IGNORED

Great Result, but….

Davefevs

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

The question I have tho is this, did Boro come out fired up? Or did us changing our shape and therefore our mentality cause them to come out fired up and on the front foot? 

They came out fired up. No matter what a team 0-2 at home to a team they think they should beat will come out second half determined to change their fortunes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George Rs said:

They came out fired up. No matter what a team 0-2 at home to a team they think they should beat will come out second half determined to change their fortunes. 

And in fairness we should react to that.  But we didn’t.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed.  And just like when we might lose, there are positives to take, and I’ll post about them, there is nothing wrong to critique a win and some “less than good” parts.

Correct. Funnily enough something LM talks about quite a lot, never getting to high up or too low, taking both the positives and things to work on no matter the result. 

I just think I disagree about what makes a good defensive performance personally, but don’t have a problem critiquing a win. 

27 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Having not seen the game, and as someone who has expressed doubts over Liam’s in game management, I’m just posting here to say I’m not hiding - I just don’t think I’m appropriately qualified to comment today so will leave the debate to the rest of you!

When did not being in possession of the facts make anyone unqualified to post on OTIB. 

Posts and comments from people not appropriately qualified are absolutely the lifeblood of this place.

I demand to know your thoughts on today's game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The question I have tho is this, did Boro come out fired up? Or did us changing our shape and therefore our mentality cause them to come out fired up and on the front foot? 

Of course they did - any team would and the change of shape was probably down to Manning anticipating what Boro would do - and it worked.

Well to read this its just as well we did not lose or draw as would have been a major melt down

I watched the game, its possible to say the shape change handed them some initiative, but equally we do not know what would have happened had we not changed, a part from  loads of threads saying why did we not change and look after our lead if we ended up with 1 or 0 points.

I think its very unlikely we could have kept up the pressing and closing down we did in the 1st half to create the control we had, especially as tiredness kicked in and Boro were also unlikely to be as bad after a rocket at half time.

It was a superb attacking and defensive performance and don't think criticism is deserved particularly after 120minutes against a prem team, where we were the better side

Only negative I had during the game was how lazy Conway was, he must have been close to being subbed as a sub 

• Like 2

It could just be that LM remembered the reverse fixture where Boro changed their tactics after half time and we lost our two goal lead after five minutes and he was criticised for not reacting. He may well have told the team to keep things tight at the start until we saw what their approach would be, it was fairly predictable we wouldn't have it as easy. In the first half Cornick was obviously told he'd be off at half time so put maximum effort into the first 45 minutes and he was involved in most of our good moves during that period.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Fatigued or not, we played badly second half…that is the point of the thread.

Can we not critique the team and the Head Coach’s tactics?

Yes, and it's welcome. How can we improve without critiquing the bad points. Keep up the good work Dave.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Manning "the plan worked well first half" 

So why did we change that plan then? 

So the manager recognised what worked the first half. I think from viewing the game, it was an attacking game and domination of the first half. Wasn’t expecting any change unless we needed to in response to Middlesborough’s changes. 

If Cornick was replaced due to injury? then fair enough if not any change, it really felt like “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”.

I guess you could take the first half as a glass half full, that we defended really well everything they came at us with, but as others have said attacking is always better than defending and we too often end games on a knife edge despite leading 2-0. 

I think what people want to know and see is that we can play like we did in the first half and maintain it. We won’t always be able to defend like that against better teams. 

Overall well played, they were clearly tired and I see something emerging but areas to work on for sure.  

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Bit childish that Dave if you are doing it for tit for tat,you are better than that 

Not being childish one little bit.  And most certainly not posting anything for tit for tat.

Today’s opinions from me are:

Tanner was ace

Wells and Knight pressed brilliantly.

Team were ace 1st half

Set-up 2nd have was poor and contributed to an uncomfortable end to a game.

Overall; great result.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Of course they did - any team would and the change of shape was probably down to Manning anticipating what Boro would do - and it worked.

I'm not sure that's correct. 

You're saying it's a given that any team would come put fired up after half time and on the front foot? I've watched thousands of football games and I can certainly say that's not always the case. 

The question I put forward to you was which you didn't answer was, how much did Boro put on pressure and how much did we invite pressure? 

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It used to be said that the mark of a good team is that they can play badly and win…

I’d be more angry if we played well and lost.

Might be worth reading my OP and Title.

I’m only feeling what I posted about the second half.  There’s a broader context of tye whole game in my post just above this one!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure that's correct. 

You're saying it's a given that any team would come put fired up after half time and on the front foot? I've watched thousands of football games and I can certainly say that's not always the case. 

The question I put forward to you was which you didn't answer was, how much did Boro put on pressure and how much did we invite pressure? 

That’s a chicken and egg question Seagull - who know………….:dunno:

Six of one and half a dozen of the other.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not being childish one little bit.  And most certainly not posting anything for tit for tat.

Tanner was ace

Team were ace 1st half

Overall; great result.

Okay points made then , time to leave it ? 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

No, not imho we didn’t.  We didn’t react at all to what became one way traffic.

We attempted to by bringing on McCrorie and moving to 3 at the back and congesting the middle. I don't think we had the options on the bench to properly react to it, we ended up going a bit deeper and losing the midfield battle as players tired.

Felt we dealt with their dominance well for the majority of the half really, it wasn't as if they were lining up shot after shot

Just now, JBFC II said:

We attempted to by bringing on McCrorie and moving to 3 at the back and congesting the middle. I don't think we had the options on the bench to properly react to it, we ended up going a bit deeper and losing the midfield battle as players tired.

Felt we dealt with their dominance well for the majority of the half really, it wasn't as if they were lining up shot after shot

We moved to the back 3 right at the start of the second 45, not when McCrorie came on, fwiw.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We moved to the back 3 right at the start of the second 45, not when McCrorie came on, fwiw.

Did we? From where I saw it, Mehmeti was a straight swap for Cornick and McCrorie came on for Bell at around 60 minutes which saw a change in shape.

Not always easy to see shape from the angle we were at though!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tanner was ace

Team were ace 1st half

Overall; great result.

That’s stating the obvious though,did it need a thread 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, phantom said:

There's still a strong feeling that some posters can't praise Manning. 

It’s weird isn’t it.

I’m encouraged by him, think with backing & a full pre-season we could actually be on for achieving something more.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, not imho we didn’t.  We didn’t react at all to what became one way traffic.

Well we did - we decided to contain & protect a 2-0 lead & we won the game. 

If we'd have kept trying to pile forward against an improved, quality side who were chasing the game, they'd probably have overturned the deficit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That’s stating the obvious though,did it need a thread 

I agree with Dave. Great win, but we went to pieces in the second half and a team like Southampton could have killed us off.  Its a worthwhile discussion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1