IGNORED

Anyone fancy a trip to Kidderminster?

Silvio Dante

100% watching Jet play for city was fun…. Enjoyable!! Edge of the seat stuff. Bloody hell he was frustrating at times but I enjoyed going to the gate with players like him in the team. Especially compared to the absolute boredom of the last 3/4 years🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Super said:

I always got the impression he wasn't overly bothered. What happened to his Swazzy business he had?

I think there’s a huge difference between not loving the game and not having the level of commitment to put in the hours and the pain to become the best you possibly can at it.

He may not have been overly bothered with the pattern but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he doesn’t love the game and want to carry on playing it. 

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Spoons said:

100% watching Jet play for city was fun…. Enjoyable!! Edge of the seat stuff. Bloody hell he was frustrating at times but I enjoyed going to the gate with players like him in the team. Especially compared to the absolute boredom of the last 3/4 years🤦‍♂️

In flashes, yes. However, when he was on the pitch it was like playing with 10 men for 90% of the time. He was as much of the issue as he was the solution. We played much of our better football during the promotion season when Wilbs and Agard were on the pitch. He was a luxury to have waiting to come on.

Edited by formerly known as ivan
  • Hmmm 1

how a bloke of that size could dance through multiple players still baffles me, when he thought he could do something, he did,to great effect. saved his energy not chasing lost causes, anyone trying sneaky fouls to stop him usually came off second best. most talented player ive seen for years and so lucky to have been at the gas game. 

both he and joe bryan were my favourite players of that era for other reasons so that night was just magic

and he always looked like he was wearing a kiddies kit🤣

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 1

He has to be one of the most exciting players I have watched down there. From a selfish point of view, I was happy he didn’t fulfill his potential. Because he wouldn’t have been anywhere near Ashton Gate if he did!

What a player.

The thing with JET was that when he got the ball you genuinely didn`t have any idea what was going to happen next. He`d either lose it on the halfway line and the opposition would be in or he`d just waltz through four challenges and bang one in the top corner.

There`s a story from when we played Dagenham & Redbridge in the cup that we were two up towards the end of the game and JET was loitering on the touchline in front of the Williams. A fan allegedly shouted to him `Do me a favour mate, I`ve got money on 3-0` whereupon the big fella got the ball, cut inside and whacked one in. He then turned and gave the fan a thumbs up. I so hope that that is a true story!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

In flashes, yes. However, when he was on the pitch it was like playing with 10 men for 90% of the time. He was as much of the issue as he was the solution. We played much of our better football during the promotion season when Wilbs and Agard were on the pitch. He was a luxury to have waiting to come on.

Agree but players like Jet and Tomlin ( first spell on loan ) were fun and exciting to watch. 
It’s like a chore watching city currently. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

If I hear that Kidderminster have a penalty, I'll jump in the car. By the time I get to the ground JET will be about half way through his "run" up.

The first time he took one, up at Notts County, still ranks right up there in my most memorable moments watching City!

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think there’s a huge difference between not loving the game and not having the level of commitment to put in the hours and the pain to become the best you possibly can at it.

He may not have been overly bothered with the pattern but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he doesn’t love the game and want to carry on playing it. 

Yes, the ruthless discipline of diet and fitness as Ronaldo displays is not for everyone.

If you were good enough to play pro football at a decent level whilst dossing about all week and going to the pub several times a week then that would be a very enjoyable ride.

Whilst pro footballer is most people's dream job it is still a job. Few of us dedicate ourselves wholly to our careers.

My most memorable JET moment was when the ball came to him on the edge of a crowded penalty area and he appeared to slowly walk past two defenders before whacking the ball into the net.

I'm sure there was all manner of technically excellent close control going on to make it appear like that.

Similarly for Tomlin as mentioned above, whilst I didn't see this one live I remember his doing something to the ball as he was approaching goal, put backspin on it or something, so that it came up off the turf and sat up for him in a perfect position from which he scored, like someone had gently thrown it to him at knee height.

