IGNORED

Bristol Live Article

1960maaan

All managers are judged on results. Playing style usually only comes into it when results aren't satisfactory.

I've pointed out before that supporters don't really care about the length or style of passes, just whether or not they hit a team mate and lead to a chance of a goal. If they're doing that then the team will do well and everyone's happy. If they're not doing that then the manager is accused of playing either hoofball or tippy-tappy stats-obsessed nonsense.

I don't imagine Liam Manning cares about supporters any more or less than Nigel Pearson or Lee Johnson or Tony Pulis. He is expected to win games and he's going about it in the way he thinks best, as they all did. All have produced some entertaining football (Pulis maybe didn't at City but he definitely did elsewhere) and all have produced some absolute dross.

• Like 3

On 22/02/2024 at 10:48, Nogbad the Bad said:

It's a very well written article but I'm afraid I don't share Dave's fascination with tactical aspects of the modern game. 

High block, transition, possession percentages, passes per sequence etc etc leave me cold. I just want to see City set out to play attacking football at AG with as much goalmouth action as possible. In other words to be entertained.

Modern coaches like LM should remember football is a spectator sport and if their cagey approach doesn't at least yield the 3 points - the one consolation for a dull match -  it can more often than not be a frustrating bore for the average fan who's gone down there to see some action, let off some steam, and be entertained.

I fully agree about what fans want but Dave does actually say that in the article. I think the point is though and why the article is important, is that LM does seem fascinated with the tactical aspects of the game. 
 So for those like myself who are not particularly gifted like Dave, it’s really helpful having a very considered and balanced article like this, that pulls things out and dissects them a bit more closely. 

On 21/02/2024 at 10:17, 1960maaan said:

Regular contributor @Davefevs has done a thing with Bristol Live. Interesting article and says a few ( one or two anyway ) things I've been saying for a while but with added insight and knowledge. 
Good read, enjoy.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-liam-manning-achilles-9112040?fbclid=IwAR1IZDxoDrny6bXvX0FwHRvyor2fZ6VIN2yC_Xrlm2dsyqkhCPvADPrKu_w

Sorry, can't be bothered to C&P the whole thing.

Excellent article, thanks Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1