IGNORED

FBC Podcast - BORO [A] the verdict ..... a hard fought win in a game of two halves

Curr Avon

After the midweek exertions against Forest few were expecting City to win their first league game of 2024 at the Riverside but they did just that with a spirited display and two goals in the space of as many minutes quite early in the first half put them firmly in control.

They might have gone in at half time with a 3-goal lead had Sam Bell not allowed the keeper to smother the ball in a one-on-one situation but the second half was a different story as Boro camped in our half, had a goal disallowed, pulled one back & didn't capitalise on a good free kick position in the 96th minute when only 5 minutes of added on time had been signalled.

Ian, Mark & DaveP dissect the action and look forward to Tuesday's game against Southampton.

Plus, a message from Belgium...

Decent pod that one. Ian was calm and not rude. Clearly has a source in the club and pretty obvious it’s Tinnion.  Said that Atkinson, Naismith and Sykes will play for under 23s Tuesday which is good news.  Didn’t like his idea of reducing the league to 20 teams to reduce games though. 

Analysis on game was fair and measured.  Good work lads 

7 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Didn’t like his idea of reducing the league to 20 teams to reduce games though. 

Haven’t listened yet.

Was there talk of the lost revenues from less games, and changes to player wage / contract expectations as a result?

I’d remove extra-time in replays.

I would think about the calendar and whether you could make each month(ish) contain similar amounts of midweek games, so you don’t get heavy blocks of Sat / Tues.

24 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

Decent pod that one. Ian was calm and not rude. Clearly has a source in the club and pretty obvious it’s Tinnion.  Said that Atkinson, Naismith and Sykes will play for under 23s Tuesday which is good news.  Didn’t like his idea of reducing the league to 20 teams to reduce games though. 

Analysis on game was fair and measured.  Good work lads 

U21s.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t listened yet.

Was there talk of the lost revenues from less games, and changes to player wage / contract expectations as a result?

I would think about the calendar and whether you could make each month(ish) contain similar amounts of midweek games, so you don’t get heavy blocks of Sat / Tues.

Yes the lost revenue was bought up and someone said it will never happen, which it obviously won’t.  They will stop cup replays which I personally think is an awful idea. Agreed on extra time, it’s pointless 

Just now, bcfc01 said:

U21s.

Oops! Sorry! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t listened yet.

re. lost revenues, didn't comment too much on that. Back in the day, what is now the Championship was a 22 team division which if ever replicated would see the loss of 2 home games compared to now. Recently we've been getting c6000 pay on the day so all other things being equal you are losing 12k home fans and, say, 5k away followers which I calculate as c£350k loss revenue. As far as Season Tickets are concerned to charge the same for less games would be a likely and unpopular move by the club and equivalent to a 8.7% increase - shrinkflation I think they call it and I drew the parallel by being charged the same for a smaller digestive biscuit.!!😁 

To go from Championship to Prem and "lose" 4 home games is more than mitigated by being able to charge substantially more.

We agreed removing extra time and even replays would be beneficial if the view is that the players are being worked too hard.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, headhunter said:

re. lost revenues, didn't comment too much on that. Back in the day, what is now the Championship was a 22 team division which if ever replicated would see the loss of 2 home games compared to now. Recently we've been getting c6000 pay on the day so all other things being equal you are losing 12k home fans and, say, 5k away followers which I calculate as c£350k loss revenue. As far as Season Tickets are concerned to charge the same for less games would be a likely and unpopular move by the club and equivalent to a 8.7% increase - shrinkflation I think they call it and I drew the parallel by being charged the same for a smaller digestive biscuit.!!😁 

To go from Championship to Prem and "lose" 4 home games is more than mitigated by being able to charge substantially more.

We agreed removing extra time and even replays would be beneficial if the view is that the players are being worked too hard.

Ta DP.  Looks like you covered the main angles.

• Like 1

@Curr Avon I know you know this but the amount of additional time signalled is the minimum.

So if a side scores in injury time (like Boro did) further time will then be added on because of the delay before the restart.

Of course the variance in interpretation of additional time is far more questionable.

• Like 3

Isn’t the reason to get rid of replays is because the PL clubs want to. 

When the top clubs next season have added a minimum of 2 extra European games could be 4 depends if they finish high enough in the Swiss league format.

The top clubs get richer by playing these games and non PL clubs who need the money from replays lose out on extra revenue.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Leabrook said:

Didn’t like his idea of reducing the league to 20 teams to reduce games though. 

I'll be honest and say I don't listen so much to Podcasts these days, but is this a new take from Ian?

Put another way did he have this view under NP I wonder. We had a similar number of fixtures last year of course across all competitions albeit slightly differently distributed owing to the WC games.

That aside, I will listen and it sounds a new stance or is it?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Isn’t the reason to get rid of replays is because the PL clubs want to. 

When the top clubs next season have added a minimum of 2 extra European games could be 4 depends if they finish high enough in the Swiss league format.

The top clubs get richer by playing these games and non PL clubs who need the money from replays lose out on extra revenue.

Yep. 

It started off with them getting rid of replays from r5 onwards. And also r5 being played midweek. 

Now they want even more so they can play more games in other competitions. 

For me it's not about the lost revenue as such but more about the lost memories football fans would get from not having those replays. 

• Like 1