IGNORED

Season Ticket Renewal!

REDOXO

Just now, Numero Uno said:

How many people do you know who "are not interested in working" that have a season ticket at the Gate? Do people who aren't interested in working exist? 100% they do and I would bet that most of us know someone in that category. Are they interested in discounted season tickets at Ashton Gate (we wouldn't be talking 70% discount and giving the thing away)? I certainly don't know anyone in that category.

What are you talking about? You obviously want an argument and I'm not going to give you one.

I just said that when I was on benefits I had to make financial sacrifices and didn't expect tax payers money to supplement my lifestyle, nothing more.

43 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m not saying they’re not. Doesn’t mean you should get discounted season tickets. Just another dumbing down woke thing to say. For every person on benefits through no fault of their own , there’s 20 lazy bastards that can’t be bothered to work . Do you think they should get discounts ? 

Do you actually believe that? Jesus. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

What are you talking about? You obviously want an argument and I'm not going to give you one.

I just said that when I was on benefits I had to make financial sacrifices and didn't expect tax payers money to supplement my lifestyle, nothing more.

No, just making a valid point.

• Flames 1

38 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I don’t really know how you work that out? Because interest rates wouldn’t have been high for all of the 25 years?

I bought my first flat in 92 for 44k, on a 14k wage. Granted interest rates were high, my payments were around £400 - £500 per month. Utilities were around £80 in total.

my niece has just bought a flat for £460k on two quite high salaries and their payments are around £1000 each for mortgage, and obviously £100s for utilities. How the hell are lower waged people, those with kids etc going to afford to buy anything these days?

I was looking into renting a flat last year, the estate agents wouldn’t consider anyone earning less than £35k a year! I’ve never earned that much in my life!

Yes, the house prices are incredibly high now, but historically, the prices have always  been driven by market forces.  If the demand is high, so are the prices, but if demand drops off due to the prices being too high, the house prices are then reduced to the point where demand is stimulated again. 

Maybe I’m some kind of outlier and my personal experiences are different than most, but I just don’t buy the narrative that the old ‘uns have it easy, as was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread.  Both our kids bought houses by their late 20’s and the vast majority of their circle of friends are also home owners.  

What I’ve also noticed is, whilst In my situation we had to make do with clapped out second hand stuff to try and furnish our house when we started out, nowadays there are plenty of young ones who seem to think that kind of stuff has to be new from the start, which we would have found impossible.

Home ownership was and is massively tough, whatever period you bought in and there are a huge number of factors involved, both historically and in the present day.

The bottom line is though, 1st time house prices wouldn’t be at such a high level now, if people weren’t still buying, though I guess a proportion of those buyers could be the buy-to-let’s, which could be keeping the market artificially high.

• Like 2

On the concession piece (and I could go chapter and verse on house prices, cost of living etc but I think that’s for the politics forum), Tottenham have removed the OAP discount from 25/26. That’s probably nothing to do with that cohorts finances and more to do with that Spurs can sell the seat without a discount.

On the benefits piece, I don’t think it’s fair/reasonable in any way to characterise all those on benefits as feckless, and I do agree that the state should support. For season tickets what this goes back to me is that benefits or not we are still in a cost of living crisis for both employed and unemployed people. And therefore the marked increase in prices, particularly in the south stand, is ridiculous.

If I break it down - if say 3000 SS season ticket holders have an average price increase of £40, that’s £120,000 more in the pot. It’s not even enough to fund the wages of I’m guessing Jamie Knight-Lebel. Yes, every little helps - but the increase will be huge for a lot of people currently and makes so little difference to the club in real terms that it’s a bitter pill to swallow.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yes, the house prices are incredibly high now, but historically, the prices have always  been driven by market forces.  If the demand is high, so are the prices, but if demand drops off due to the prices being too high, the house prices are then reduced to the point where demand is stimulated again. 

Maybe I’m some kind of outlier and my personal experiences are different than most, but I just don’t buy the narrative that the old ‘uns have it easy, as was mentioned by someone earlier in the thread.  Both our kids bought houses by their late 20’s and the vast majority of their circle of friends are also home owners.  

What I’ve also noticed is, whilst In my situation we had to make do with clapped out second hand stuff to try and furnish our house when we started out, nowadays there are plenty of young ones who seem to think that kind of stuff has to be new from the start, which we would have found impossible.

Home ownership was and is massively tough, whatever period you bought in and there are a huge number of factors involved, both historically and in the present day.

The bottom line is though, 1st time house prices wouldn’t be at such a high level now, if people weren’t still buying, though I guess a proportion of those buyers could be the buy-to-let’s, which could be keeping the market artificially high.

Yes buy to let is a massive problem, as is Air BnB (in certain areas).

Re-frame 'clapped out' as vintage and youngsters might buy it. 

Self-certificated mortgages and over borrowing, plus low interest rates, as well as an unregulated remortgaging, ruined the market-led structure. I expected a crash 20 years ago but it didn't happen. I don't know how the housing market can be rectified now? Shared ownership isn't the answer, building more houses that aren't affordable or suitable isn't the answer. It's a right royal **** up 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Disabled supporters pay the same amount as any other supporter. They are offered a free carers ticket if required 

Does that include people with learning difficulties? My brother has Down syndrome (he doesn't come to football) and sometimes we just buy him a child ticket for theatre or cinema. I wondered if the club would do the same? He would need a carer

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Does that include people with learning difficulties? My brother has Down syndrome (he doesn't come to football) and sometimes we just buy him a child ticket for theatre or cinema. I wondered if the club would do the same? He would need a carer

Is he registered as being disabled? Most places offering discounts would require to see proof of eligibility.

