IGNORED

Sniffer dogs at football grounds

Glasgow Red

2 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

But you're not "treated in that way" by the state because of a desire to erode civil liberties....you're "treated in that way" because of the idiots who do do something illegal.  I would respectfully suggest your annoyance is aimed in the wrong direction.  If it wasn't for coked up, tanked up bell-ends then the police and dogs wouldn't be seen as required. To me, that's the biggest problem in society.  No accountability levelled at our peers (i.e. general citizens) and instead being aimed at the public services.

* the reason for the inverted commas is that I don't actually understand in what way you feel you were treated...you've admitted that at no time did anyone ask to search you, so it seems the treatment was in having a dog sniff around near where you were?  

Sorry but id rather run the risk of being with what you describe as "tanked up bellends" than being made to feel like a criminal for no reason. If that's the trade off then I 100% stand on the side of not having police treat good citizens like that. 

No accountability for our peers? what are you talking about? Ever heard of the criminal justice system? There are other ways to catch and treat people breaking the law without making the vast majority feel uncomfortable.

The playbook here is always the same. People like you defend it as harmless. But we all know that if I had put up any kind of objection (which i would have been within my rights to do) to the dogs being put around me I would have been jumped on by 10 old bill and searched, maybe even arrested. Its only harmless until the slightest provocation or innocent objection and they treat us like animals, wise up!

Edited by Glasgow Red
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

Sorry but id rather run the risk of being with what you describe as "tanked up bellends" than being made to feel like a criminal for no reason. If that's the trade off then I 100% stand on the side of not having police treat good citizens like that. 

No accountability for our peers? what are you talking about? Ever heard of the criminal justice system? There are other ways to catch and treat people breaking the law without making the vast majority feel uncomfortable.

The playbook here is always the same. People like you defend it as harmless. But we all know that if I had put up any kind of objection (which i would have been within my rights to do) to the dogs being put around me I would have been jumped on by 10 old bill and searched, maybe even arrested. Its only harmless until the slightest provocation or innocent objection and they treat us like animals, wise up!

Well from the majority of views on here it would appear that most of us are happier to have a dog sniffing the air than be around people under the excesses of alcohol and drugs at football.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but it seems most of us don’t share it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

“A dog walked round my feet, I feel so violated!”

Just as a fair warning mate, never ever go to Crufts. 

I know this is a joke but the obvious difference is that would be out of choice 😜

13 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well from the majority of views on here it would appear that most of us are happier to have a dog sniffing the air than be around people under the excesses of alcohol and drugs at football.

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but it seems most of us don’t share it.

"I know nothing im just sat here looking at pretty colours"

1 minute ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Pretty rare that police will deploy drugs dogs at football but I’ve seen private security dogs doing it at a few places.

Not sure I’ve seen it at Ashton Gate 

I can't remember the last away game I went to where there weren't loads of sniffer dogs at the entrance (West Ham, Leeds, Leicester, Forest, QPR)

Just now, Glasgow Red said:

"I know nothing im just sat here looking at pretty colours"

Not sure if you’re trying to be funny or making out that I’m a bootlicker as you called someone earlier.

but I can assure you I’ve seen a lot more pain and distress caused by people intoxicated or off their heads on drugs than I’ve ever seen caused by a dog detecting drugs or pyros.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Old father Isewater told me before a public speaking engagement ‘ Son, imagine the audience naked and you won’t be intimidated ‘

I suppose it could be said that posting on a public forum is a bit like making a speech.

So..........taking your advice, I have to say, it's not looking good from where I'm sat.

Without naming names, there are a few excess pounds since December, some rashes that won't go away following the last trip to Birmingham and some tattoos that would benefit from some laser treatment.

12 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

I know this is a joke but the obvious difference is that would be out of choice 😜

It was a joke but my point is that I’m not sure how a dog walking around your feet violated your right to privacy in any way. Simple fact is, it didn’t. 

The only way it violates your right to privacy is if you were carrying something illegal in which case it’s tantamount to saying “how dare the police investigate my movements, it’s my right to murder!”

40 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It was a joke but my point is that I’m not sure how a dog walking around your feet violated your right to privacy in any way. Simple fact is, it didn’t. 

The only way it violates your right to privacy is if you were carrying something illegal in which case it’s tantamount to saying “how dare the police investigate my movements, it’s my right to murder!”

