IGNORED

Why hasn’t Manning been sacked?

Redland

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Is it?

When Pearson went, we had 18 points from 14 (which I make around 1.28 per game)

We now have 44 from 34 (which I make around 1.29 per game)

Three of those points came under Fleming but let’s ignore that and point out that in the latest ten game block we are less than a point a game. That is crap when you consider a transfer window and increased squad availability. Manning is meandering aimlessly at present. He won’t get sacked but he needs to pull his finger out of his arse and start producing the improvement that the hierarchy deemed was required. You don’t sack a manager to achieve worse results.

• Like 4

I am ‘Manning in’ for clarity. The mess is above him. We can’t be paying off 3 more years of Manning’s contract just for them to make another appointment that they’ll either hate (Nige) or who won’t be up to it (Holden, Manning?).

• Like 4

As Lizz Truss said after becoming Prime Minister...you can be sacked as Prime Minister, but not if you are head honcho at the Bank of England.

It applies with us...regardless of who's running the ship, its those who are unaccountable and make the decisions that can't be sacked. 

Manning is way out of his depth imo, and by the week comes across more and more like LJ in his decision making. 

Many will be thinking the same but will sit on the fence so as not to be wrong. 

• Like 5

Is it too early to have a stick or twist poll for Manning yet ? He finally gets his wish to have more time training on the grass and if today is the result then it does not bode well. Personally this is the earliest I have ever wanted a manager gone. He just seems out of his depth and has for most of the time since he has been here. Lose to Cardiff and it may get quite toxic next week.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Is it?

When Pearson went, we had 18 points from 14 (which I make around 1.28 per game)

We now have 44 from 34 (which I make around 1.29 per game)

Depends what point you’re trying to make or trying to play down the anger?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

As Lizz Truss said after becoming Prime Minister...you can be sacked as Prime Minister, but not if you are head honcho at the Bank of England.

It applies with us...regardless of who's running the ship, its those who are unaccountable and make the decisions that can't be sacked. 

Manning is way out of his depth imo, and by the week comes across more and more like LJ in his decision making. 

Many will be thinking the same but will sit on the fence so as not to be wrong. 

I was just about to say that it's Junior Johnson all over again. Young manager who does ok at a lower league team but completely out of his depth. Pearson was the best thing to happen at this club since Cotts. Both been there and done it and both strong men. The Lansdowns can't cope with real men 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

Manning’s post match interview was that of a beaten man (and I don’t mean just defeat today),

Blaming the players is a poor managerial position to take,  Accepting no blame himself.  His hangdog expression and lacklustre words give me zero optimism.  If he is here next August I fear the worst.  Yet on last 180 minutes he may well not survive to next year.

Question for the incompetent three - Do you honestly believe this man can take us to the top division ?  because I can’t see in his record, with us and before, any grounds for such beliefs.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

43 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think where I'm at with this is that we're in danger of the good culture that was in place of eroding. Signs of that already. Players have lost confidence. We know those two things are really difficult to change.

I personally think that continuing to back a horse with 3 legs is quite ridiculous. 

Rather than having some blind faith that it might work out we should probably look to take the bull by the horns and be pro active. 

IF a change was made now it would give a new man time to evaluate the squad etc. 

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Manning deciding the futures of players like James etc.

Worrying thing is whod want to come here with tinnion calling the shots and a pound shop budget .

Edited by Cityboy1954
  • Flames 1

Pearson has gone. Manning is Manning and we have to judge him on his performance in the context of his tenure and circumstances. So far he looks miles out of his depth, but has the opportunity over 12 games to learn and evolve and deliver. But so far, if nothing changes, we need to cut our losses in the summer. He is certainly not what we had hoped for. What we have to avoid is an expensive and time wasting period where the owners try to justify a bad decision by hanging on, only to arrive at the inevitable conclusion. He has plenty of games to show what he can do, and does not mean winning 7 games for example, but giving some indication that he knows what he is doing when the situation os complex and demanding.

Thankfully we did not bring him in to avoid a relegation. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Should be. He is not the right fit for us. He is not the right guy to take us forward. 

You are not the right fit to be a supporter of Bristol City in my opinion and should watch another Bristol based football team. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Depends what point you’re trying to make or trying to play down the anger?

I’m not really trying to make any point beyond that I don’t honestly believe we would be significantly higher than 12th with our current squad regardless of who was managing us.

I am far from convinced on Manning but I don’t buy into the idea the change in management - whilst unnecessary - has significantly impacted on our fortunes either way.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

Because he wasn’t going to get a new deal and started kicking off.

No, he wasn’t playing ball, called them out for some of their faults at running the club and was a definite alpha male, a strong personality. 
 They didn’t communicate with him, that’s why he was “kicking off “!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Issue is would we trust the board to make a good appointment? 

They've made 14 appointments in the last 25 years, how many of those have seen us finish in the top half of the championship? 2?

Ultimately if Manning gets sacked will anyone better come in? I heavily doubt it

would'nt be hard to get someone better would it

I blame the board they’ve done LM a huge disservice by “bigging up” his potential and his being just what we needed. If LM stayed put he would possibly have evolved into a good manager once he’d gained some real experience. 

Edited by JP Hampton

No point in getting rid of Manning now but we should start looking for a replacement to come in May/June. Big problem is Board not Manager  No confidence they will make a good appointment. It’s a frustrating horrible cycle.