IGNORED

So, Where are we with Liam

Silvio Dante

Where Do You Stand With Liam?  

381 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tonight there seems to have been a bit of a sea change. If you look on the first page, there is a lot of negativity around Manning - and a lot of it justified. The hottest thread is “Why hasn’t Manning been sacked”.

And we’ve been dancing around this conversation for a while.

To be clear, where I am is that I don’t think Liam should be sacked right now - and I don’t think this is a Nige vs Liam debate. This is solely on Liams own merits -  but we are in a place where a lot of the forum are questioning if he is the right man. And it’s therefore appropriate to have this debate, at this stage - hopefully in an adult way.

(I voted give him season and see where we are but if no improvement, should go. I don’t think he’s the right man now but don’t think giving 12 more games does any harm)

• Like 3

Not overly surprising but I’ve seen enough and would get shot (won’t happen)

The football is abysmal bar the rare exceptions where we revert to the counter attacking high press, and it is a massive character flaw not to adapt his approach to the players he has available, saying that based on what he wants to apparently do slow dull passing between defenders then I am not sure I would want to pay to watch the finished article either….

• Like 2

On todays form we could easily get 3 points from the next 5 games , maybe even less if today is our new standard.
We have a buffer of 9 points and 9 teams between us and the relegation spots, hopefully that's enough, but those 9 points aren't going to there for long if we don't start picking up points. 

Very difficult situation we find ourselves in. Which once again is completely of the lansdowns own making. 

Sacking him now could destabilise us even further and make poor performances poorer. But those current performances can’t continue especially with the squad at his disposal. 

Long term right man for the job? He’s had some very good games which indicate yes and some equally awful ones that indicate **** no. 

Commiting major funds in the summer? He’s demonstrated he can win games against a variety of opponents and at times change things tactically in a positive way. But it happens too scarcely and surrounded by poor performances. Giving him funds could alienate part of the fan base that felt that his predecessor should have been given that luxury even further. Might be able to get in the right players and push us forward, could equally get in expensive players and this form continues into next season, leaving us in a mess again. 

Keep in place but don’t give funds? Can almost ask what’s the point, we aren’t close to playoff contention so why restrict funds and potentially waste another season? Also have the majority of our experienced player ooc, not replacing them could be extremely costly for us. But Manning hasn’t proved he deserves serious backing yet either. 

A lot of clashing points that make this a very difficult one to answer, we won’t know till it’s too late anyway, whether for better or worse. But perhaps with my impatience talking I’d give him funds in the summer to bring in the people he wants, could end disastrously yes but could also do the opposite. Really fed up of all our seasons being over by March. 

P.S in the end my logical thoughts won and I chose “Give Rest of season - if performance as now, dismiss” 

Edited by George Rs
  • Like 3

Sack or don’t sack - we need to invest in the squad - so I don’t like any option involving that. 

As we’ve seen and the Lansdowns are finding out…holding back funds from a manager you ultimately cut your nose off to spite your face.

Review at end of season for me.

If he does go, Tinnion also has to IMO or the charade will continue. Let’s ******* have some people in positions of power at the club that actually inspire excellence. 

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 5

Please don't back him and review in November. It's just another season written off at best. If there's no sign of improvement on NPs performance why would you chuck more money at it. This guy is hired as a head coach and was given a top 6 squad to play with. We've gone backwards. Yes I'm going to use that line as a stick to beat them with because they were stupid enough to say it.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

My enthusiasm has waned big time since travelling to QPR, Huddersfield and Blackburn before Christmas to witness boring sideways passing football. In fairness I also went to Southampton and that wasn't too bad. 

I can not comment on Watford Away or Southampton at home as I did not see those games.

Sunderland, Millwall, Leeds, QPR at home have been 4 of the worst I have seen for years (ok Lincoln and WBA, last year were terrible too). Watford wasn't great.

I have stopped being excited on a Saturday match day and now dread what is going to happen (a 4 hour round tri doesn't help).

On the current trajectory and looking at the teams likely to come up from League one, together with those being relegated from this league I can only see a long relegation scrap next season.

I would give him until the end of the season, but honestly wouldn't care too much if he was gone tomorrow.

