IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Of course,had cornick and bell not missed sitters that win could of been huge,if it is down to boro being dogcrap or our manager saying have a go only time will tell 

Cornick missing a sitter? Really? 😂

• Facepalm 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

Did you read para 3 of OP ?

See below 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards

The above is certainly not how I saw the game 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, what was weaker about our eleven today?  We have a fairly similar ability squad in general.  Pring, TGH back in today for example.

I think those two are a good example of where we weren't weaker, but starting a tiered Bell Infront of Tanner, Wells/Knight up top over Conway/Wells I would assume is down to Knight recovering better.  Cornick over Anis who's been good recently, I would also assume is down to recovery.  McCrorie over Tanner for me in that shape.  There were lots of changes not surprising given that recovery for different individuals will have played a role.

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Didn't they say that the only players on the pitch by the end that had played the whole 120 was Dickie and Vyner? 

How many games have these players played in the last month though? Absolutely loads. We earned those 3 points today and deserved it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that LM would also be looking to conserve energy for Tuesday’s match against the divisions form team. Three games in seven days. :noexp:

Why risk the 3 points you have 'in the bag.' Surely better to make sure you win this one and let Tuesday take care of its self. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think we were just trying to defend a lead, which isn't exactly an unusual or controversial tactic.

Not a general approach I favour KITR , and certainly if at all if and when you are forced to , not at half time , if what you’re doing is working keep doing it 

Especially for a squad that has played a lot of football, and is playing away from home at a decent team

But - maybe an argument in this case due to above .

To defend a lead you need either more defenders on the pitch, more players in defensive positions, or both.

I assume that's what Manning had in mind, and ultimately it worked. 

Edited by Sheltons Army

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Fair enough, but a team of Boro’s quality we were one slip away from conceding, saved by the offside call the limo must have had excellent vision as it looked like Greenwood was inside.

Interesting about the offside I've not seen anything to show it was a mistake by the linesman 

Ultimately it didn't count so it's irrelevant 

You could say we were a slip away from conceding but equally we were fine margins away from scoring more goals in the first half 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I assume that's what Manning had in mind, and ultimately it worked. 

There's still a strong feeling that some posters can't praise Manning. 

• Like 10

I don’t like the system (3 or 5 at the back) but I think for Mannning, it was about getting the right players on the pitch. 

Boro were always going to come out flying second half and they had to improve. Obviously we were always going to tire too, but we earned the right to defend the lead and ultimately, it worked.

Nothing short of a sensational effort IMO. Back home early hours Thursday, travelling up north again Friday so barely no recovery or preparation. 

I’ve got zero complaints!!! COYRs!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Interesting about the offside I've not seen anything to show it was a mistake by the linesman 

Ultimately it didn't count so it's irrelevant 

You could say we were a slip away from conceding but equally we were fine margins away from scoring more goals in the first half 

There's still a strong feeling that some posters can't praise Manning. 

Without repeating myself I was a big Pearson fan but some of the negativity should be aimed at the pillocks running the club,Manning is doing ok,if Pearson was still in charge would a thread like this even be started 

Edited by joe jordans teeth
  • Like 1
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

A huge sense of disappointment, frustration and anger about the second half performance.

No problem with a half-time sub (assume Cornick a knock), but why the change in shape from the first half where we controlled so much of the 45 mins?

They played through us, around us, behind us.  We had no answer.  CB spacing went to pot as they slid in their forwards.

To end, well done though, three points, winless run over, a big boost after a tough set of fixtures.

And chilllllllllll. 😉

Some people just like to moan….

👀

• Haha 8
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

We earned those 3 points today and deserved it.

Yep, I always say every point earned by Bristol City in the championship is a well earned point.

We did earn it today too.  We did more than enough first half, we made unnecessarily hard work of it is all I’m trying to say in my OP.

• Like 3

Tbh there is some logic to switching things around at half time when ahead to bluff the opposition manager as, in theory, he would be putting a plan in place to counter the way we were playing in the first half. However if we can see things aren't working then we should be looking to change mid game. I guess while we always had the luxury of a 2 goal cushion we had a buffer so as not to panic. If boro had scored earlier then maybe LM would've changed things again. Who knows!? But overall he's got us into a 2 goal lead at a tough place & after the exertions of the recent overload so fair play. The 3 or 5 did work OK against West ham, Watford and Forest but the 3 reverted to a 5 v Leeds & it seems it did so again today and when you play with a 3 & 5 there will always be a tendency to drop into a 5 & 3 as those wide players are invariably fullbacks by trade. Let's hope LM learns lessons by testing things & we certainly have the basis of a good squad just lacking that bit of quality up top.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

🤣tbf apart from that he played well I thought 

I thought it was a top class save. I also thought Bell was a little unlucky in that the pass meant he got to the ball about a metre from the goalkeeper and he had no room to do much but try and hit it through him.

2 minutes ago, JAWS said:

Tbh there is some logic to switching things around at half time when ahead to bluff the opposition manager as, in theory, he would be putting a plan in place to counter the way we were playing in the first half. However if we can see things aren't working then we should be looking to change mid game. I guess while we always had the luxury of a 2 goal cushion we had a buffer so as not to panic. If boro had scored earlier then maybe LM would've changed things again. Who knows!? But overall he's got us into a 2 goal lead at a tough place & after the exertions of the recent overload so fair play. The 3 or 5 did work OK against West ham, Watford and Forest but the 3 reverted to a 5 v Leeds & it seems it did so again today and when you play with a 3 & 5 there will always be a tendency to drop into a 5 & 3 as those wide players are invariably fullbacks by trade. Let's hope LM learns lessons by testing things & we certainly have the basis of a good squad just lacking that bit of quality up top.

Top response mate 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

No issue with us defending a lead at all but I was surprised we barely even got to put our foot on the ball for a couple of five minute periods to regain our concentration/have a rest/take the sting out. It felt pretty full on defending to me.

There's defending a lead, and inviting a level of pressure which you can't sustain... I felt we were getting towards to latter at times. Really glad they held out but it didn't feel entirely controlled to me as those defensive performances sometimes can.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Without repeating myself I was a big Pearson fan but some of the negativity should be aimed at the pillocks running the club,Manning is doing ok,if Pearson was still in charge would a thread like this even be started 

I feel the same way. It aint Manning's fault he was given the job. If we won today and Pearson was in charge we'd all be happy (maybe except for Ian).

• Like 1

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why you getting personal about footballing opinions? 

Here we go, always playing the victim. 

You have an opinion that's obvious, what you don't have is any ability to waiver from that opinion when it's proved completely wrong. You are the absolute opposite of a anyone who should be on a forum, you are incapable of debate, only contradiction.

• Like 3