IGNORED

Not good reading for us if we want to keep Conway

Dr Balls

18 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Article about how Haaland is a potential problem for Guardiola because he has potentially disrupted “their processes” I.e. boring opposition teams to death with their midfield possession play and wanting to walk the ball into the net.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2024/mar/02/erling-haaland-remains-both-solution-and-problem-for-manchester-city

But of course Haaland is the ultimate centre forward of modern times and gets goals that others wouldn’t just because of how he plays. What he really likes is balls played through in front of him that he can run into as per most of the 5 he scored against Luton. Helps that he has De Bruyne to play those passes.

Supposedly playing Haaland and playing to Haaland’s strengths as a centre forward has made Man City more open at the back against balls behind the defence, so conceding more goals. Yet going back to how they played with “their processes” potentially strangles the flow to Haaland and negates having such a prolific goalscorer upfront.

It’s no coincidence that the form of Tommy Conway and his goal scoring from open play has fallen off a cliff since Manning arrived. The tactics, formation and “processes” are meaning he has few if any opportunities on goal. We all remember the goal against West Ham away because it was brilliantly taken and absolutely what he is capable of, but also because it’s such an outlier since Manning arrived. When since that game has he been given a through ball like that to run onto? I am struggling to think of a single occasion in the last 8 weeks.

So it should be no surprise that Tommy might be stalling on signing a new contract. Why stay at a club that’s not only going nowhere but completely ignores your strengths and makes you look far worse as a striker? Especially when there will be clubs willing to offer you far more to play in a team that plays to your strengths and values your goal-scoring ability. He only has to look how much his mate Alex Scott is making at Bournemouth to realise his own potential earnings, plus the opportunity to play at the highest level.

So in summary, given how he has been treated by Manning and his tactics, do I expect Tommy Conway to be a Bristol City player next season? In a word “no”.

TBH im not really that fussed, hes not a world beater, if he wont sign, get him gone.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

It’s one thing to lose Alex Scott for significant money simply because he’s already “premier league ready”, but to slam the brakes on TC’s progress then potentially lose him for a lower price and not see him realise at least some of his full potential with us is really frustrating.

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

On 03/03/2024 at 07:56, Dr Balls said:

Its no coincidence that the form of Tommy Conway and his goal scoring from open play has fallen off a cliff since Manning arrived. The tactics, formation and “processes” are meaning he has few if any opportunities on goal. We all remember the goal against West Ham away because it was brilliantly taken and absolutely what he is capable of, but also because it’s such an outlier since Manning arrived. When since that game has he been given a through ball like that to run onto? I am struggling to think of a single occasion in the last 8 weeks.

No argument with the point you're making. I seem to remember at least two one-on-ones with the goalie that Tommy failed to take? I guess lack of opportunities does make you remember them more though.

Edited by robin_unreliant

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

We do not have FFP concerns at present, ask poppy

And I’d agree with not selling if the player in question (Conway) didn’t only have 1 year left on his contract after this season, we won’t want to lose him for compensation as it’s highly unlikely we’d be in position to compete for play offs next season so gambling and keeping Tommy is unlikely to do anything other than lose us a good few million we could reinvest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

And I’d agree with not selling if the player in question (Conway) didn’t only have 1 year left on his contract after this season, we won’t want to lose him for compensation as it’s highly unlikely we’d be in position to compete for play offs next season so gambling and keeping Tommy is unlikely to do anything other than lose us a good few million we could reinvest. 

You still don’t get it, there is no “us” , do you personally feel richer now that Alex has gone, did you check your trouser pockets for £28M before putting them in the wash ?

Won’t be different when they flog Bristol born &bred Tommy, or Knight , or Roberts or any of this window’s purchases, you won’t be any richer and we will still be a mediocre Championship (or L1) team.

Tommy is still raw , get him to sign a new contract, and develop him further. He is young, his family and friends are here in Bristol and he is getting first team action. Not that difficult a sell, if you have a desire to be better

6 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Tommy is still raw , get him to sign a new contract, and develop him further. He is young, his family and friends are here in Bristol and he is getting first team action. Not that difficult a sell, if you have a desire to be better

There's no way Tommy signs a new contract even if we sack Manning, even if Pearson was still here. He's highly ambitious and he'll want to achieve his goals of playing at the highest level possible whether that's signs for Rangers or Celtic getting European football, somehow a PL club signing him as a squad player or signing for one of the bigger Championship teams who'll help him by utilising his skill set better then we are all of which help his chances of getting to the Scotland senior squad or the PL more than signing a new contract here, the reality frankly is that Tommy will be gone in the summer. 

