IGNORED

Anyone fancy a trip to Kidderminster?

Silvio Dante

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me, very simple…his physique.

A wonderful physique, but not one for top level football.

As a youngster it wasn’t an issue, but the demands of the pro game meant he needed muscle to carry around his big frame. And that was harder to maintain as he got older.

He couldn’t hare around the pitch, it would’ve been impossible for him to achieve those levels of fitness. So he made the best of what he had.

So I don’t see him as a waster. I see him as someone who made the best of an unfortunate physique and the realisation of that. 

Had the gait of Frank Bruno smuggling a large bratwurst. Exceptional touch, mind ...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

In flashes, yes. However, when he was on the pitch it was like playing with 10 men for 90% of the time. He was as much of the issue as he was the solution. We played much of our better football during the promotion season when Wilbs and Agard were on the pitch. He was a luxury to have waiting to come on.

As yes I remember at the time people saying we should drop him because we conceded so many goals, even after it was pointed out that he had either scored or assisted in something like 27 out the 29 goals we had scored during the same period. A season where every other bit of joy had been sucked out of the club and some people wanted to take the only bit that was left.

Every now and again I go on YouTube to watch the video of his accumulated goals for us, just for the sheer joy of it. Half the time it's not just the goal, it's the ease with which he plays. Like Alex Scott last season, you just have to watch and wonder how it's possible to be so much better than anyone else with what looks like minimum effort.

https://youtu.be/2JjL3zM9LLU?si=j-4TDa22ONetqwIU

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Jet was a proper maverick, outstanding on the ball, but bone idle without it. That said, he could always do something special, and made the games entertaining. Nobes and Trundle before him, Tomlin after him, we miss having that sort of player that can change a game with a flip of a coin. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Similarly for Tomlin as mentioned above, whilst I didn't see this one live I remember his doing something to the ball as he was approaching goal, put backspin on it or something, so that it came up off the turf and sat up for him in a perfect position from which he scored, like someone had gently thrown it to him at knee height.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/10264863/bristol-city-boss-lee-johnson-lauds-lee-tomlins-goal-in-win-over-huddersfield

The last goal in this game

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Jet was a proper maverick, outstanding on the ball, but bone idle without it. 

When City signed JET, my relatives in Ipswich said "Some days he's a match winner; other times he just does't want to know."

Kiddy are five points from safety, but do have one game in hand. They are that league's lowest scorers, so presumably JET is there to redress the balance.

maidenhead-united.png?1685223448 17 Maidenhead United 35 9 12 14 35 46 -11 39
southend-united.png?1550014399 18 Southend United (-10) 32 14 6 12 46 34 +12 38
wealdstone.png?1550014405 19 Wealdstone 30 10 8 12 42 45 -3 38
ebbsfleet-united.png?1550014378 20 Ebbsfleet United 35 10 8 17 44 58 -14 38
dorking-wanderers.png?1550014376 21 Dorking Wanderers 33 11 5 17 38 53 -15 38
woking.png?1692050760 22 Woking 34 9 7 18 33 43 -10 34
kidderminster-harriers.png?1550014386 23 Kidderminster Harriers 34 8 9 17 29 43 -14 33
oxford-city.png?1550014393 24 Oxford City 35 7 7 21 47 73 -26 28

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Those slo-mo canters up to the ball are a nightmare for keepers. The vast majority commit themselves one way or another before the penalty taker has reached the ball. Surprised we don't see more of them. 

Yep, 100%. I used to say that at the time…it was a genuinely good technique. It still needs the confidence though, and some speed of thought. And the ability to hit the ball exactly where you want to. But do all that and it’s pretty much nailed on to score. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Jet was a proper maverick, outstanding on the ball, but bone idle without it. That said, he could always do something special, and made the games entertaining. Nobes and Trundle before him, Tomlin after him, we miss having that sort of player that can change a game with a flip of a coin. 

No matter what sport fans love a maverick and JET was ours. Natural ability and got the fans out of their seats and he appreciated that. Always thought it was a shame that he kept us in when other players were injured but as soon as they were fit again he was unceremoniously dropped rather than them fight to regain their place.