IGNORED

Why hasn’t Manning been sacked?

Redland

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the main lesson we can learn this season - as several clubs have learned before - is that sacking the manager isn't the surefire way to improve results that we think it is. I'm therefore personally not jumping towards "Sack the manager" as the answer.

Whilst I didn't want Pearson to go, I don't actually think our points total would be all that different if he was still in post. We're mid-table because that's where our team is. We might win a couple and talk about promotion, then lose a couple and then talk about relegation and so on ad nauseam but mid-table is about right. And I'm no more about to accept losing two in a row as evidence that we're dramatically declining as I was prepared to accept winning two in a row before that as evidence we were hurtling towards promotion. 

For me the difference is, with Pearson we probably would’ve beaten QPR and Wednesday, but lost to Southampton and that would have been acceptable, knowing that with coaching and a few additions you’re heading in the right direction. Currently we may have pulled a rabbit out the hat against Southampton but gone backwards against the teams that have been struggling all season.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

There is a worrying trend developing against the bottom sides and Manning doesn't seem to have the coaching knowledge to overcome these teams, that's down to his lack of experience at this level. Some questionable selections today as well such as Sykes and especially Pring starting. I am sure that's done Roberts' confidence a world of good. Motivating your team against the bottom sides shouldn't be an issue, if you are a good coach. It feels like we're back to the LJ days of learning on the job. There is so much more to managing a club at Championship level than just being a coach. This team reflects the coach, which is weak and tepid.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hiring GJ, hiring NP?

Good is more than outweighed by the negatives football wise but two quite good calls.

GJ Ill give you. But equally we're talking about a decision almost twenty years, so not sure how relevant it is to now.

Nige is irrelevant as metric in that argument seeming as all the good work has been reverted due to a lack of trust in his own appointment.

• Like 2

We've put in some stinking performances during LM's short tenure. Aside from yesterday, I'm thinking of the likes of Preston and QPR away, for example. What's been fairly consistent however, is the dreary nature of the football.

The problem LM has is that he hasn't built up any credit and his interviews don't really lend to him being able to build much of a rapport with the fan base. This is likely to impact on patience from the stands.

I don't think we've got enough quality in the squad, particularly offensively. I'm clinging onto this as reason to give LM the benefit of the doubt for the moment. I'm hoping that some good additions in the summer will allow us to progress. If this doesn't happen, and we have a poor transfer window, I can't see anything but an ongoing struggle and more dire/boring performances!

Such a frustrating season!

Edited by ChubStixx

10 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Suggesting niges way of getting his point across could have been a little abrasive. I would imagine anyway.. Old school if you like 

The truth is the truth, and it needs to be said.

Regardless of how truth is delivered, it will always have the same impact.

People, such as Pearson, who are straight and honest and courageous enough to say what needs to be said, should be admired.

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

The hierarchy will back him to the hilt because sacking him now( which is what is needed) before any more damage is done such as being drawn into a lower end flirt with relegation or poor season ticket renewals, will just further underline what a poor and undercooked appointment this was from the start and just further demonstrates a total lack of football knowledge & ineptitude made by the people at the top. 

They seem to have this misguided view & want to think that we only want a coach to coach so that all control over transfers, finance and football related decisions are in their complete control. At lower league level you can probably get away with that. But NOT at this level and above.

This club's immediate future had a firm foundation with an experienced chief exec in RG or PA plus a highly experienced manager, coaching team and backroom staff. Now we have all of the ingredients of a league 1 set up in waiting in now being run by an inexperienced son in business and a failed ex manager along with a few of his ex player mates from the old league 1 days.

The writing is there on the wall when he says one thing about gradually introducing players back from injury and then starts two of them who clearly weren't fit, leaving other players on the side lines.

There is so much more about being a coach/manager at this level which he's now finding out to his cost.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

16 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We’ve been on worse form under Pearson, utterly ridiculous claim. This is Bristol City Football Club, not Nigel Pearson Football Club. The quicker people realise this, the sooner we can move on

It’s not a question of having a worse run of results than under NP. Manning‘s appointment was publicly justified on the grounds that Pearson was underachieving and that we should be in the play-off places. Manning has had plenty of time to get his feet under the table and yet now we are just nine points above the relegation zone. By the board’s own publicly announced criteria Manning is failing yet unlike his predecessor he is being given a free pass.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

People, such as Pearson, who are straight and honest and courageous enough to say what needs to be said, should be admired.