• Like 2

Always cheaper to keep a decent young player than sign a replacement, particularly if a big transfer fee is out of the question. Not a big gamble to offer TC a good contract, as he’s proven while still maturing. At the very least, dangle a big carrot and if he still says no, we at least know there’s absolutely nothing we can do and the pressure is off a bit.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

There's no way Tommy signs a new contract even if we sack Manning, even if Pearson was still here. He's highly ambitious and he'll want to achieve his goals of playing at the highest level possible whether that's signs for Rangers or Celtic getting European football, somehow a PL club signing him as a squad player or signing for one of the bigger Championship teams who'll help him by utilising his skill set better then we are all of which help his chances of getting to the Scotland senior squad or the PL more than signing a new contract here, the reality frankly is that Tommy will be gone in the summer. 

Jordan James or Tommy Conway? Or is contract length the decider here.

2 hours ago, Bedred31 said:

Always cheaper to keep a decent young player than sign a replacement, particularly if a big transfer fee is out of the question. Not a big gamble to offer TC a good contract, as he’s proven while still maturing. At the very least, dangle a big carrot and if he still says no, we at least know there’s absolutely nothing we can do and the pressure is off a bit.

I tend to agree.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Jordan James or Tommy Conway? Or is contract length the decider here.

Contract length, we won’t want to lose Tommy for just compensation the summer after, regardless to being tight on ffp or not it’s still millions difference 

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Contract length, we won’t want to lose Tommy for just compensation the summer after, regardless to being tight on ffp or not it’s still millions difference 

I suppose James has a year plus club option in his favour.

We do have a decision to make and yet for once I'm not instantly coming down on the side of sell and reinvest. If the favoured style of Manning is playing a part in seeing Conway regress and or lose market value well that is a failure of Manning.

13 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I feel a more Positive Mental Attitude would benefit your life greatly. Let’s hope we win tonight. COYRs.

PS You are making a lot of assumptions about Tommy’s ambitions and immediate plans , none of which you can possibly know. As to my hopes , they are also unknown as I don’t know Tommy’s wishes for now , but what I do know is that the club should at least try.Is that too much to ask ?

On 03/03/2024 at 07:56, Dr Balls said:

Article about how Haaland is a potential problem for Guardiola because he has potentially disrupted “their processes” I.e. boring opposition teams to death with their midfield possession play and wanting to walk the ball into the net.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2024/mar/02/erling-haaland-remains-both-solution-and-problem-for-manchester-city

But of course Haaland is the ultimate centre forward of modern times and gets goals that others wouldn’t just because of how he plays. What he really likes is balls played through in front of him that he can run into as per most of the 5 he scored against Luton. Helps that he has De Bruyne to play those passes.

Supposedly playing Haaland and playing to Haaland’s strengths as a centre forward has made Man City more open at the back against balls behind the defence, so conceding more goals. Yet going back to how they played with “their processes” potentially strangles the flow to Haaland and negates having such a prolific goalscorer upfront.

It’s no coincidence that the form of Tommy Conway and his goal scoring from open play has fallen off a cliff since Manning arrived. The tactics, formation and “processes” are meaning he has few if any opportunities on goal. We all remember the goal against West Ham away because it was brilliantly taken and absolutely what he is capable of, but also because it’s such an outlier since Manning arrived. When since that game has he been given a through ball like that to run onto? I am struggling to think of a single occasion in the last 8 weeks.

So it should be no surprise that Tommy might be stalling on signing a new contract. Why stay at a club that’s not only going nowhere but completely ignores your strengths and makes you look far worse as a striker? Especially when there will be clubs willing to offer you far more to play in a team that plays to your strengths and values your goal-scoring ability. He only has to look how much his mate Alex Scott is making at Bournemouth to realise his own potential earnings, plus the opportunity to play at the highest level.

So in summary, given how he has been treated by Manning and his tactics, do I expect Tommy Conway to be a Bristol City player next season? In a word “no”.

Says it all when Tommy says he is not worried about scoring less goals than last year because he has become a better defender.

• Like 1