IGNORED

Cross Border Cups Between Scottish English Clubs.

How about cross border cups for Scottish football?

I say a good way for Scottish football to improve is to have cross border trophies on top of domestic and European football.

There are an entire host of ideas that could happen. Bring back the Anglo-Scottish Cup. 

Change the Scottish Premiership to a 16 team 30 game league. Then have extra cross border cups.

Ideas could include a North Atlantic League Cup. With the top four to 8 SPFL clubs playing a group stage trophy with teams from Europe, Asia, or Africa, or North America, or Saudi Arabia.

The Scottish allow Welsh and Northern Ireland club sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

The Scottish and Welsh Rugby clubs travel to places like South Africa, and Italy. And UEFA soccer has seen Scottish sides travel to Central Asia. So football clubs could travel 5 or 8 times a year to the USA, or Africa.

In UEFA trophies Scottish and Welsh sides have been to Central Asia. 

Other ideas could include having all Scottish Premiership sides not in Europe, plus selected Welsh Cymru Premier club  sides, and perhaps North West French sides in the Football League Trophy. There could easily be 16 teams added to the EFL Trophy with a little reorganisation of the trophy to add the new sides. 

Perhaps all Scots Championsip sides, Welsh Cymru Premier sides, and some North Western French sides in the non-league FA Trophy.

Or Celtic Nations Club Cup of Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Ulster, Cornish, Brittany, Isle of Man and Yorkshire club sides. 

Perhaps leading Scottish, Irish, French, Dutch, Belgian or German sides invited as guests into the Engliah FA Cup, or English League Cup. 

I do not support merging the British leagues, as people would wrongly think Scotland was part of England. And all the Scottish trophies in history would be relegated to the status of lower tier trophies. While all the English trophies would be seen as forerunners of the British trophies. So Scottish clubs would be seen to be reset as having won ZERO trophies. Also 30 trips into England a year might be too much bit 7 to 8 times a year would keep it a novelty and highlight of the year. 

We need Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of domestic and European football. 

If we had a British League a club like Dundee could make 20 trips year of up to 500 miles. That would be too tough. It has to be at a manageable number of games. 

Just now, JoeyVimsantePoet said:

It is not bizarre. It is about football. This is a football forum. 

I’m only playing Joey! Just very out the blue. All a bit overcomplicated for my tastes, but hey the FA and UEFA have done whackier than this!

3 minutes ago, JoeyVimsantePoet said:

Poems don't have to rhyme. :laugh:.

But I would love Scottish to play English sides every season. Not too many times but not never. 

We’ve actually won an Anglo-Scottish haven’t we. Before my birth but a trophy is a trophy! But with ‘fixture congestion’ being every managers buzzword I’m not sure I can see it coming back without some other reshuffling. 

4 minutes ago, JoeyVimsantePoet said:

Poems don't have to rhyme. :laugh:.

But I would love Scottish to play English sides every season. Not too many times but not never. 

Darn you real poets!

I was too young to really remember the Anglo-Scottish cup.

12 hours ago, JoeyVimsantePoet said:

How about cross border cups for Scottish football?

I say a good way for Scottish football to improve is to have cross border trophies on top of domestic and European football.

There are an entire host of ideas that could happen. Bring back the Anglo-Scottish Cup. 

Change the Scottish Premiership to a 16 team 30 game league. Then have extra cross border cups.

Ideas could include a North Atlantic League Cup. With the top four to 8 SPFL clubs playing a group stage trophy with teams from Europe, Asia, or Africa, or North America, or Saudi Arabia.

The Scottish allow Welsh and Northern Ireland club sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup.

The Scottish and Welsh Rugby clubs travel to places like South Africa, and Italy. And UEFA soccer has seen Scottish sides travel to Central Asia. So football clubs could travel 5 or 8 times a year to the USA, or Africa.

In UEFA trophies Scottish and Welsh sides have been to Central Asia. 

