IGNORED

FBC Podcast - Southampton [H] the verdict ..... Wow, just wow!!!

Curr Avon

City were fully deserving of 3 points against the high flying Saints whose impressive 25 game unbeaten run was brought to a shuddering halt in the most complete performance seen at Ashton Gate for a very long time.

Manning talked pre-match about a game plan and City stuck to it in a manner that suggests the players have bought into the manager's approach whilst he too has shown he has the nous to make the best out of a squad he inherited as they executed a counter-attacking style with aplomb.

Ian, Mark, Tim join DaveP in reviewing the match and looking forward to Saturday's game vs. QPR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last night was much more back to the future, a city easy to identify, rather than revolution.  It was almost as though it was a team playing to its strengths and doing it extremely well.

We were the eternal opposite of Southampton, when for a while this season that was the way we were going 

My father insists last night was how "manning-ball" was always meant to be, i totally disagree. I see a manager who has ditched much of his ideology -because he recognized this team isn't made for that, even control. He saw what works with this squad- and found a pot of gold last night.

It doesn't bother me how we got here.  Stay with the hustle, energy, intensity and overall approach both ON and off the ball, ill take it every time , even when the end product will someties be missing.

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 7

“And we’ll have a pause for these” …. 🤣

image.gif.16298b4c6fcac24c0ff4598f67d2229b.gif

Guess the Ads are a work in progress 🤣 

Great POD. Certainly feeling positive today. Everything was executed superbly yesterday. Real sense of jubilation walking out from the ground. 

I thought we pretty much controlled the game despite what the stats state.

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Haha 1

Why did Ian get so touchy and defensive when Dave mentioned that the squad depth has now transformed and then mentioned about how it wasn't like this under Pearson? 

Ultimately Bristol City existed before Lism Manning came here. So why can't we talk about things that have happened this season? 

Hilarious that he suggested that Pearson had a stronger squad here when Pearson joined than the one Manning has inherited. 

Its pretty obvious why he has these opinions. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why did Ian get so touchy and defensive when Dave mentioned that the squad depth has now transformed and then mentioned about how it wasn't like this under Pearson? 

Ultimately Bristol City existed before Lism Manning came here. So why can't we talk about things that have happened this season? 

Hilarious that he suggested that Pearson had a stronger squad here when Pearson joined than the one Manning has inherited. 

Its pretty obvious why he has these opinions. 

I’m starting to think you’re actually Nigel Pearson. 

@headhuntersaid he would welcome you on the pod and asked you to DM him. Why don’t you go on and actually have these conversations with Ian? I think you’d have a decent debate. 

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Sorry @TomSutton, I cut and pasted the text without checking. Schoolboy error.

Cutting and pasting when you were at school involved scissors and glue ! 

Ian and Dave still reminisce ( and probably argue about selection)re the 1909 FA Cup Final. 

• Haha 1

On 14/02/2024 at 19:21, W-S-M Seagull said:

It’s pretty obvious why he has these opinions. 

This did make laugh. Good ole Ian coming out with his favourite line of you can’t keep looking back and then mentions the squad Pearson had when he first joined 😂

@headhunterthink 3 peeps are more independent than Forever Bristol now Ian is on the “inside” and the mouth piece of Bristol City!

• Haha 1

Not listened to the Podcast next, will probably have a listen to 2-3 on Sunday but I thought the performance was..

*Akin to those under NP at their best.

*However with some added possession or accuracy in possession.

Having a deeper squad very much helps. TGH-McCrorie-Cornick (Wells dummy).

Best traits of both IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not listened to the Podcast next, will probably have a listen to 2-3 on Sunday but I thought the performance was..

*Akin to those under NP at their best.

*However with some added possession or accuracy in possession.

Having a deeper squad very much helps. TGH-McCrorie-Cornick (Wells dummy).

Best traits of both IMO.

The only thing I’d add is that in light of the opposition, the run they were on, the financial gulf, etc…it’s probably the best performance and result in a long while.  Because of that I’d really have to check Nige’s results, because one doesn’t immediately jump out at me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only thing I’d add is that in light of the opposition, the run they were on, the financial gulf, etc…it’s probably the best performance and result in a long while.  Because of that I’d really have to check Nige’s results, because one doesn’t immediately jump out at me.

Oh agreed, it was our first statement win over a freshly relegated club in some while..performance, financial gulf, them effectively having a half to two thirds PLesque squad it was definitely outstanding.

I thought tactically though there were similarities to NP ball at its best but with some possession aspects added.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Oh agreed, it was our first statement win over a freshly relegated club in some while..performance, financial gulf, them effectively having a half to two thirds PLesque squad it was definitely outstanding.

I thought tactically though there were similarities to NP ball at its best but with some possession aspects added.

I think its a difficult comparison. 

Did Nige achieve a result like this against a recently relegated team who are looking to go straight back up? Nope. 

But did Nige have a team like we have now? Also nope. 

For me, and others may disagree, anything before this season can be written off under Nige. He was building the team we now have. 

This season was the first time where the squad was in a decent shape. All the dead wood gone etc. 

• Like 3

On 14/02/2024 at 16:09, The turtle said:

Last night was much more back to the future, a city easy to identify, rather than revolution.  It was almost as though it was a team playing to its strengths and doing it extremely well.

We were the eternal opposite of Southampton, when for a while this season that was the way we were going 

My father insists last night was how "manning-ball" was always meant to be, i totally disagree. I see a manager who has ditched much of his ideology -because he recognized this team isn't made for that, even control. He saw what works with this squad- and found a pot of gold last night.

It doesn't bother me how we got here.  Stay with the hustle, energy, intensity and overall approach both ON and off the ball, ill take it every time , even when the end product will someties be missing.

Yup I had a similar conversation with a friend tonight. Tuesday put us where we should have been - playing to the strengths of the squad. I understand LM having philosophies but it has been - to date - change for changes sake for me. We play QPR tomorrow. In LMs first game against them he overcomplicated, spoke about making us solid defensively (when we were already) first and it lead to an awful performance. It was almost as if he thought by taking over he had to start from zero. He didn’t - he had to start from six. If he’s in that space now we’re in a good place.

Tuesday was a great start. It’s about building on that now.

• Like 9