IGNORED

BCFC Heritage and Archive Launched

phantom

• Admin

TAKEN FROM: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/bcfc-heritage-and-archive-launched/

The Bristol City Heritage Archive has been created to preserve the club’s archive, heritage and assets for future generations.

For many years, a small number of Bristol City Supporters have been busy amassing memorabilia collections reflecting more than 125 years of City history.

Everything from programmes, medals, team sheets, tickets, shirts, photography & video, newspaper cuttings, autographs and other memorabilia has been enthusiastically collected, retained, and carefully stored.

The BCFC Heritage and Archive Limited, an initiative of Chairman Jon Lansdown and former CEO Richard Gould, was founded in November 2022 with the aim of preserving all collections of memorabilia and history relating to Bristol City Football Club.

One of the objectives of this new company is to create a physical and digital archive of club related history so that items may one day be displayed in a Museum at Ashton Gate.

This unique incorporated vehicle has been established with three stakeholders: Bristol City Football Club Limited, Bristol City Supporters Club and Trust and Supporters (currently represented by Scott Davidson) – It’s Board of Directors includes Bristol City Chairman Jon Lansdown, COO Tom Rawcliffe, Vice-President Doug Harman, Former Chairman Scott Davidson as well as Former Players Association Members Patch Warner and Rose Jackson and Supporters Club & Trust Chairman Stuart Rogers.

Jon Lansdown, City Chairman said: “My role is to represent the football club with supporter groups and fans who have been involved in collecting artefacts.

“A number of people have already invested a huge amount of time and passion into the archive project and it’s an initiative we as a club fully support.”

Scott Davidson said: “The corporate structure of the Heritage Archive is designed to ensure the Football Club’s heritage assets will be protected for the enjoyment of future generations of City Supporters for years to come.

“Currently the ownership of many priceless items is wide-spread and we can now say with confidence that the vehicle exists to protect and preserve all collections for the future.”

Alongside the launch of the Heritage and Archive, a new initiative has been launched to to commemorate the contribution of every player to have represented the club in a senior competitive fixture*.

The Bristol City Football Club Legacy Numbers initiative assigns a unique number to every player in the club’s history, since its first recorded senior competitive game (an FA Cup Preliminary Round tie against Slough on the 5th October 1895), these numbers denote the players place in history in order of appearance.

*excluding the Gloucestershire Cup, Friendlies, FA Amateur Cup, Friendship Cup, WW1, WW2, International Fayre Cup, James Howell Cup.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

(More seriously as I said the other week I went to Copenhagen and Malmo the other week. Both had museum items dotted around the club shop and it worked really well. It’s all good having a digital archive but a physical, free, museum type piece has to be the way to go when the sporting quarter is done. We’ve heard these noises for years. Get it right this time.)

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

11 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Good to see this sort of thing,,, the museum could be in the form of glass displays inside the concourse walls?

i guess the 1909 cup final shirts must be our most valuable items, if any exist?

One was sold at auction a few years ago for 13k.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rare-bristol-city-blue-shirt-62656

I think one of the Utd shirts was sold previous to that for £8.4k.

• Like 1

Definitely needs to be a museum. I get the point of a digital archive as well but these things need to be seen for real. I wonder if Cotts and Nige will feature in it?! 😂

One of the best things on the clip though was seeing Scott Davidson and how well he looks these days. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Henry said:

Doesn’t sound there’s any real plans for a museum. I don’t see the appeal of looking at an old season ticket online.

Funnily enough  just found an old email from 2014! We were planning one then.

I do tend to agree - I also couldn’t see a link to a live digital archive. I would have thought that would have come with this launch - feels a bit rushed out before things are ready.

IMG_2471.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I do tend to agree - I also couldn’t see a link to a live digital archive. I would have thought that would have come with this launch - feels a bit rushed out before things are ready.

IMG_2471.jpeg

I remember this.

Wasn't there later talk of the shop and Museum being housed in the "new" Quarter ?

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

i guess the 1909 cup final shirts must be our most valuable items, if any exist?

Yes, they do. I've seen Fred Staniforth and Archie Annan's, the latter was worn by his great grandson at the 1909 Replayed commemoration at Crystal Palace Athletics Stadium in April 2009.

See the picture gallery and report here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/8015389.stm

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to BCFC Heritage and Archive Launched
  • Admin
54 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

IMG_2471.jpeg

I can assure you this isn't something that's being rushed 

It's been worked on behind the scenes for a number of years 

Collating items has been a very long and at times difficult experience for those involved 

12 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

All good fun this. A good initiative. Fun looking back at seasons old and seeing forgotten names! 

The thing I do like about this is that it will be available to anyone around the world, it doesn't matter if you live in Auckland or Long Ashton you can view it all equally 

10 minutes ago, Henry said:

That would require ambition and a plan.

Fortunately Scott Davidson has long been a driving force behind this.

Having heard him talking about it last year he's very passionate about constantly expanding the collection 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, wasn’t an original idea from me.

I think a few have said or thought it over the years bud. 

Museum and a bar playing footage of old games. Another place for club meet ups etc. 

Would be perfect, especially the connection and history of the land. 

• Like 1

I was told that half of the data in the world is less than 18 months old. The archive records of the early years is likely to be limited compared to the more recent material.

This project could result in quite some scope creep. Once you start it’s hard to feel the archive is complete. Initial thoughts from my side; Ticket prices through the years, capital expenditure projects, player/pick of the match award winners, club shop merchandise, pitch side advertisers, player salaries, annual accounts, stewarding, public transport links, programme format, team and supporters coaches, club ties and blazers through the years, terrace fashion, live televised games.

Edited by sugarwray
Typo
  • Like 2