IGNORED

Substitutes & squad size

GrahamC

Just now, mozo said:

To be fair though Graham, Twine got injured just after he arrived so you can't blame the recruitment. If anything you should sympathise for Manning, no?

The Mebude one always felt like one that would 'if we need him', ie for pace, direct play etc. But not playing him on a losing streak when fans are booing, kind of makes sense? I actually felt the same same Yeboah would come on when we were struggling in a game, which isn't really an ideal introduction to Championship football.

Definitely unlucky with Twine.

Mebude baffles me, he looked like a competition winner v QPR then got 9 minutes v Cardiff where he offered little.

I mentioned Femi Azeez at Reading (who are selling everyone) I just can’t believe he wouldn’t have given us more as a sub option than someone we appear scared to use now.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Definitely unlucky with Twine.

Mebude baffles me, he looked like a competition winner v QPR then got 9 minutes v Cardiff where he offered little.

I mentioned Femi Azeez at Reading (who are selling everyone) I just can’t believe he wouldn’t have given us more as a sub option than someone we appear scared to use now.

The only thing I can think is Manning has heard that a previously highly thought of young kid, could be available at a knockdown price  ( no one say Diony ) . Otherwise why bring in a player , not ready to make an impact at a time we aren't flush with money and are a little short of bodies .

• Like 2

It's not too bad if most available but..not sure Cardiff's squad is all that much bigger e.g. outside of young players. Still we are a bit light.

Said it before but worth looking at the Ipswich injury ratio this year..night and day vs us, not one of their Janaury additions has had time off injured yet, Luongo and Morsy too solid albeit hithero unremarkable Championship players have played and played and played.. aren't both 30+ too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The only thing I can think is Manning has heard that a previously highly thought of young kid, could be available at a knockdown price  ( no one say Diony ) . Otherwise why bring in a player , not ready to make an impact at a time we aren't flush with money and are a little short of bodies .

Manning heard Man City Academy Player of the Year and his head was turned. What he didn’t consider was why Man City let him leave for the Belgian league, where he then achieved a total of 3 appearances since August, his only senior football experience. Talk about taking a punt!

8 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Manning heard Man City Academy Player of the Year and his head was turned. What he didn’t consider was why Man City let him leave for the Belgian league, where he then achieved a total of 3 appearances since August, his only senior football experience. Talk about taking a punt!

TBF Man City wanted him to sign a new contract. I have respect for Mebude for leaving and trying something new, but to sign a kid who can't get a game for a Club mid table in the Belgian League doesn't feel like a signing to make an impact in the Championship. 

Had a quick look on Ipswich availability on some key players, spine especially..outfield. League.

Clarke- 30 Appearances, 24 Starts.

Woolfenden- 33 Appearances, 33 Starts.

Burgess- 30 Appearances, 30 Starts.

Davis- 34 Appearances, 34 Starts.

Luongo- 34 Appearances, 29 Starts.

Morsy- 33 Appearances, 33 Starts.

Chaplin-37 Appearances, 36 Starts.

Burns- 31 Appearances, 27 Starts.

Broadhead- 31 Appearances, 24 Starts.

In a League with a lot of injuries that availability is quite remarkable no?

January signings have had near perfect availability too, compare that to Twine.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Had a quick look on Ipswich availability on some key players, spine especially..outfield. League.

Clarke- 30 Appearances, 24 Starts.

Woolfenden- 33 Appearances, 33 Starts

Burgess- 30 Appearances, 30 Starts.

Davis- 34 Appearances, 34 Starts.

Luongo- 34 Appearances, 29 Starts.

Morsy- 33 Appearances, 33 Starts

Chaplin-37 Appearances, 36 Starts

Burns- 31 Appearances, 27 Starts

Broadhead- 31 Appearances, 24 Starts.

In a League with a lot of injuries that availability is quite remarkable no?

Loan signings have had near perfect availability too, compare that to Twine.

Good medical staff? :ph34r:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh Ipswich seems a 1 in 100 season to me. Perfect storm, plenty going right- doing unbelievably well.

Run it again 100 times and you won't get as aligned an outcome in all areas..IMO.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. So much is just luck and this yet again hasn't been a lucky season imo.

I said at the start of the season that the only way we would get near playoffs with our squad is by getting a huge amount of luck both in games and with injuries, and we've not had much of the former and classic bad luck with the latter.

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

What I cannot fathom is if Twine is so far from fitness he couldn't even make a 10 minute token appearance to give us fresh legs up front, why was he on the bench?

I think he was the guy that you call if you lock yourself out of house and need someone to pick the locks. Luckily, we didn't get locked out.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’ve been looking at this & certainly think it is a factor in our form this season.

In midweek Ipswich were able to make a quadruple substitution & bring on 4 players who had a massive impact on the game.

Last week although Cardiff & ourselves were evenly matched, their bench was far stronger than ours, experienced pros like Fam & Mahlon Romeo were unused subs whereas ours is often full of kids & Andy King.

Incredibly in 10 of our 18 away games so far this season we haven’t filled the bench, we had just 7 subs at Ipswich & at Cardiff we had 8 that included 2 goalkeepers & contained only one player that had ever started a league game for us.

If you look at our January business we were unlucky with Twine but we really didn’t address this at all & as an aside whilst I understand the background to the Bird deal, surely Aldershot didn’t have the same “pull” & Josh Stokes could definitely be occupying a spot after we brought him in.

This definitely needs looking at in the summer, we have tried to run far too thin & even with injuries (& on that score we knew Atkinson & Benarous would miss most of the season at a minimum) you have to expect a couple to be missing.

Worth noting that Andi started, and made an assist, for West Brom yesterday. Still don't know why exactly he left?