Edited by Eddie Hitler

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

But if it wasn’t in flashes he’d have been playing at Barcelona, not City.

I’d still rather have that 10% and enjoy the ride than 11 100% but boring and predictable players.

And it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference in terms of City actually achieving anything !!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes, the ruthless discipline of diet and fitness as Ronaldo displays is not for everyone.

If you were good enough to play pro football at a decent level whilst dossing about all week and going to the pub several times a week then that would be a very enjoyable ride.

Whilst pro footballer is most people's dream job it is still a job. Few of us dedicate ourselves wholly to our careers.

My most memorable JET moment was when the ball came to him on the edge of a crowded penalty area and he appeared to slowly walk past two defenders before whacking the ball into the net.

I'm sure there was all manner of technically excellent close control going on to make it appear like that.

I guess that’s the thing. If you’re as talented as he is then you can still get so far without putting in the effort and the discipline. And if he’s happy with that, which he seemed to be, then good luck to him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

The first time he took one, up at Notts County, still ranks right up there in my most memorable moments watching City!

I just wish he would relax more when taking one!

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Those slo-mo canters up to the ball are a nightmare for keepers. The vast majority commit themselves one way or another before the penalty taker has reached the ball. Surprised we don't see more of them. 

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Agree but players like Jet and Tomlin ( first spell on loan ) were fun and exciting to watch. 
It’s like a chore watching city currently. 

I always find these views of retrospection fascinating. With JET, we were in league one, hence why he looked so good. Tomlin, we were in a relegation scrap. 

We’re in a far far better position now, than when either of them were here. Although I absolutely can’t disagree on the chore part….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

One of my favourite city players - and he loved us too. Never a Cotts player though so you can see why he only got so far. I wonder why he never really pushed on, lack of application? Not interested? Other factors? 

For me, very simple…his physique.

A wonderful physique, but not one for top level football.

As a youngster it wasn’t an issue, but the demands of the pro game meant he needed muscle to carry around his big frame. And that was harder to maintain as he got older.

He couldn’t hare around the pitch, it would’ve been impossible for him to achieve those levels of fitness. So he made the best of what he had.

So I don’t see him as a waster. I see him as someone who made the best of an unfortunate physique and the realisation of that. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He couldn’t hare around the pitch, it would’ve been impossible for him to achieve those levels of fitness. So he made the best of what he had.

I love how he'd stop a ball dead - often resting his foot on it - then take a few seconds to decide what he was going to do, before effortlessly jinking past any oncoming defenders.

He had such an entertaining style. I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like him. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I love how he'd stop a ball dead - often resting his foot on it - then take a few seconds to decide what he was going to do, before effortlessly jinking past any oncoming defenders.

He had such an entertaining style. I don't think I've ever seen a player quite like him. 

Me too.

I also think “he was a passenger” stuff is horseshit, (maybe he’s thinking of Dziekanowski?).

JET scored 21 goals for us in 13/14, & who knows how many assists for Baldock. We would have been in League Two but for him.

In the following season his goals & assists to games ratio was also excellent.

Not bad for a “passenger”.

He was literally the only reason to watch us under O’Driscoll.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Panel beater one day, world beater the next to paraphrase Paul Jewell when he was at Ipswich!

We’d have been in serious trouble the season before our promotion without his goals, from memory.  Wonderful player to watch when on his game but equally frustrating when not. But those type of flair players are like that and you have to accept that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I always find these views of retrospection fascinating. With JET, we were in league one, hence why he looked so good. Tomlin, we were in a relegation scrap. 

We’re in a far far better position now, than when either of them were here. Although I absolutely can’t disagree on the chore part….

As supporters we can't do much about which division City are in.

What we remember are great games, outstanding goals, players who got us off our seats, and in that respect the division we're in is of secondary importance.

• Like 4