IGNORED

The elephant in the room

W-S-M Seagull

On 21/02/2024 at 06:55, Silvio Dante said:

On this point (as it’s one of mine!) I think you have to in large part take the cup as an exception as motivations, team selections etc are so varied. Did George Elekobi outfox Kieran McKenna etc? In Forests prior round Blackpool took them to a replay and extra time. The motivation factor here is huge and cup performances are often outliers - to give a great example our Liverpool games were in 1994 where Osman outfoxed Souness for three games but was dogshit elsewhere!

That isn’t to downplay we did excellently on those games against West Ham and Forest - it’s to say that you’d generally look at the league to remove external factor bias when considering performance trends

Massively agree with this.

The Cup games were great fun - and we've had precious little of that for years - but I never let Cup form muddy the waters. And take this season's Cup games away and what positives are we left with when trying to weigh up Liam Manning? Very little.

In 1974 our cup win at Leeds was so astonishing it had media outlets shouting "Hold the front page!". We were rubbish in the league, Dolman wanting Dicks sacked.

And I always think of 88-89 when we reached the League Cup semifinal - an exhilarating cup run full of amazing, memorable games (remember them?). Yet we were rubbish in the league. Of course, we got our recruitment spot on the following summer and were promoted the following season.

I wonder what the odds are on history repeating? I'm a betting man but won't be taking those odds, whatever they are.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4

Just now, Merrick's Marvels said:

Massively agree with this.

The Cup games were great fun - and we've had precious little of that for years - but I never let Cup form muddy the waters. And take this season's Cup games away and what positives are we left with when trying to weigh up Liam Manning? Very little.

In 1974 our cup win at Leeds was so astonishing it had media outlets shouting "Hold the front page!". We were rubbish in the league, Dolman wanting Dicks sacked.

And I always think of 88-89 when we reached the League Cup semifinal - an exhilarating cup run full of amazing, memorable games (remember them?). Yet we were rubbish in the league.

Of course, we got our recruitment spot on the following summer and were promoted the following season.

I wonder what the odds are on history repeating? I'm a betting man but won't be taking the odds, whatever they are.

I'd say it is a bit different not least even putting current hierarchy issues to one side, the Parachute Payment advantage, FFP etc.

Were we 3rd tier in 1989 too? Again a big difference, the Cotts season a good comparable..recruitment spot on, smash the League.

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Of course, we got our recruitment spot on the following summer and were promoted the following season.

I wonder what the odds are on history repeating? I'm a betting man but won't be taking the odds, whatever they are.

I always think recruitment is "relatively" easy for us in LG1 - we're a big draw at that level. That's not to diminish what the likes of Jordan or Cotterill achieved but at Championship level there's far more attractive options than us.

• Like 9
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I always think recruitment is "relatively" easy for us in LG1 - we're a big draw at that level. That's not to diminish what the likes of Jordan or Cotterill achieved but at Championship level there's far more attractive options than us.

Not wrong. We are the definition of a big fish at league one, and subject to finances, would be very high on the list for players at that level who were available. Ignoring current positions, if we were at that level I’d say it’s probably only Derby who are unquestionably a bigger draw (yes I know we just signed Bird but it’s hypothetical).

And it is worth bringing in here that despite the sales in the prior year, Liam did have a top six budget at Dons to build his side the year he got sacked.

So, we’re probably at the point here where we’re a middling championship side - far from the most attractive in either size or wages. I don’t think the recruitment policy has broadly been wrong in view of that but, again, I have doubts that there are enough signs that Liam will push us on to the top six and outperform his budget - it feels more like the Liverpool season than the Forest one to me!

• Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 18:43, Maltshoveller said:

He cant lose can he

If he is wrong it means City are doing well

If he is right He can say "I told you so"

I have a feeling He wants it to be the latter 

He wanted Frank Lampard to be manager for some strange reason 🤦🏽‍♂️

Think that’s why he’s critical 

49 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

it feels more like the Liverpool season than the Forest one to me!   The Forest season & the 1 after are probably the seasons I watched most games & to be honest, at the time, the Forest season felt like the Liverpool season!

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

He wanted Frank Lampard to be manager for some strange reason 🤦🏽‍♂️

Think that’s why he’s critical 

We went over this at the time. 

It was based on foundation because I did my research on the available options.

I said Lampards style was more suited to the players we have than Manning is and would have been more of a continuation of how we had been playing both in style and motivation etc. 

It's now proven that the players we do have does not suit Manning just like I said at the time. 

I did never figure out why you had such a hatred for Lampard. You seem to disappear when asked a difficult question. 

I'm critical because regardless of the manager my pre season expections have not been met. It's quite simple really. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Facepalm 2

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I said Lampards style was more suited to the players we have than Manning is and would have been more of a continuation of how we had been playing both in style and motivation etc. 

It's now proven that the players we do have does not suit Manning just like I said at the time. 

I did never figure out why you had such a hatred for Lampard. You seem to disappear when asked a difficult question. 

I'm critical because regardless of the manager my pre season expections have not been met. It's quite simple really. 

If only we got off to a better start...

8 minutes ago, Super said:

If only we got off to a better start...

I'm not sure how you want to quantify as the start but I'll do it up to the 1st International break. 

No win

Win

No win

No win

Win

No win

Win

No win

No win

Win

No win

Was it good enough? No is the simple answer. However the long answer is we had a few injury problems. Conway got injured for example.

Looking back now, what's interesting is that the games we did win were all against teams that are now below us. Something we now struggle with. 

It's also worth noting that we put in really good performances away at Hull, Leeds and Leicester in that block of games. 