Courageous, give me a break. the love in is embarrassing, especially without any knowledge truly of what happened or what “truths” nige was spitting. Nigel Pearson did nothing to unite or galvanise city while he was here. Steady manager producing steady results - we were not going anywhere further so you have to roll the dice and sorry to break this to anyone but football has no certainty.
There was no excitement in the stands, no chorus’ of Nigel’s name game after game. Revisionary bullshit history to say he’s a some messiah. For 12 months we couldn’t score goals without forceps and our home form was diabolical.

the big talk from management during the change is of course the problem because the majority of people on here are petulant and pedantic and desperate to sell us into the unknown for a shot at god knows what? W*nking themselves off when MOTD is on because Danny Murphy said something nice about us? what did you expect them to say? “We’ve got an average squad with nothing going for it etc etc” not going to happen, you make a change you big it up and believe it might work. It might still work. Nigel might have got us doing more - I don’t know but he had enough time to prove it if he could. 

“Say it as they see it” types is boomer Facebook rhetoric for someone who likely won’t listen to anyone else and mistakes their personal “honesty” for the unequivocal truth and believes people should be grateful for it

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

22 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

Courageous, give me a break. the love in is embarrassing, especially without any knowledge truly of what happened or what “truths” nige was spitting. Nigel Pearson did nothing to unite or galvanise city while he was here. Steady manager producing steady results - we were not going anywhere further so you have to roll the dice and sorry to break this to anyone but football has no certainty.
There was no excitement in the stands, no chorus’ of Nigel’s name game after game. Revisionary bullshit history to say he’s a some messiah. For 12 months we couldn’t score goals without forceps and our home form was diabolical.

the big talk from management during the change is of course the problem because the majority of people on here are petulant and pedantic and desperate to sell us into the unknown for a shot at god knows what? W*nking themselves off when MOTD is on because Danny Murphy said something nice about us? what did you expect them to say? “We’ve got an average squad with nothing going for it etc etc” not going to happen, you make a change you big it up and believe it might work. It might still work. Nigel might have got us doing more - I don’t know but he had enough time to prove it if he could. 

“Say it as they see it” types is boomer Facebook rhetoric for someone who likely won’t listen to anyone else and mistakes their personal “honesty” for the unequivocal truth and believes people should be grateful for it

🤣🤣🤣

So in summary

You prefer bulls***s , than those who are straight

Not a great shock

As for ‘Nigel Pearson did nothing to unite or galvanise city while he was here’ 

Ive posted about the blind who didn’t look , didn’t watch , ungrateful , and had no concept of what was actually going on , and actually deserve L1 — Congratulations on your Membership

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

🤣🤣🤣

So in summary

You prefer bulls***s , than those who are straight

Not a great shock

As for ‘Nigel Pearson did nothing to unite or galvanise city while he was here’ 

Ive posted about the blind who didn’t look , didn’t watch , ungrateful , and had no concept of what was actually going on , and actually deserve L1 — Congratulations on your Membership

That last part reads like we are talking of war or famine. Oh wait no it’s just football. Chill, it will be alright in the end mate. Maybe we will get promoted, maybe we won’t. Maybe a hedge fund will buy us maybe they won’t. maybe nige will rise on a Monday, roll across his stone and come to save us.. Truly we are all just shopping bags in the breeze

Edited by Fjmcity
  • Facepalm 1

I just can’t be arsed with any of this any more. 8 days ago we were talking about a possible play off push, now we’re calling for the manager’s head.

We win a few, we lose a few, we draw a few. Sometimes we manage to win a couple in a row, and we’re all talking us up. Then we lose a couple in a row and it’s all doom and gloom. Right now we are 12th in the table; the very definition of mid-table.

People pick a run of games to support their argument; currently it’s fashionable to pick the last 10 games, because it’s poor and supports the idea that the manager is failing. If you pick the last four, we’ve won two and lost two. Average. If you look over 34 games - the entire season - there are 12 clubs doing worse than us, and 11 doing better. Probably about par for the squad.

