IGNORED

Piercy on Bristol Live

Decent article as usual, worth a look. 

I liked this bit, and it was sort of something I said yesterday. We didn't play badly because of players playing badly, we played badly because of HOW we are playing. 

You will undoubtedly steadfastly disagree with this statement, and I’ll completely understand why, but the strange thing about this game was that nobody played especially poorly; there were no clear mistakes, no moments of hair-brained decision-making or a lack of effort from the 16 individuals who took to the field at various times. It was just collectively the Robins kind of flatlined and couldn’t lift their performance above a deeply modest baseline.

Apparently Manning said about not having a kid filling the empty spots on the bench , 

“The academy have got a big week with the Youth Cup and it’s that balance,” Manning said. “We’ve taken the lads and had them train with us this week but in terms of momentum doing things like that, by taking them and knowing you possibly might not use them, what’s actually best for them? That was a decision that we made.”

Surely that's the case for any Sub , I know he does do some Subs by numbers ( 60mins Sub time ) but you can't say for definite what will happen in any game. As the U18s don't play until Thursday , would it really disrupt their week that much?

Obviously that didn't make any difference to the outcome, but it just annoys me when you see Embude on the bench having slightly less playing time in mens football than Yeboah.
Another thing I would question Manning for. 

Anyway , here's the whole thing.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-verdict-wrong-chemistry-9138788

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I liked this bit, and it was sort of something I said yesterday. We didn't play badly because of players playing badly, we played badly because of HOW we are playing. 

You will undoubtedly steadfastly disagree with this statement, and I’ll completely understand why, but the strange thing about this game was that nobody played especially poorly; there were no clear mistakes, no moments of hair-brained decision-making or a lack of effort from the 16 individuals who took to the field at various times. It was just collectively the Robins kind of flatlined and couldn’t lift their performance above a deeply modest baseline.

Apparently Manning said about not having a kid filling the empty spots on the bench , 

“The academy have got a big week with the Youth Cup and it’s that balance,” Manning said. “We’ve taken the lads and had them train with us this week but in terms of momentum doing things like that, by taking them and knowing you possibly might not use them, what’s actually best for them? That was a decision that we made.”

Surely that's the case for any Sub , I know he does do some Subs by numbers ( 60mins Sub time ) but you can't say for definite what will happen in any game. As the U18s don't play until Thursday , would it really disrupt their week that much?

Obviously that didn't make any difference to the outcome, but it just annoys me when you see Embude on the bench having slightly less playing time in mens football than Yeboah.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-verdict-wrong-chemistry-9138788

Manning has lost the fans and players trust from the outside looking in,

He's continuing to blame his players and not look at his coaching methods

95% of the time it's the system/organisation that's the problem, not the people with in it

This bullshit starts at the top of the club, that needs to change now, no matter what they've done in the past, they've taken the club as far as they can and need to leave,

They lost the trust, once that's gone there is no way back

• Like 11
  • Flames 4
  • Facepalm 1

Just skimread the article, apparently Manning has made 3.27 changes per game on average.

That's mad, individual tweaks sure, almost 30% of the team each week..no.

Hopefully wrong but it feels like to a degree, he is throwing a lot of mud around and hoping something will stick. Isn't averse to shaking it up with substitutions either.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I know it makes little difference either way but if the youth players can't be included because of their own schedules or they're just not good enough, why not at least put Lewis Thomas on the bench?

Yes, the chance of needing a third keeper in a game in infinitely low but to choose to limit yourselves when you have an empty seat and he's there and taking part in the warmup seems peculiar. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

95% of the time it's the system/organisation that's the problem, not the people with in it

This bullshit starts at the top of the club, that needs to change now, no matter what they've done in the past, they've taken the club as far as they can and need to leave,

As the saying goes “a fish rots from the head down”…

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Taking your first point , Piercy actually says the opposite ;

For all the conspiracy theories about lost dressing rooms and a disenchanted squad, as we understand that is abundantly not true. 

