IGNORED

Ipswich Town away match thread

Clearly missing the controlled, reliable presence of matty james in the middle at times. But besides a few stray passes a very disciplined and structured defensive performance first half. 

Thought both Harry and Anis did good to drive when they got the ball whilst tracking well to hold up Davies and Hutchinson. Still need someone with some composure in the final third to unlock something though! 

We’ve played pretty damn well there to contain Ipswich to next to nothing going forward.

Not too much going forward for us either and playing Mehmeti is like playing with 10. The amount of running that Knight does is insane.

Most importantly I think that half demonstrates that Manning has definitely not lost the dressing room.

Edited by Cardy
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Naughty foot left on him. You can see why he was slightly incensed..

With VAR Morsy’s challenge is a yellow at least.

Sort of player he is, hope Williams keeps his head & only nails him legally.

• Like 1

Similar to the home game against them, decent performance off the ball, pinching it well.

Gotta be more brave when we get the chance to get forward. Showing them too much respect, it's a winnable game.

It's okay to play it back to keep possession and kill the opponents momentum, but it shouldn't be our whole identity. 

We aren't good enough to break teams down from the back, just losing the ball constantly when we play out. 

Tidy for 30 minutes or so, then we gave away the ball stupidly too many times; midfield's passing was not bad, a few sparks going forward, decent overall.

Cornick our best player so far,  McCrorie not enough concentrated, Williams too nervous.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's probably worth pointing out that Ipswich are pressing us pretty well to limit our ability to play out. 

I was much more annoyed v Cardiff when Dickie and Vyner were ignoring easy passing lanes and taking an extra touch.

You can tell that they play with the same strong philosophy and mentality each and every week, the midfielders just know what to do. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mozo said:

A good half. Nothing spectacular but nothing like the drubbing everyone was expecting. As an away team playing a top side in the division you've got to be positive about that half.

Just waiting for my Hladky headrush!!!

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

With VAR Morsy’s challenge is a yellow at least.

Sort of player he is, hope Williams keeps his head & only nails him legally.

I know he can lose his head, but I think he’s more than capable of a legal looking payback challenge. Going to be interesting watching that little match up in the 2nd half

• Like 1

Interesting listening to the Ipswich TV commentary. They think we are tactically astute and without saying it, pretty much thought their captain was lucky not to get sent off for the tackle against Williams. 

For what it’s worth, I thought the first half was a decent performance. Well organised and hard to breakdown, but sloppy at times. We are so weak down the left. My god we need Twine back don’t we. That really is our weak link. Seriously excited about seeing Max Bird play for us. We all know what we are like in the second half though

• Like 2

Not sure how I feel about the first half.

Firstly, if I Take it for what it is - 23rd in the form table against a promotion chasing team with 5 wins in a row - then you have to give credit it’s going better than many of us expected. It’s not a bad performance and it’s what many of us wanted to see: work rate and effort is definitely there.

Defensively strong, fairly good shape and largely nullifying Ipswich. They’ve had a bit of luck on the wings, but tbh Max has probably been troubled more by our own defence’s couple of poor back passes than by them.

Now to be negative. It’s an absolute snore fest - from both teams. On the ball, we’re doing nothing. Pass pass pass lose it. Our front three have worked a couple of balls into the box (and pounced on a mistake at the end there) but nothing really of note.

I’ve seen Ipswich twice now, and I hesitate saying this at HT, but there’s nothing special about them. They’re well organised, dogged and combatitive, but there’s no “flair” or excitement about them.

They’d have a lot to do to avoid being next years Sheff Utd.

• Like 1

I think we have played ok , bit careless with the ball at times but the lack of movement makes it difficult.
Williams and TGH trying to find space , but everyone facing back towards our goal. 
Just feels like the intent to keep the ball means we don't look for runners , not that there are many.

Mehmeti came into the game later on, Knight will always try but I still think he's more effective deeper.
Cornick been one of the best out there so far.