• Like 6

He should go now. Seems like a nice enough guy but clearly out of his depth. When you start 2 unfit players and leave an expensive loanee out of the squad that is the sign of him losing the plot. There doesn’t appear to be any specific style of play or formation employed by him and seems clueless with tactics when trying to effect a game. I would give Andy King a go to the end of the season. He’s had a positive effect on the youngsters and got all the coaching badges. It could turn out to be a genius stroke but won’t happen as he’s a ‘Pearson’ man. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

He has until the end of the season atm for me and that’s because of cup performances and two very good league performances.   But lose next week and I’d need to reassess.  It’s only 3 points but feels like it represents a whole lot more atm, for me at least.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

He has until the end of the season atm for me and that’s because of cup performances and two very good league performances.   But lose next week and I’d need to reassess.  It’s only 3 points but feels like it represents a whole lot more atm, for me at least.   

I think that’s not unreasonable (as is the suggestion of giving King the job on a temporary basis). Although I think reassess end of the season is fair now, if we lose 5 on the bounce (for example) then there is limited time to get back enough in credit to change the decision so it would be fair for the position to change then.

I am afraid that the current leadership at the club (not just Manning) will squander the war chest created while Pearson and Gould were here. I would not give them that chance. But JL would have to go and that’s not likely. So I expect another opportunity for advancement at the club to be lost. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gaseater said:

A sea change amongst the otib posters who make up 0.05% of the fanbase.

Wait and see the reaction if we lose to Cardiff next week..

...The boos rang out vs Norwich in December and there was some pro NP chanting at Manning's first 2 games.

Next season will be the acid test, fans will turn if we're in a relegation scrap come October, November. Especially if backed with money..hierarchy deserve hell.

• Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

My enthusiasm has waned big time since travelling to QPR, Huddersfield and Blackburn before Christmas to witness boring sideways passing football. In fairness I also went to Southampton and that wasn't too bad. 

I can not comment on Watford Away or Southampton at home as I did not see those games.

Sunderland, Millwall, Leeds, QPR at home have been 4 of the worst I have seen for years (ok Lincoln and WBA, last year were terrible too). Watford wasn't great.

I have stopped being excited on a Saturday match day and now dread what is going to happen (a 4 hour round tri doesn't help).

On the current trajectory and looking at the teams likely to come up from League one, together with those being relegated from this league I can only see a long relegation scrap next season.

I would give him until the end of the season, but honestly wouldn't care too much if he was gone tomorrow.

Without wishing to get too personal, could you stay away more often please? 😂😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lenred said:

It’s not asking the same question. 

Mate - don’t feed the troll. When someone is belittling the forum then posts loads on it, and creates multiple IDs when he’s banned to engage in said forum, it’s pretty clear he needs sex/beer/friends and by engaging you’re only showing him the futility of his own life.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

I’m not ready to take a view at the moment as there seem to be short runs of good performances followed by short runs of poor performances. If that continues and we end up staying between 10th and 14th then I’d say back in the summer and see what happens next year. However, if the two straight defeats are the start of a genuine downturn then I would want a change before the end of the season. 

I’m not currently definitively back or definitively sack but I don’t see any benefit of keeping him until the end of the season and then making another change in the summer, nor in keeping him but not backing him in the transfer market. If we’re backing him, we should back him. If not then we should make the change once that is decided. I’d always rather give a manager every opportunity for improvement before I’d change things and I don’t think there is currently enough to justify sacking him but that could change in the next month or so if the form of the last two games continues.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 2

We can’t sack him in November, that would be a second season written off before Christmas and essentially two seasons wasted on LM. It has to be this summer or next.

I think he needs to show by the end of the season that he can get something out of this squad before trusting him with a full summer and some proper money for transfers. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I’m not ready to take a view at the moment as there seem to be short runs of good performances followed by short runs of poor performances. If that continues and we end up staying between 10th and 14th then I’d say back in the summer and see what happens next year. However, if the two straight defeats are the start of a genuine downturn then I would want a change before the end of the season.

you approach to this is the same as mine.

I’m not currently definitively back or definitively sack but I don’t see any benefit of keeping him until the end of the season and then making another change in the summer, nor in keeping him but not backing him in the transfer market. If we’re backing him, we should back him. If not then we should make the change once that is decided. I’d always rather give a manager every opportunity for improvement before change things and I don’t think there is currently enough to justify sacking him but that could change in the next month or so if the form of the last two games continues.

yes, there are lots of decisions needed before the end of the season.  The hierarchy are either happy to give him the summer, or they aren’t.  And if they aren’t, then they need to act as soon as they hit that point, not a convenient point like end of season.  That is not a convenient point in planning for the summer.

Personally I think results will tick over and the hierarchy will move into summer planning with LZm

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1