IGNORED

League Tables

cellist

Came across this on facebook regarding the Observer's irregular presentation of clubs' names in the printed league tables. For example, they print Accrington Stanley in full...but Crewe (without the Alexandra)! This reader was bewildered by the inconsistency. Glad to see him holding the Observer to account for falling journalistic standards, and look forward to the response!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dullmensclub/permalink/1481044225885447/

(I'm not a member of the Dull Men's Club, but I do think I'd fit in!)

This was then discussed on the "Football Cliches" podcast (always worth a listen - link below) at around 29 mins in and we get a mention - one of the presenters (a Watford fan) was watching the West Ham game with a West Ham fan who kept calling us "Bristol" rather than Bristol City, and he said he found it annoying and wanted to correct him. I found this refreshing - as I don't hear many people outside Bristol usually bother. Living in London, many people I've known a long time still sometimes get confused and forget which team I support and what league we're in. Or they forget there are two clubs in Bristol.

We are a funny bunch about this though aren't we - on the one hand we sing "there's only one team in Bristol" - and on the other hand we say "we're Bristol City - you wouldn't say Manchester or Sheffield", both of which are famously two club cities. Can we have it both ways?

We'll have to confront this head on when we get to the Premier league for the benefit of Paul Merson et al knowing what to call us...! 

• Like 1

Yep, heard that this morning.

Football Cliches is very funny and an antidote to taking the game too seriously.

After all we need to know why some teams are given their full name in league tables and others not, which players in what positions are allowed to wear long sleeved shirts or what the threshold is for saying a team hasn't laid a glove on the opposition. Work of national importance. 😁

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, cellist said:

We are a funny bunch about this though aren't we - on the one hand we sing "there's only one team in Bristol" - and on the other hand we say "we're Bristol City - you wouldn't say Manchester or Sheffield", both of which are famously two club cities. Can we have it both ways?

No, hence I don't have an issue with being called "Bristol".

PS. My one request with league tables is that they be ranked by points per game rather than total points. Will never happen but it would make it a much fairer reflection of each team's position in the middle of the season.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Yep, heard that this morning.

Football Cliches is very funny and an antidote to taking the game too seriously.

After all we need to know why some teams are given their full name in league tables and others not, which players in what positions are allowed to wear long sleeved shirts or what the threshold is for saying a team hasn't laid a glove on the opposition. Work of national importance. 😁

Any famous long shirt wearers in City colours over the years? I'm pretty sure I remember a photo of Pete Styvar in long sleeves, or at least some sort of base layer. No surprise it didn't work out really.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cellist said:

Any famous long shirt wearers in City colours over the years? I'm pretty sure I remember a photo of Pete Styvar in long sleeves, or at least some sort of base layer. No surprise it didn't work out really.

Didn't Luke Freeman have a penchant for the long sleeve?