IGNORED

The soft BC are back, after all Nigel’s hard work

Shauntaylor85

As ever when we lose a game badly, this forum is a pretty depressing read. People with agendas spouting nonsense, largely on the ‘pro-Manning’ side if I may say. He was brought in to work with what we have and he was brought in to improve this current squad and, a couple of excellent performances aside, he really hasn’t done that in my opinion. The inconsistency gap between our good performances and our poor ones is way more pronounced now than it ever was in the latter days of Nige’s reign. Also, after all his bleating about the program and lack of time ‘on the grass’ for us to turn in a performance like that yesterday is a real worry. 

The way people revise history and don’t acknowledge the situation Pearson took over when comparing the two really does blow my mind as well. Manning came in to a club with some decent players, crucially who were returning from injury at the time…. There’s no excuse for the ups and downs we’re currently seeing imo and overall I’ve found Manning really underwhelming. 

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again here. Everything about this club is mid table at the moment, but the lack of nous and proven experience at the top end of the club really worries me and we could so easily end up being in trouble next season or the one after if this stays the same. The most likely way we get out this division will be to get relegated when this happens, not with the promotion that our ‘board’ like to keep talking about when season tickets are up for renewal. It’s so boring to be going through this whole doom cycle again.  

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

4 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Just be a grown up and admit you were wrong, a typo here and there when typing out PPG/league position is easily done.

Pearson 1.29ppg this season

Manning 1.21ppg this season. 

When NP left the club we were in 15th position.

Not sure which part of anything I have said is incorrect. But again thanks for your input. 

9 hours ago, petehinton said:

Hadn’t won 3 games in a row for 3 years gotta be one of the best stick to beat with metrics I’ve seen on here tbf. 

Neither him or Manning have ever won a league game throughout the whole month of July either. Useless. 

Wasn’t beating him with any stick, but making a point around people thinking we were in with a chance of play offs under either of these two it is a fair metric. 

To reach play offs we would have at some point had to win 3 games in a row. 

So on the balance of probability we wouldn’t have and wouldn’t reach the play offs. 

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Wasn’t beating him with any stick, but making a point around people thinking we were in with a chance of play offs under either of these two it is a fair metric. 

So on the balance of probability we wouldn’t have and wouldn’t reach the play offs. 

Bs mate. You're saying this after the event to play down the fact that our season has come to a very premature end under Manning. 

Putting Pearson aside, there would have been a manager out there that would have done a better job than Manning has. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Bs mate. You're saying this after the event to play down the fact that our season has come to a very premature end under Manning. 

Putting Pearson aside, there would have been a manager out there that would have done a better job than Manning has. 

It’s a fact though mate isn’t it. We haven’t been able to reel off 3 wins or go on a ‘run’ since the LJ years. 

Being 4 points off play offs when he left effectively is 2 games behind. So you’d have to win 3 in a run to catch up. 

I am disappointed as I like LM and you can’t hide the fact it’s not gone as planned. But I don’t believe we’d have seen much difference with anyone in charge. 

We are so inconsistent, what makes me laugh is had we lost to Boro and Saints but beat QPR and Sheffield W, the meltdown wouldn’t be so bad. 

1 minute ago, Bs4Red said:

It’s a fact though mate isn’t it. We haven’t been able to reel off 3 wins or go on a ‘run’ since the LJ years. 

Being 4 points off play offs when he left effectively is 2 games behind. So you’d have to win 3 in a run to catch up. 

I am disappointed as I like LM and you can’t hide the fact it’s not gone as planned. But I don’t believe we’d have seen much difference with anyone in charge. 

We are so inconsistent, what makes me laugh is had we lost to Boro and Saints but beat QPR and Sheffield W, the meltdown wouldn’t be so bad. 

You're not considering the context tho mate. People like you often don't. 

LJ left us with a poor mentally weak squad. Holden then came in who contributed to that and then gave the players the worst pre season a club has ever had in terms of fitness. 

It's taken years to sort all that shit out. 

We had finally got to a point this season where that shit had been sorted out. 

You're constantly relying upon this 4 points from play offs when he was sacked to progress your arguement but the context is we went 4 points off having lost to Cardiff with us barely having 11 fit players. Before that we were 2 points off. 

Get rid of Pearson, fine. But the replacement was completely wrong. 

Manning has done worse than Pearson with more squad availability. That's a fact. We are not doing the best that we can with this squad. Not saying we're a top 6 team but we are under performing but quite some way and that's on Manning. As I said another manager would have got much more out of this squad of that I am sure. 

The fact we've lost to two of the worst teams in the league is the issue here mate. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

21 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

You've latched onto this weird 3 wins in a row thing not because it's any kind of important metric, but simply because Pearson didn't do it.

