IGNORED

Goal Kicks

I know this is the least of our problems right now, but what is going on with our goal kicks?

Twice yesterday Max passed it along the six yard line (I think) to Dickie who simply side footed it back to Max!

No other players were making runs. Is this to fulfil the playing it out from the back target (before Max plays it out of the pitch)?

Is there a tactical reason?

Is it the same as our midfield receiving the ball and then playing it straight back to the original passer? I think King did this a few times ?

I get you might want to do this when winning but this was when we needed a goal!

• Like 1

If someone would like too correct me. But I believe it's to create space slightly further up the pitch.  

Goalkeeper play it to the full back. The attacker or attackers close down the ball, it's played back to the goalkeeper who can then play it into the space created behind the attackers.

However not all teams close down the full back having become wise to it and it leads to boring boring Manning football with the ball passed from side to to side along the back.

That's how I see it. If someone would like too correct me please feel free. Every day is a school day.

MANNING OUT 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, CS Red said:

If someone would like too correct me. But I believe it's to create space slightly further up the pitch.  

This was the original intention behind this goal kick routine. However, virtually every team in England has sussed this now and so it doesn’t work anymore. Especially if your keeper’s kicking is a tad inconsistent.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I know this is the least of our problems right now, but what is going on with our goal kicks?

Twice yesterday Max passed it along the six yard line (I think) to Dickie who simply side footed it back to Max!

No other players were making runs. Is this to fulfil the playing it out from the back target (before Max plays it out of the pitch)?

Is there a tactical reason?

Is it the same as our midfield receiving the ball and then playing it straight back to the original passer? I think King did this a few times ?

I get you might want to do this when winning but this was when we needed a goal!

It's text book 2024 football. 

You're more likely to score/control the game if you have the ball. If you hoof the ball up to nakhi the chance of keeping possession and scoring drops massively 

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I watched the first half of the Man utd game against Man City,it seemed the Man Utd goaly must doing more "kick the ball straight up the field"

Any one else notice?

The commentators did, made a mention of it, something along the lines of you hardly ever see full on hoof it goal kicks in the Premier League any more

Edited by richwwtk

There was a crazy moment in second half where Max and Dickie, both under no pressure, took an age to decide how to bring the ball out, Dickie then promptly gave it away, we had a yellow card for a cynical foul and conceded a dangerous free kick just outside the D. It was astonishingly bad. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

You're more likely to score/control the game if you have the ball. If you hoof the ball up to nakhi the chance of keeping possession and scoring drops massively 

Conversely, it slows our game down even more, tasking us with playing through the entire opposition team which unless you have players who can turn or beat their man (which we don't!) is infinitely more difficult than winning a second ball higher up the field.

It's a scary thought that kicking it long every now and then would statistically yield even less than our pathetic 39 league goals!

Most of our goals to my knowledge have come from winning the ball up high with a quick transition or a set piece/high ball into the box.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Welcome to 2024 and the obsession with tippy tappy football. 

It’s a waste of time, as we pass it sideways in defence, before an aimless HOOF down the channel. 

Liam Manning / SOD 

Liam saw it on match of the day so he had to adopt it.

18 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Yet our chances of scoring in a game are pretty much **** all whatever we do. If you constantly have the ball in your own third of the pitch you also have **** all chance of scoring. If you constantly re-set every 30 seconds back to your centre half or goalkeeper you also have **** all chance of scoring. I don't call it Bore Ball for nothing..............

• Like 1

You'll see Ipswich do it tomorrow. But their players aren't afraid to play in tight spaces at the back and invite pressure to play around it and leave players like Chaplin/Taylor in free gaps in the middle or Davis/Clarke at full backs to then play forward.

They don't hoof it long often because their set up is good enough with the wide players dropping inside to offer options too.

Other teams don't play like that for the sake of it like we try to do. They do it for a reason. We try it because "it's the way to play". 

Manningball unite. Zzz.

20 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Its the only dead ball where a team gets more than ten metres of space. 

Opportunity and more time to make decisions. Decisions that can be positive, negative and ...

20 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

(Max plays it out of the pitch)?

There is a decision there.