IGNORED

John Atyeo - nice piece on bbc website

Whitleybay red

I remember that match. I'm glad the article mentions Atyeo flicking the ball over his head and volleying it to score as I've often wondered if my memory was deceiving me. Sometime, with the passage of time, you remember goals as being much better than they were, but not in this case. What the article doesn't mention is Atyeo was marked by the centre half which was why he flicked the ball over his head. He also had to run around the centre half to volley the ball as it came down. City supporters behind the gaol went crazy!

I remember that match. I'm glad the article mentions Atyeo flicking the ball over his head and volleying it to score as I've often wondered if my memory was deceiving me. Sometime, with the passage of time, you remember goals as being much better than they were, but not in this case. What the article doesn't mention is Atyeo was marked by the centre half which was why he flicked the ball over his head. He also had to run around the centre half to volley the ball as it came down. City supporters behind the gaol went crazy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

It's quite a good topic, that. I can't ever remember seeing a player score four in a game in the 25 years I've been following... anyone else?!

Tony Thorpe scoring a 28-minute hat-trick on the opening day at Northampton in 2001 is about the most notable I can think of.

Didn't Carl Shutt score 4 in a game once

• Like 4

What was so important about those goals and the 2 points for a win. We also won the home game v Shrews the next day and on the following Saturday a 2-0 win over Oldham at Ashton Gate meant we won promotion by goal difference over Mansfield.

PS, it wasn't goal difference but I can't remember how it was calculated.

Edited by cidered abroad

2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Screenshot_20240228-115832-661.png

Being a bit of a ground nerd I'm trying to work out where that pic was taken, it's not AG and he's wearing a City shirt so it must be an away league ground 2nd or 3rd division...Wolves maybe ??

Edited by CodeRed

2 minutes ago, trickytimes said:

It was decided by goal average - number of goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded.

I quite like the sound of that, as without thinking about it too much, seems to calculate a proportional representation of how your defence compares to your attack.

Is there any downfall to this calculation compared to goal difference, or goals scored etc?

1 minute ago, beaverface said:

I quite like the sound of that, as without thinking about it too much, seems to calculate a proportional representation of how your defence compares to your attack.

Is there any downfall to this calculation compared to goal difference, or goals scored etc?

It means that a 1-0 win is better than any win where you concede a goal, so basically better than say 6-1

19 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Being a bit of a ground nerd I'm trying to work out where that pic was taken, it's not AG and he's wearing a City shirt so it must be an away league ground 2nd or 3rd division...Wolves maybe ??

Yep, was also wondering that. At first I thought perhaps it was Fratton Park and a Portsmouth shirt but the badge looks like City and an old photo of FP I checked doesn't match. It is a weird looking stand in the back ground so hopefully someone will recognise it.

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What was so important about those goals and the 2 points for a win. We also won the home game v Shrews the next day and on the following Saturday a 2-0 win over Oldham at Ashton Gate meant we won promotion by goal difference over Mansfield.

PS, it wasn't goal difference but I can't remember how it was calculated.

30 minutes ago, trickytimes said:

It was decided by goal average - number of goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded.

26 minutes ago, beaverface said:

City finished the season with goals for / against of 95 / 55 giving a goal average of 1.73

Mansfield, who were third, had goals for / against of 95 - 61 giving a goal average of 1.56

If goal difference had been applied City would still have been promoted as the goal difference was 40 against Mansfield’s 34

IMG_5567.jpeg

Edited by pongo88

I must say, I love seeing these different pictures of John Atyeo. It would be great if there was a pinned thread where all the photo's could be recorded of him. After all, he is arguably the greatest ever Bristol City player.

A lot of the time, it's the usual pictures you see of him, but this one is a bit different, and I like it 🙂

Wish I had the memory others display, I was at the game and knew he had scored four, but couldn’t for the life of me remember any of them.

Smiths four, his best was the last, a volley if I remember correctly.

Didn’t Galley get three on debut at Huddersfield? Again I was there but can’t remember for sure.

Royles hat trick at AG, again can’t remember the details.

I do however remember scoring a ‘perfect’ hat trick myself when I played. 😇😇😇

18 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Thanks, didn't see that, yes I do recognise it now .

Yes now it's been pointed out you can see it's the Braemer Road stand, the floodlights along the top of the stand were removed and traditional pylons were erected in each corner in 1963 ( per wiki) so the picture is pre that date. The old covered end kop terrace in the picture was replaced by the distinctive ' Wendy house ' 2 tiered stand in the 80's. I've been several times but after the kop end was demolished.

47 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Wish I had the memory others display, I was at the game and knew he had scored four, but couldn’t for the life of me remember any of them

Hope this jogs your memory 

The first resulted from a long ball up the left wing by City that went out of play by the Shrewsbury’s penalty area. A defender threw the ball back to the keeper, but did he see big John lurking? No he didn’t because Atyeo nipped in to intercept the throw and glide the ball into the net from a narrow angle

The second and fourth were similar, coming from moves down City’s right wing. With one a high cross came over and Atyeo rose to beat a defender and glance a header into the net. With the other the cross was low and Atyeo nipped in front of a defender to side foot the ball into the net

The third was as described above 

4 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Yes now it's been pointed out you can see it's the Braemer Road stand, the floodlights along the top of the stand were removed and traditional pylons were erected in each corner in 1963 ( per wiki) so the picture is pre that date. The old covered end kop terrace in the picture was replaced by the distinctive ' Wendy house ' 2 tiered stand in the 80's. I've been several times but after the kop end was demolished.

I went there a couple of times before they built the flats and ruined that end !