It all amounts to quibbling over the details, while the reality is: we are a mid table club, with a mid table squad, getting mid table results.

None of this is a defence of Manning, nor is it an attempt to justify the clearly-unjustified sacking of Pearson. Tinnion and Jon Lansdown clearly don’t have any leadership skills or any natural air of authority to inspire confidence. The “top six” claim is a noose around their necks.

I don’t really know where I’m going with this. But I’m just tired of the constant cycle of vague optimism, then inevitable disappointment and the equally inevitable calls for the manager’s head. Somehow we need to break out of this cycle because it’s so tedious and it’s been the same for years. Pretty much my entire 40 years on earth, in fact.

I don’t really have a point here! I’m just a bit fed up. But I’m really not convinced that yet again blaming the manager is the answer for a club that’s been serving up generous lashings of bang-averageness for decades now.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

No more reactions, but this is much what I’ve said. People are afraid of straight talkers these days. I’d much rather have someone who delivered the truth straight, rather than go all round the houses with cotton wool comments. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I just can’t be arsed with any of this any more. 8 days ago we were talking about a possible play off push, now we’re calling for the manager’s head.

We win a few, we lose a few, we draw a few. Sometimes we manage to win a couple in a row, and we’re all talking us up. Then we lose a couple in a row and it’s all doom and gloom. Right now we are 12th in the table; the very definition of mid-table.

People pick a run of games to support their argument; currently it’s fashionable to pick the last 10 games, because it’s poor and supports the idea that the manager is failing. If you pick the last four, we’ve won two and lost two. Average. If you look over 34 games - the entire season - there are 12 clubs doing worse than us, and 11 doing better. Probably about par for the squad.

It all amounts to quibbling over the details, while the reality is: we are a mid table club, with a mid table squad, getting mid table results.

None of this is a defence of Manning, nor is it an attempt to justify the clearly-unjustified sacking of Pearson. Tinnion and Jon Lansdown clearly don’t have any leadership skills or any natural air of authority to inspire confidence. The “top six” claim is a noose around their necks.

I don’t really know where I’m going with this. But I’m just tired of the constant cycle of vague optimism, then inevitable disappointment and the equally inevitable calls for the manager’s head. Somehow we need to break out of this cycle because it’s so tedious and it’s been the same for years. Pretty much my entire 40 years on earth, in fact.

I don’t really have a point here! I’m just a bit fed up. But I’m really not convinced that yet again blaming the manager is the answer for a club that’s been serving up generous lashings of bang-averageness for decades now.

I feel much the same, can barely be bothered to contribute any more. Unless fundamental change happens at the club (cosy amateurs moved out and professionals moved in) all this talk seems a bit like re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

Just now, Kingswood Robin said:

I feel much the same, can barely be bothered to contribute any more. Unless fundamental change happens at the club (cosy amateurs moved out and professionals moved in) all this talk seems a bit like re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. 

Exactly that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

The obvious answer is to bring back Benny. Just the chap to help a young manager who appears to be out of his depth.

I was saying that for years - Benny as DoF.

However as he is now aged 81 and has been out of the game for fourteen years I would say that the window has closed.

Neil Warnock as DoF on the other hand would be great, he may be 75 but he is still an active manager.

On a related point to this thread QPR had Les Ferdinand as DoF for years before he was given the push about six months ago, his recruitment was poor and his contribution to team tactics hard to discern.  But he was "Sir Les" so gained and kept the job when anyone who hadn't been a star player for QPR would never have been given it in the first place and would have been sacked after a couple of years.

• Hmmm 1

23 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

However as he is now aged 81 and has been out of the game for fourteen years I would say that the window has closed.

Neil Warnock as DoF on the other hand would be great, he may be 75 but he is still an active manager.

On a related point to this thread QPR had Les Ferdinand as DoF for years before he was given the push about six months ago, his recruitment was poor and his contribution to team tactics hard to discern.  But he was "Sir Les" so gained and kept the job when anyone who hadn't been a star player for QPR would never have been given it in the first place and would have been sacked after a couple of years.