The Stoke game we should have won and I'm still scratching my head how we didn't having been 2 nil up. Should have got something from Birmingham game too. 

However here you are criticising our start when the first 9 games we had 3 wins from 9 and 12 points from 9.

Yet you've called our last 9 games under Manning "OK" despite it being 2 wins from 9 and 9 points from 9 with greater squad availability. 

You're so see through mate. Case closed. 

• Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm not sure how you want to quantify as the start but I'll do it up to the 1st International break. 

No win

Win

No win

No win

Win

No win

Win

No win

No win

Win

No win

Was it good enough? No is the simple answer. However the long answer is we had a few injury problems. Conway got injured for example.

Looking back now, what's interesting is that the games we did win were all against teams that are now below us. Something we now struggle with. 

It's also worth noting that we put in really good performances away at Hull, Leeds and Leicester in that block of games. 

The Stoke game we should have won and I'm still scratching my head how we didn't having been 2 nil up. Should have got something from Birmingham game too. 

However here you are criticising our start when the first 9 games we had 3 wins from 9 and 12 points from 9.

Yet you've called our last 9 games under Manning "OK" despite it being 2 wins from 9 and 9 points from 9 with greater squad availability. 

You're so see through mate. Case closed. 

So fairly similar records then. You're chatting bollox as per usual. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My god i didn't realise you wanted Lampard, everything's becoming clearer 🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Well the 1st 9 is better than the last 9. 

But despite that you have criticised our start but called the last 9 ok. 

It's not me chatting bollocks here mate. 

You are deluded. Just put me on ignore.

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, Super said:

You are deluded. Just put me on ignore.

Considering I've presented facts to you which you continue to deny I think the below describes your posts perfectly 

Dictionary

Word of the day

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

delusion
noun
  1. a false belief or judgment about external reality, held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary,
5 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

My god i didn't realise you wanted Lampard, everything's becoming clearer 🤣

I wanted a manager who suited the players we have. 

Out of the two Lampard was a better fit than Manning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Considering I've presented facts to you which you continue to deny I think the below describes your posts perfectly 

Dictionary

Word of the day

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

delusion

noun
  1. a false belief or judgment about external reality, held despite incontrovertible evidence to the contrary,

I wanted a manager who suited the players we have. 

Out of the two Lampard was a better fit than Manning. 

You're a joke.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don’t hate frank lampard. 
but as a manager. He has failed everywhere. He had a good start at Chelsea and that’s it.

Theres no substance to his managerial career.

A club like ours needs to avoid being starstruck and appoint a big name and nothing else.

We would have been like Birmingham. We made that exact mistake with Wayne Rooney 

Lampard is on his way down and i don’t want to be the club to find out how low is level is

Edited by Riaz

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Not only that; I’ve a feeling he still wants Lampard! 

To be fair, picking Lampard would have been insane - but that doesn’t mean picking Liam was sensible.

I think what we have to acknowledge that we didn’t get what was on the proverbial tin with Liam. He’s not a front foot attacking coach, he’s not a coach who historically has trusted youth. He is a very analytical coach who has big question marks and the appointment smacks of a lack of due diligence - mainly because they needed to get rid of Pearson at an opportune time.

Again, it’s Tinnions and Lansdowns mess. It would have been better to let Fleming take charge for a few weeks while they did a proper job in assessing who they needed which aligned with their statements. And Tbf there wasn’t an outstanding candidate out there - possibly Eustace pick of a bad bunch - but to appoint a coach who had a glaring weakness of inadaptability hiding in plain sight and was actually the opposite of a progressive head coach was madness. Hes great technically - but he’s not progressive and needs players to fit what he wants to do. And even that won’t cover his game management issue.

It might still work. But we are where we are because of how poor the management handled things.

Sorry, not aimed at you Dave, just not keen to go down to “at least he’s not Lampard” rabbit hole.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I don’t hate frank lampard. 
but as a manager. He has failed everywhere. He had a good start at Chelsea and that’s it.

Theres no substance to his managerial career.

A club like ours needs to avoid being starstruck and appoint a big name and nothing else.

We would have been like Birmingham. We made that exact mistake with Wayne Rooney 

Lampard is on his way down and i don’t want to be the club to find out how low is level is

I thought my posts made it clear thst it wasn't about the name but about the style. 

There was no substance to Mannings career but we still appointed him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Oh come on your embarrassing yourself now.

Insulting someone normally means you have lost the argument and have nothing intelligent to add. I thought you were better than that...

Apologies. I can handle a difference of opinion but he literally makes no sense as others are pointing out but you're right about the insults.

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 21:16, Davefevs said:

Was chatting to a poster at the weekend, my City “career” started with a 1-0 win over Liverpool, followed by a 5-0 win over Coventry.  Boy, they sucked me in good and proper!  Bastards! 🤣🤣🤣

That Coventry game was my first game.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Super said:

Apologies. I can handle a difference of opinion but he literally makes no sense as others are pointing out but you're right about the insults.

Oh and for clarity, I think a lot of what he says is true.

Oh, and the post you missed was about the 2 liars now running our club (still on going regarding the lad from Belgium). Also the amateurish way it's being run now they have got rid of all the people who knew what they were doing.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, Super said:

Nah Super. 

You constantly troll my posts and say I make no sense. Talk rubbish blah blah blah. 

The reason you do that is because you want to rubbish my posts because you don't like the truth being told. 

You never add anything constructive to debates, you never even debate. The majority of my posts are based on factual evidence and even with that you continue to try and rubbish them. 

• Haha 1