I think they may be struggling with the amount of information he gives them, and getting it to work during a game. It doesn't look natural and there is little room for off the cuff play. 

The number of changes, the switch to a 3/5 and back to a 4 while trying to impose his playing ideas is never going to be a smooth ride and he is obviously going about it the wrong way.

From Manning up I think they have lost a lot of trust, specially from the fans.
The Lansdowns' aren't going to leave any time soon , they need to get a grip on things though. Appoint a real CEO , a real DoF would be good and a new manager would be nice. Of those I think the manager is the most likely as Nepotism and mate-ism runs deep in this Club.
It takes a lot for me to leave early , but I heard their winning cheer as I got to the Bus stop.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Lost the players trust? Well that’s not what James thinks in the article:

For all the conspiracy theories about lost dressing rooms and a disenchanted squad, as we understand that is abundantly not true.

edit -Apols previous post says much the same

Edited by steveybadger

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just skimread the article, apparently Manning has made 3.27 changes per game on average.

That's mad, individual tweaks sure, almost 30% of the team each week..no.

Hopefully wrong but it feels like to a degree, he is throwing a lot of mud around and hoping something will stick. Isn't averse to shaking it up with substitutions either.

Yes it certainly appears to be a weekly swap, of like for like players and the problem with that is, players don’t really get to own their positions.
 I know you want competition for places in games, but players don’t even seem to be rewarded, by previously playing well. 
   If you have a pretty good idea you’re going to be hooked after an hour no matter what, Conway and Wells particularly how is any real feeling of confidence to grow. 

I think Piercy’s right. It was by no means the worst performance we’ve seen, but players looked stuck. It’s hard to see any other reason for player’s looking dull and uninspired, than their being restricted to play a system that offers nothing.
  As I’ve said in another thread. I think it’s very telling, the arguments between players, we’ve not seen that before, even during the low times during NPs tenure and it makes me wonder if fear of being singled out for blame, by a manager who looks to blame his players for defeats, is partly behind it.  
 To me players getting angry also means they care, which makes this whole situation for them and us all the more frustrating. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Taking your first point , Piercy actually says the opposite ;

For all the conspiracy theories about lost dressing rooms and a disenchanted squad, as we understand that is abundantly not true

But from where does he get this information?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Hmmm. I think the management would be the last to know if I was a player and had lost confidence in them. I’d be keeping my head down and just hoping I could convince everyone everything was fine. 
  If and I repeat if players are getting frustrated and we can see some most definitely are, it’s only a matter of time before they look to someone to blame, especially if they get wind of the fact they themselves are being blamed. 

• Confused 1

I wouldn’t say he’s ’lost’ them in terms of them hating him, giving up and trying to get him sacked. And I’d imagine that’s actually very rare in professional football. We possibly witnessed this at the tail end of Gary Johnson’s time here, but I can’t think of any other examples.

What is surely obvious to everyone watching however is they have clearly had any passion, aggression and imagination sucked out of them. They look like the shells of professional footballers. All sticking to set plan of sterile bullshit football. All scared to do something ambitious in case it doesn’t come off.

Nothing happens at pace, it’s as if you’re watching a training routine being jogged through rather than an actual game.

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I wouldn’t say he’s ’lost’ them in terms of them hating him, giving up and trying to get him sacked. And I’d imagine that’s actually very rare in professional football.

What is surely obvious to everyone watching however is they have clearly had any passion, aggression and imagination sucked out of them. They look like the shells of professional footballers. All sticking to set plan of sterile bullshit football. All scared to do something ambitious in case it doesn’t come off.

Nothing happens at pace, it’s as if you’re watching a training routine being jogged through rather than an actual game.

We’re a mirror image of are manager, slightly robotic with no character.

• Like 7

I think what you have to remember that even if Manning has lost the dressing room, Piercy is never going to say it. If he does, it pretty much says Manning is done - and putting such an article out would probably cease all Bristol Post access for the future.