Sir Brian ! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Have you ever rated a manager who maybe didn’t have a great string of results? If someone said you were part of a cult or a “love in” how would you react?

Those sorts of phrases are used to stop people saying anything positive. That it makes people/fans somewhat pathetic in their appreciation. 

Second bit in bold. If that was true you wouldn’t have posted and I wouldn’t be responding. It’s certainly a lot of people’s perception of Nigel’s bringing the club together and why he’s held in great esteem. Are you somehow denying that the team went from clueless, to at least being United, having superb fitness levels, working hard, albeit not always successful, but in the main and certainly towards the end of his tenure, putting in decent hardworking performances.  Are you denying that he massively sorted the financial situation, trimmed staff and saved the club money and in Lansdown’s own words, did great things for the club?

If you can’t acknowledge any of the good he did, then well, you just don’t get it. The reason people liked NP was because despite results, they could see that he had the club’s best interest at heart. He was guiding very young and more experienced players through some very turbulent times. 
 The only people I’ve heard call him the messiah are those like you who once again, berate those who have anything good to say about him. You don’t need to be a Messiah to have an impact. 

The big talk from management comment is really confusing. No one bought into that. No one!

And lastly. Yes NP might have got us doing more. I won’t go into the whole context around his time and the very real hurdles and lack of money. We won’t ever know, but being a Football Manager is about so much more than getting results, it’s about leading from the front and galvanising a group of players and in NPs case, back room staff, to want to get those results. Of course he wasn’t perfect. Not everyone will appreciate his at times abrasive tone, but I think the comments of those he left behind, say more than we can ever know. 

Edited by JP Hampton
  • Like 13
  • Flames 6

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Exactly that.

I wouldn't say exactly I would say "a bit like" in that, whilst the "deckchairs" are forever being re-arranged, we're not as things stand about to plummet into the icy depths of L1 albeit neither are we going to make it to New York any time. Instead, whilst the deckchairs are moved hither and tither, we have dropped anchor and are going nowhere, and soon will watch as the "Good Ship" Wrexham and "HMS" Portsmouth - currently not in sight to the rear (although, what's that: is it HMS Pompey? It could well be) - both sail past us - anchored; marooned - and get to New York.

I suppose we should be grateful - it’s a lovely, revamped "ship" - and forever careful what we wish for - we could, like, go too fast and hit the "iceberg" of a ffp points reduction or a dodgy foreign owner - but it gets a bit dull just .... stuck here, in the middle of the ocean .... when we could be in New York where the streets are paved with parachute payments ....

Etc, etc, and so on ....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Sir Alan Dicks?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Not that it makes it any better for you I’m sure, but without specific names, you could be writing on any football forum across the uk and beyond. 

It’s pretty normal for people to want to be hopeful. We all get it at the start of a match and you think this will be the one and you get behind your team then… it isn’t, and you have further to fall, losing isn’t what it’s all about either, necessarily, performance for me if so important. 

In the great scheme of things it doesn’t really matter, but for some people it does and consequently get wafted along with the ups and downs. That’s why it’s essential for the board (who are hugely accountable for all that being said on the forum, after yesterday), to be honest with their fans.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I wouldn't say exactly I would say "a bit like" in that, whilst the "deckchairs" are forever being re-arranged, we're not as things stand about to plummet into the icy depths of L1 albeit neither are we going to make it to New York any time. Instead, whilst the deckchairs are moved hither and tither, we have dropped anchor and are going nowhere, and soon will watch as the "Good Ship" Wrexham and "HMS" Portsmouth - currently not in sight to the rear (although, what's that: is it HMS Pompey? It could well be) - both sail past us - anchored; marooned - and get to New York.

I suppose we should be grateful - it’s a lovely, revamped "ship" - and forever careful what we wish for - we could, like, go too fast and hit the "iceberg" of a ffp points reduction or a dodgy foreign owner - but it gets a bit dull just .... stuck here, in the middle of the ocean .... when we could be in New York where the streets are paved with parachute payments ....

Etc, etc, and so on ....

At least with all those empty seats in the South Stand, there should be enough room in the lifeboats 🙂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

With lashings of bang average managers