Who bloody cares if we get 3 wins in a row if the majority of the rest is absolute crap and has us near the bottom of the form table? It's such an irrelevant thing to bring up.

Holden won 3 in a row... In fact wasn't it 4 at the start of his season. He was gone about 6 months later!

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Pearson 1.29ppg this season

Manning 1.21ppg this season. 

When NP left the club we were in 15th position.

Not sure which part of anything I have said is incorrect. But again thanks for your input. 

See you in the Prem!

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Jacki said:

As ever when we lose a game badly, this forum is a pretty depressing read. People with agendas spouting nonsense, largely on the ‘pro-Manning’ side if I may say. He was brought in to work with what we have and he was brought in to improve this current squad and, a couple of excellent performances aside, he really hasn’t done that in my opinion. The inconsistency gap between our good performances and our poor ones is way more pronounced now than it ever was in the latter days of Nige’s reign. Also, after all his bleating about the program and lack of time ‘on the grass’ for us to turn in a performance like that yesterday is a real worry. 

The way people revise history and don’t acknowledge the situation Pearson took over when comparing the two really does blow my mind as well. Manning came in to a club with some decent players, crucially who were returning from injury at the time…. There’s no excuse for the ups and downs we’re currently seeing imo and overall I’ve found Manning really underwhelming. 

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again here. Everything about this club is mid table at the moment, but the lack of nous and proven experience at the top end of the club really worries me and we could so easily end up being in trouble next season or the one after if this stays the same. The most likely way we get out this division will be to get relegated when this happens, not with the promotion that our ‘board’ like to keep talking about when season tickets are up for renewal. It’s so boring to be going through this whole doom cycle again.  

when nige came in, he was given a rusty chassis,a pile of parts,some rotten tyres and an engine that didnt run. took him 2 years to rebuild it using second hand parts and some new wheels. all it needed was the shiny paint job to finish it. he managed to get it primed so it didnt rust again but couldnt afford the top coat.

unfortunately,he couldnt drive it for a little while so city got a new driver who had just passed his test, knows his highway code but no experience in judging the length and width of it so slowly it is getting knocked and bumped,the trackings out and no real mechanic on board should it break down,

only a matter of time before it gets consigned to the scrap heap again.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're not considering the context tho mate. People like you often don't. 

LJ left us with a poor mentally weak squad. Holden then came in who contributed to that and then gave the players the worst pre season a club has ever had in terms of fitness. 

It's taken years to sort all that shit out. 

We had finally got to a point this season where that shit had been sorted out. 

You're constantly relying upon this 4 points from play offs when he was sacked to progress your arguement but the context is we went 4 points off having lost to Cardiff with us barely having 11 fit players. Before that we were 2 points off. 

Get rid of Pearson, fine. But the replacement was completely wrong. 

Manning has done worse than Pearson with more squad availability. That's a fact. We are not doing the best that we can with this squad. Not saying we're a top 6 team but we are under performing but quite some way and that's on Manning. As I said another manager would have got much more out of this squad of that I am sure. 

The fact we've lost to two of the worst teams in the league is the issue here mate. 

I totally understand the context mate and as I’ve said always, massively appreciate everything NP had done at the club, albeit that was clearly his remit when he arrived. 

In fairness, I’m not using 4 points off play offs as a reason he was sacked, I’m more trying to make the point we would never have made play offs under NP because we couldn’t win 3 games in a row. 

FWIW I thought NP should have been sacked after 3-0 defeat to Birmingham. 
Doesn’t mean I hated him or wanted him to fail. Personally I felt overall he’d done a decent job. 

What I find frustrating is that he is seen as some sort of messiah and we were still extremely average. 

Has manning worked so far? In spells but overall probably a bit disappointing. 
Will it get better? Depends on your outlook, loads on here are desperate for LM to fail to  prove them right about NP. I think it’s clear there is massive potential LM could become a great manager here. 
Alongside that, it’s also very clear he could be sacked in October. 
He’s not really being given much of a chance though, that’s on the board absolutely.

I still think it comes good under LM, mind you I have become increasingly more sceptical over the last few games.

2 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

You've latched onto this weird 3 wins in a row thing not because it's any kind of important metric, but simply because Pearson didn't do it.

Who bloody cares if we get 3 wins in a row if the majority of the rest is absolute crap and has us near the bottom of the form table? It's such an irrelevant thing to bring up.

Holden won 3 in a row... In fact wasn't it 4 at the start of his season. He was gone about 6 months later!

Obviously you haven’t read the point I’m making and that’s ok. 
Im not slating NP for not doing, I’m making the point that whether under NP or LM. We needed to go on a run to chase down the play offs. 

It’s really not that difficult to understand mate 

The impression I got from both Pearson and Tinnion was that we were building from the academy up so that should we change the manager then we wouldn’t need a complete rebuild. So talk of giving the summer to bring his own players in seems odd. Give him a preseason yes but a complete overhaul no.  We have capable players and a couple of additions but it’s not ability that is holding us back it’s application. Players need to put effort in every week. It’s as simple as that. 

