IGNORED

John Atyeo - nice piece on bbc website

Whitleybay red

I was thinking City wouldn't have worn the home kit away to Brentford. However on checking the historical football kits website I see that Brentford, strangely, wore yellow shirts with blue trim for the 1960-61 season only. Perhaps that was when the photo was taken.

Despite everything Atyeo achieved on the pitch, it is personally eclipsed by him being a maths teacher - more specifically my mum’s maths teacher (Henbury).

In my 40+ years, I don’t think I’ve ever heard his name without my mum chipping in with this additional piece of information. So much so that I find myself repeating it to this day, like now 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

I was thinking City wouldn't have worn the home kit away to Brentford. However on checking the historical football kits website I see that Brentford, strangely, wore yellow shirts with blue trim for the 1960-61 season only. Perhaps that was when the photo was taken.

Yes correct, using that website it shows the kit Big John was wearing was worn by City between 1958 and season 1961/2.  So the picture must have been taken in 60/61. We played Brentford on December 10th 1960 at Griffin Park. We lost 2-0.😒.

10 hours ago, The Journalist said:

It's quite a good topic, that. I can't ever remember seeing a player score four in a game in the 25 years I've been following... anyone else?!

Tony Thorpe scoring a 28-minute hat-trick on the opening day at Northampton in 2001 is about the most notable I can think of.

Joe Royle debut 

14 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Good work! On a purile, childish note I should point out that in those days the photos suggest City played in white shorts with a grey shirt, Brentford would gave played in white shorts with grey and white striped shirts. The grass was also grey.

• Haha 1