IGNORED

Today’s Ref and that red card

MarcusX

I’ll start by saying I thought todays ref was dreadful even by usual standards. He seemed to give us very little, but equally gave them against us for similar offences.

I’ve seen some say Bernard’s first yellow could have been red but it seemed to me he had cover, I thought it was a standard yellow tbh for a professional foul.

Now the red… this caused a fair amount of confusion amongst some of us today because in part half of us missed the actual card being shown.

I was fairly certain at the time the ref got this wrong - potentially for two reasons.

1. Stopping a promising attack is only a yellow if it actually stops the attack, if advantage is played the ref shouldn’t go back and show a yellow unless the challenge was otherwise worthy of one - eg a bad tackle.

It didn’t stop the play evidently because advantage was played (and I thought it was just another pull not a yellow tackle but I could be wrong!) which leads to the second mistake…

2. Referee shouldn’t play advantage in the event of a second yellow incident, unless there’s a clear goal scoring opportunity - which i don’t think there was really (ie we weren’t through on goal). 

If the ref does play on, and the offending player plays the ball or interferes with an opponent then the ref should stop the game immediately - which he also didn’t do I don’t think? It seemed like a good few minutes later.

Id have to watch the highlights again to see if this is all how I remember it, but a very weird set of events.

Oh, and blowing the full time whistle when we’ve just won a corner too, which seemed to cause it to kick off a bit at the end.

Very minor in the grand scheme of things but thought it was something else to discuss rather than Manning/Lansdown/Tinnian etc

16 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I’ll start by saying I thought todays ref was dreadful even by usual standards. He seemed to give us very little, but equally gave them against us for similar offences.

I’ve seen some say Bernard’s first yellow could have been red but it seemed to me he had cover, I thought it was a standard yellow tbh for a professional foul.

Now the red… this caused a fair amount of confusion amongst some of us today because in part half of us missed the actual card being shown.

I was fairly certain at the time the ref got this wrong - potentially for two reasons.

1. Stopping a promising attack is only a yellow if it actually stops the attack, if advantage is played the ref shouldn’t go back and show a yellow unless the challenge was otherwise worthy of one - eg a bad tackle.

It didn’t stop the play evidently because advantage was played (and I thought it was just another pull not a yellow tackle but I could be wrong!) which leads to the second mistake…

2. Referee shouldn’t play advantage in the event of a second yellow incident, unless there’s a clear goal scoring opportunity - which i don’t think there was really (ie we weren’t through on goal). 

If the ref does play on, and the offending player plays the ball or interferes with an opponent then the ref should stop the game immediately - which he also didn’t do I don’t think? It seemed like a good few minutes later.

Id have to watch the highlights again to see if this is all how I remember it, but a very weird set of events.

Oh, and blowing the full time whistle when we’ve just won a corner too, which seemed to cause it to kick off a bit at the end.

Very minor in the grand scheme of things but thought it was something else to discuss rather than Manning/Lansdown/Tinnian etc

I thought it was a bad tackle.

I’m saying that without the benefit of having seen it again, but at the time I thought so.

My surprise was that, after play had continued for so long, he didn’t bottle it. I said as play went on that I’d wager he wouldn’t bother with a card, especially as I had a feeling it had been the same player booked in the first half.

Fair play, he didn’t, and I thought he got that spot on. Even though it was about the only thing he did get right all game!

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Which was that? I must have missed that too

City players were claiming a handball second half. Too far away and the area was too crowded to see really. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I thought it was a bad tackle.

I’m saying that without the benefit of having seen it again, but at the time I thought so.

My surprise was that, after play had continued for so long, he didn’t bottle it. I said as play went on that I’d wager he wouldn’t bother with a card, especially as I had a feeling it had been the same player booked in the first half.

Fair play, he didn’t, and I thought he got that spot on. Even though it was about the only thing he did get right all game!

So it is on the highlights, at 1:24

Yes agree it’s a mistimed tackle and probably a fair second yellow, and the ref did play advantage well - it turned into a goal scoring opportunity.

Afterwards he then recovers and headers the ball so st that point play should have been stopped and I think it was later than that.

The handball is in the highlights too which I assume is the penalty, does look like we should have had one from that!

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Yep just seen in the highlights, I remember the appeals but couldn’t see what for from the other end. 
What can you say? Just our luck 

First time he had refereed us or Wednesday, was in non league two years ago.

Not the reason we lost but it would certainly have helped if he had correctly sent off Bernard 40 minutes before he did & awarded the penalty he missed.

Let a lot of physical stuff by them go, too.

Hardly unique at our level but he wasn’t very good.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 2

The possible sending off, too many questions for it to be a straight Red IMO.

Definite hand ball, at the time I couldn't see it but it's the first time I've seen our lot so incensed for a while so I thought it must have been. Not sure how the Ref missed it, the normal position would have meant a good view.

Generally didn't see fouls ON a black shirt . 

I thought he did well on the sending off, even if it sounds like it wasn't strictly by the book. Nasty challenge and I wouldn't have complained if he had stopped play.

Not the worst I've seen , but struggled to be average. 

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

First time he had refereed us or Wednesday, was in non league two years ago.

Not the reason we lost but it would certainly have helped if he had correctly sent off Bernard 40 minutes before he did & awarded the penalty he missed.

Let a lot of physical stuff by them go, too.

Hardly unique at our level but he wasn’t very good.

Albeit was the Bannan red in November justified vs the same opposition?

The FA thought otherwise on Appeal of course.

I thought that throughout the game he struggled with the concept that ‘being vaguely near the ball’ and ‘making an attempt to play the ball’ are two different things. I lost count of the number of times he allowed Wednesday players to push, shove, and simply run into our players to knock them off the ball.

And that incident near the end when McCrorie was barged off the ball - that wasn’t a shoulder to shoulder challenge, it was a shoulder barge on a player running with the ball. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I thought that throughout the game he struggled with the concept that ‘being vaguely near the ball’ and ‘making an attempt to play the ball’ are two different things. I lost count of the number of times he allowed Wednesday players to push, shove, and simply run into our players to knock them off the ball.

And that incident near the end when McCrorie was barged off the ball - that wasn’t a shoulder to shoulder challenge, it was a shoulder barge on a player running with the ball. 

Was that where he awarded a thrown in to them?

He did seem selective for some of the tackles/fouls. There were a few of them falling over in the second half where he stopped play but didn't allow extra time for. Also their goalkeeper was allowed "ample" time to take goal/free kicks. I'm sure that our goalkeepers have been booked for that in the past.

Bernard yellow was correct. 
Bernard second yellow was correct. 
Should have been a penalty. 
He should have allowed the corner as it was he himself who wasted precious seconds on the previous corner by stopping play and speaking to the players. 
I think he did ok with everything else and didn’t get fooled by players falling too easily. Allowed the physical stuff too (we were just too weak).
I thought he did ok. Aside from the penalty and the final (non) corner 

Edited by Harry