IGNORED

How can Manning steady the ship and set us in the right direction again?

I'll start.

Win games, ideally as a starting point. Winning games cures a lot of ills and buys time.

However, beyond that...?

*Pick a consistent side, ideal 1st XI with tweaks rather than multiple changes a game (the usual caveats ie injuries etc aside).

*Pick a consistent shape.

*Perhaps encourage us to press and counter press, yet to be good with the ball when we have it. We can lack a certain intensity and dynamism to our play.

On the last point, we perhaps play better with a bit of intensity in our play and combine that with competence yet speed in possession..well competence in possession means you can press more intensely when you lack it.

It does feel to me though as we need to steady the ship, and less of a wild divergence in performance. We need to try and put a more consistent floor under performance level baseline etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I think the problem for Manning is that he's never coached at this level so how on earth can he achieve consistency? He's basically putting his faith in his own coaching techniques and hoping, with a better calibre of player, that they learn a lot quicker. He must be doubting his ability now. The club think the same way. There is no doubt he can coach but at this level you have to manage, not just coach, as well. Everyone hangs on your word, you have to paint a positive picture, manage player and club aspirations as well as fans. That's an awful lot of work to get through. There is no doubt he has felt the backlash of being the coach to follow such a popular manager, that's not his fault of course, but I don't see an upturn in form either and his game management skills have been questionable whether it be changing style/ formation to substitutions, that's squarely down to him.

• Like 2