2 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I totally understand the context mate and as I’ve said always, massively appreciate everything NP had done at the club, albeit that was clearly his remit when he arrived. 

In fairness, I’m not using 4 points off play offs as a reason he was sacked, I’m more trying to make the point we would never have made play offs under NP because we couldn’t win 3 games in a row. 

FWIW I thought NP should have been sacked after 3-0 defeat to Birmingham. 
Doesn’t mean I hated him or wanted him to fail. Personally I felt overall he’d done a decent job. 

What I find frustrating is that he is seen as some sort of messiah and we were still extremely average. 

Has manning worked so far? In spells but overall probably a bit disappointing. 
Will it get better? Depends on your outlook, loads on here are desperate for LM to fail to  prove them right about NP. I think it’s clear there is massive potential LM could become a great manager here. 
Alongside that, it’s also very clear he could be sacked in October. 
He’s not really being given much of a chance though, that’s on the board absolutely.

I still think it comes good under LM, mind you I have become increasingly more sceptical over the last few games.

Sorry mate but I do not think for a single second that any Bristol City fans are desperate for LM to fail, because that means us failing. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

It's not just the results though is it ?

Our performances have been dismal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Sorry mate but I do not think for a single second that any Bristol City fans are desperate for LM to fail, because that means us failing. 

That’s fair enough mate but reading this forum at times it’s really hard to tell unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bs4Red said:

That’s fair enough mate but reading this forum at times it’s really hard to tell unfortunately. 

Ultimately we all want the best for Bristol City. 

We all have different views on what is best for us. But that's OK. It's healthy to have these different views. 

10 hours ago, petehinton said:

Yes you’re absolutely right mate, spot on

It’s hard to disagree with those two though?

At this moment, Cornick and Mehmeti have been poor signings. But that’s only two signings. I think it looks worse as they both came in together at the same time.

10 hours ago, Gaseater said:

We had no money and we brought Mehmeti and Cornick.

And bought in James, Atkinson, Dickie, Knight, Tanner, Sykes, TGH and Naismith (been good just injury prone). Not exactly a bad record really.

Also sold Semenyo and Scott for a combined 30 million..

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Obviously you haven’t read the point I’m making and that’s ok. 
Im not slating NP for not doing, I’m making the point that whether under NP or LM. We needed to go on a run to chase down the play offs. 

It’s really not that difficult to understand mate 

No, I understand your point. "You need to get points to get into the playoffs" isn't perhaps the incredible insight you think it is.

I'm saying three wins in a row is just a laughably arbitrary measurement of whether it'd happen or not.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

No, I understand your point. "You need to get points to get into the playoffs" isn't perhaps the incredible insight you think it is.

I'm saying three wins in a row is just a laughably arbitrary measurement of whether it'd happen or not.

3 wins in a row was the minimum because we were 2 games behind already. 
So to have caught the teams in front we would have had to do this. It’s not that difficult to understand mate, you’ve turned it into some sort of barometer. 

It’s okay if you don’t understand it or don’t want to acknowledge the point. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

3 wins in a row was the minimum because we were 2 games behind already. 
So to have caught the teams in front we would have had to do this. It’s not that difficult to understand mate, you’ve turned it into some sort of barometer. 

It’s okay if you don’t understand it or don’t want to acknowledge the point. 

Sorry, just to be clear you think if a team is say 7 points ahead of you 1/3 of the way into the season the only way you can catch them is by winning three in a row?

So, hypothetically, going WWDWWDWWD all season wouldn't be enough? I see.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, IAmNick said:

Sorry, just to be clear you think if a team is say 7 points ahead of you 1/3 of the way into the season the only way you can catch them is by winning three in a row?

So, hypothetically, going WWDWWDWWD all season wouldn't be enough? I see.

No mate that’s obviously not the point I’m making. But it’s quite obvious that at some point you’d have to win a few in a row or go on a bit of a run to catch them. 
Don’t think it’s rocket science to understand. 

5 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

No mate that’s obviously not the point I’m making. But it’s quite obvious that at some point you’d have to win a few in a row or go on a bit of a run to catch them. 
Don’t think it’s rocket science to understand. 

Ok, so we agree 3 wins in a row is irrelevant and we were definitely going up under Nige, nice!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

You’ve literally lied to make a point 😂😂😂

My sincere apologies. However it doesn't change the fact that we were indeed 8th literally 8 days before the Cardiff game. A game we deserved a point from, after an all hands to the pump battling display.

Plus 2 winnable games ahead of us (one of which was won by CF) Had Nige still been in charge then I believe our ppg would have been 1.4.

Please don't call me a liar.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Edit text