Other ideas could include having all Scottish Premiership sides not in Europe, plus selected Welsh Cymru Premier club  sides, and perhaps North West French sides in the Football League Trophy. There could easily be 16 teams added to the EFL Trophy with a little reorganisation of the trophy to add the new sides. 

Perhaps all Scots Championsip sides, Welsh Cymru Premier sides, and some North Western French sides in the non-league FA Trophy.

Or Celtic Nations Club Cup of Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Ulster, Cornish, Brittany, Isle of Man and Yorkshire club sides. 

Perhaps leading Scottish, Irish, French, Dutch, Belgian or German sides invited as guests into the Engliah FA Cup, or English League Cup. 

I do not support merging the British leagues, as people would wrongly think Scotland was part of England. And all the Scottish trophies in history would be relegated to the status of lower tier trophies. While all the English trophies would be seen as forerunners of the British trophies. So Scottish clubs would be seen to be reset as having won ZERO trophies. Also 30 trips into England a year might be too much bit 7 to 8 times a year would keep it a novelty and highlight of the year. 

We need Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of domestic and European football. 

If we had a British League a club like Dundee could make 20 trips year of up to 500 miles. That would be too tough. It has to be at a manageable number of games. 

Ok...

Why should clubs,all with VERY heavy schedules, and nearly all losing money  make themselves available to help improve Scottish football ?

Sort your own shit out.

• Like 1

Just have a British FA and a British league at the higher levels, then regionalise things lower down as we already do.

Scrap the regional FAs and their leagues and have the football system actually reflecting the country we all live in.

One national UK team as well, no more of this pretending that England, Scotland, Wales and NI are countries.

Edited by ExiledAjax

13 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

We’ve actually won an Anglo-Scottish haven’t we. Before my birth but a trophy is a trophy! But with ‘fixture congestion’ being every managers buzzword I’m not sure I can see it coming back without some other reshuffling. 

We have greatcup history over our 100 plus years.

Anglo Scottish.... Glos Cup....Paint pot trophy.  Wow, makes you proud to be a City fan. Didn't we also win the Welsh cup once?

13 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just have a British FA and a British league at the higher levels, then regionalise things lower down as we already do.

Scrap the regional FAs and their leagues and have the football system actually reflecting the country we all live in.

One national UK team as well, no more of this pretending that England, Scotland, Wales and NI are countries.

That would only benefit Celtic and Rangers.

Not for me tbh.

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

That would only benefit Celtic and Rangers.

Not for me tbh.

I think it would have far broader benefits to society as a whole. But there we begin to stray into the type of thing that belongs in the politics forum so I'll leave that.

To the OPs footballing point yes I guess I'd support a pan-UK Cup competition. Not sure who would organise it though whilst we still have the tribal "national" FAs.

59 minutes ago, marmite said:

We have greatcup history over our 100 plus years.

Anglo Scottish.... Glos Cup....Paint pot trophy.  Wow, makes you proud to be a City fan. Didn't we also win the Welsh cup once?

10 honours in our history. 

1 second tier title.

4 third tier titles.

3 JPT’s.

1 Anglo-Scottish Cup.

1 Welsh Cup.

I discount Gloucester cups. Too regionalised a competition.

Not pretty reading I grant you but we’re STILL more decorated than the gas.

I can remember the Anglo Scottish Cup. It was awful with sparse crowds and a sprinkling of unbelievably drunk Scottish fans who could hardly stand up. One of them spoke to me and said something like “Mony A Mickle Maks A Muckle.”. I couldn’t argue with that so I made my excuses and beat a hasty retreat 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I can remember the Anglo Scottish Cup. It was awful with sparse crowds and a sprinkling of unbelievably drunk Scottish fans who could hardly stand up. One of them spoke to me and said something like “Mony A Mickle Maks A Muckle.”. I couldn’t argue with that so I made my excuses and beat a hasty retreat 

😁😁 pointless wasnt it.

• Like 1

There is too much football as it is. It would make sense for England and Scotland to stop the League Cup and just play league, FA Cup and European matches. Pre season friendlies between English and Scottish clubs would be good. They would also be more competitive than a lot of friendlies.