The key thing is how the quote is phrased: “We understand this is abundantly not true”

From a journalistic point of view it’s saying that JP has been told this is the case - but the truth, as seen in players demeanour and on the pitch, may well be different

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Hmmm. I think the management would be the last to know if I was a player and had lost confidence in them. I’d be keeping my head down and just hoping I could convince everyone everything was fine. 

James Piercy wrote the article 

22 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

But from where does he get this information?

I guess he talks to players fairly regularly . 

33 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

edit -Apols previous post says much the same

The finger pointing and arguing amongst themselves says otherwise.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JP Hampton said:

Yes and?

As James was quoted in your reply where you said if you were a player you'd keep your head down.  I thought you might have thought it was Matty James , at least I read it that way.

15 minutes ago, West Hill Red said:

Mr Manning couldn't have picked a worse set of fans for his brand of football!

I mean I’m not sure what brand this is? And if you are going to change an entire philosophy do it gradually and don’t mess up what was going well. 

• Like 2

Excellent article and summed up what our group of season ticket holders were discussing.

No one had a bad game, Knight is a very good player, just not in that position, we are desperately missing Twine / creative player, as it been said we are generally OK to we get to the final 1/3 and lack creativity. Players seem to be bickering and not together, but maybe just part of bad results and not a internal bust up.

also

Wet greasy pitch, need to have plenty of long shots that can get easily spilled

For all the talk of Conway not being given any ball, it was p1ss poor to be off side for the tap in when he had the whole line to look along

When LM first came in we were having lots of shots, but this has dried up and the ones we have had been low quality

Happy to go back to a 4 at the back

Ipswich we are just a likely to win or end in a heavy defeat

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Using an u18s FAYC is a weak excuse.  There are players in the u21s that aren’t qualified for the 18s, so they could play / be in the bench.  Now if he’d said, there’s an u21 game this week, then that would make more sense.  There isn’t though!  Go figure.

Excuses!

55 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I wouldn’t say he’s ’lost’ them in terms of them hating him, giving up and trying to get him sacked. And I’d imagine that’s actually very rare in professional football. We possibly witnessed this at the tail end of Gary Johnson’s time here, but I can’t think of any other examples.

Yep, there instincts have been replaced by “where should I be now”.

Thankfully they are good pros, it would be really awful otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think what you have to remember that even if Manning has lost the dressing room, Piercy is never going to say it. If he does, it pretty much says Manning is done - and putting such an article out would probably cease all Bristol Post access for the future.

The key thing is how the quote is phrased: “We understand this is abundantly not true”

From a journalistic point of view it’s saying that JP has been told this is the case - but the truth, as seen in players demeanour and on the pitch, may well be different

Spot on I reckon.

Piercy has to be diplomatic but whether dressing room lost or not the players seem pissy and no longer united.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Tinnion's last game at Swansea and Millen's at Blackpool. You'd struggle to find two more obvious examples of players chucking the towel in to get a manager out.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As James was quoted in your reply where you said if you were a player you'd keep your head down.  I thought you might have thought it was Matty James , at least I read it that way.

I quoted your quote you mentioned James as in James Piercy. I didn’t write the name James. 
Anyway clearly a misunderstanding. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Spot on I reckon.

Piercy has to be diplomatic but whether dressing room lost or not the players seem pissy and no longer united.

There is a lot more pointing , blaming and general frustration, which I get to a point. But it's something we haven't seen for some time, what ever the results have been.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There is a lot more pointing , blaming and general frustration, which I get to a point. But it's something we haven't seen for some time, what ever the results have been.

Agreed.

When you have an average bunch of players, togetherness goes a long way.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:
2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Agreed.

When you have an average bunch of players, togetherness goes a long way.

And as I’ve said previously, I don’t remember seeing this, in fighting, even when we were losing games under NP?