To be fair Fordy, Police regard football fans as a soft target.

I dont expect you to agree with that of course.

No way is there the level or approach of policing at other events in Bristol I could name, which are rife with drugtaking and violence.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Fordy you are kind of proving my point. This is how coppers can think, you are now suggesting I was doing something wrong! Oh dear!

14 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

No way is there the level or approach of policing at other events in Bristol I could name, which are rife with drugtaking and violence.

Yes! And this is where most of the arguments in this thread fall down. End of the day, the scrutiny and surveillance football fans come under is just not fair or subjective compared to other events where plenty of drugs and anti social behaviour happen. I dont even think many would disagree with that. Its obvious.

Edited by Glasgow Red
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well you chose to go to the match and these are things that can happen in todays society

Sad to hear a fellow fan thinks I should stay away from going to see my team because drunk on power cops want to shove their dogs in my face. Not really a nice way to say it but I do think you have bootlicking tendancies here, sorry mate.

1 minute ago, Glasgow Red said:

Sad to hear a fellow fan thinks I should stay away from going to see my team because drunk on power cops want to shove their dogs in my face. Not really a nice way to say it but I do think you have bootlicking tendancies here, sorry mate.

Don’t think I said you should stay away.

i said that you made the choice to go which you did, I presume you weren’t forced to go ?

And I said that this is something we know can happen.

what part of what I said there is wrong and at what point did I say you should stay away ?

You say they were power hungry cops shoving dogs in your face but that’s your opinion, nobody else seems to be complaining about the way they were treated last night.

You know nothing about me or my tendencies and as you’re not my mate I’d appreciate it if you didn’t use that term towards me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

To be fair Fordy, Police regard football fans as a soft target.

I dont expect you to agree with that of course.

Is there anything that attracts drugs and violence like football does? Theres an incredible amount of coke at football matches - and I know that as a supporter rather than a copper. And the people most up for a fight? Coked (and beefed) up footy fans. 

24 minutes ago, Glasgow Red said:

Fordy you are kind of proving my point. This is how coppers can think, you are now suggesting I was doing something wrong! Oh dear!

I don’t believe I said that at all, I’m merely saying having a dog walk around your feet is not in any way violating your right to privacy. I just can’t understand how you could think that. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Is there anything that attracts drugs and violence like football does? Theres an incredible amount of coke at football matches - and I know that as a supporter rather than a copper. And the people most up for a fight? Coked (and beefed) up footy fans. 

I think another point to add to that is that the sorts of events they’re talking about will have security staff who are far more likely and willing to get hands on with people causing trouble at these events so they is how they are policed.

that won’t happen with the stewarding at Ashton Gate and quite right to.

Im sure the posters complaining wouldn’t like to be manhandled by stewards at Ashton Gate like they could be a a festival or a club night 

19 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

You know nothing about me or my tendencies and as you’re not my mate I’d appreciate it if you didn’t use that term towards me.

Tyler James Williams Eye Roll GIF by ABC Network

Sounds like a cop or ex cop?

Edited by Glasgow Red

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t believe I said that at all, I’m merely saying having a dog walk around your feet is not in any way violating your right to privacy. I just can’t understand how you could think that. 

In fairness i did kind of backtrack on "privacy" when someone else pointed it out. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Im sure the posters complaining wouldn’t like to be manhandled by stewards at Ashton Gate like they could be a a festival or a club night 

If stewards are manhandling people they are most probably breaking the law. Its a weird comparison. 

6 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I think another point to add to that is that the sorts of events they’re talking about will have security staff who are far more likely and willing to get hands on with people causing trouble at these events so they is how they are policed.

that won’t happen with the stewarding at Ashton Gate and quite right to.

This is valid although what I would say, is that using shall we say more robust Security Staff can pose an issue at football as you have a very different crowd dynamic or have done for many years.

I remember pre Covid, in 2017 v Stoke a kid was pushed off a seat by a Security Guard type Steward ie probably Door Staff or something..crowd turned in a flash.

Heavy handed tactics unless clearly justified with members of a football crowd can see it turn sharply and unpredictably.

Just picking up on Fordys point, I can't think what else in the Bristol area could attract as much police interest as a football match at AG.

The potential for disorder is clearly there and although most games might be trouble free, if the police do not prepare with suitable caution they could be liable in some way.

Happy to hear if there are similar events I might have forgotten about.