The club's disability liaison officer is Gareth Torpy, disabled fans can contact Gareth on 0117 963 0670 or by e-mail gareth.torpy@bristol-sport.co.uk.

it might be worth a phone call to the club

Edited by RedLionLad
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedM said:

Was that when unemployment was at a record high and there were hundreds of applicants for even the basic jobs? It's very different now with vacancies unfilled. There is of course work from home, broadband etc which there wasn't back then. Most fit and able bodied people can now do some sort of work, but unfortunately the benefits system doesn't motivate them too. Obviously there are exceptions but I personally don't see why it would be feasible to offer discounts in this case. The cost will have to be found somewhere, and everything has a cost.

Perhaps you could explain what this cost is - i.e. what extra costs the club incurs as a result of one additional supporter attending - and why you think this wouldn't be covered by the cost of a discounted season ticket.

There's been a lot of unsympathetic rubbish posted on this thread, by many posters.  Perhaps they've swallowed the "scroungers vs hard workers" line promoted by the likes of the Daily Mail and similarly vile sources.  In fact, the main reason for people of working age not being employed or actively looking for work is long-term sickness (currently around 2.7m).  Another common reason is having to care for relative(s).  Years of government neglect of both the NHS and social care is at least part of this story.

Even looking at this in cold financial terms, the answer isn't obvious because by offering lower prices to a group that, by definition, doesn't have much spare cash might lead to more tickets being sold.  In the longer term, if they keep on attending then they might be more likely to buy a full price season ticket if/when their situation improves.  But more than this, it just seems the right thing to do.  Yes the club might end up giving a small discount to some who choose not to work, but they'll also end up helping out a larger number of fans who find themselves in a financially challenging situation often through no fault of their own (and may well be facing other challenges, e.g. their own health and that of their loved ones).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

17 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

On the concession piece (and I could go chapter and verse on house prices, cost of living etc but I think that’s for the politics forum), Tottenham have removed the OAP discount from 25/26. That’s probably nothing to do with that cohorts finances and more to do with that Spurs can sell the seat without a discount.

On the benefits piece, I don’t think it’s fair/reasonable in any way to characterise all those on benefits as feckless, and I do agree that the state should support. For season tickets what this goes back to me is that benefits or not we are still in a cost of living crisis for both employed and unemployed people. And therefore the marked increase in prices, particularly in the south stand, is ridiculous.

If I break it down - if say 3000 SS season ticket holders have an average price increase of £40, that’s £120,000 more in the pot. It’s not even enough to fund the wages of I’m guessing Jamie Knight-Lebel. Yes, every little helps - but the increase will be huge for a lot of people currently and makes so little difference to the club in real terms that it’s a bitter pill to swallow.

In reality that's why the club are blase about losing a few season ticket holders and so not bothered about the reaction to the prices and clearly on the wind-up with certain marketing material issued. They (or more specifically Steve and Jon) aren't that bothered AT THE MOMENT. However if they end up losing thousands rather than hundreds of ST Holders they will panic then.............taking the piss out of a sizeable section of your fanbase, whether some club apologists think it is justified or not, is not a clever thing to do long term.

3 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Is he registered as being disabled? Most places offering discounts would require to see proof of eligibility.

The club's disability liaison officer is Gareth Torpy, disabled fans can contact Gareth on 0117 963 0670 or by e-mail gareth.torpy@bristol-sport.co.uk.

it might be worth a phone call to the club

Yes he's registered because he's got Down syndrome. Thanks for the info, I don't think he'd enjoy it nowadays. He's 61 and his eyesight is failing, and couldn't sit in the seat very well.

It's good to know though, thanks

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes buy to let is a massive problem, as is Air BnB (in certain areas).

Re-frame 'clapped out' as vintage and youngsters might buy it. 

Self-certificated mortgages and over borrowing, plus low interest rates, as well as an unregulated remortgaging, ruined the market-led structure. I expected a crash 20 years ago but it didn't happen. I don't know how the housing market can be rectified now? Shared ownership isn't the answer, building more houses that aren't affordable or suitable isn't the answer. It's a right royal **** up 

Saw your post earlier, it resonated.…my first house was £44k and I was on £13.5k.  First Time Buyer discount, fixed for 2.5 years.  The plan was if I was struggling I’d get a lodger in.  Gave up my golf club membership.  Thankfully for me by the time my fixed rate had ended, rates had come down, so I never had to pay stupid rates at any point.

@BrizzleRed and I too was grateful for second hand stuff from family, like blinds that didn’t quite fit the windows!!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Paying NI stops when you reach pensionable age.

Yes I know that bit but probably won’t make that age 😕

But if you have a drawdown pension scheme and can continue to pay AVC’s into the scheme via company salary sacrifice you can stop paying NI at 55 provided you pay enough AVCs to get your NIable earnings between the LEL and the PT.

The great thing is you still “pay” NI but at 0% contribution rate 🤓

Just now, Davefevs said:

Saw your post earlier, it resonated.…my first house was £44k and I was on £13.5k.  First Time Buyer discount, fixed for 2.5 years.  The plan was if I was struggling I’d get a lodger in.  Gave up my golf club membership.  Thankfully for me by the time my fixed rate had ended, rates had come down, so I never had to pay stupid rates at any point.

@BrizzleRed and I too was grateful for second hand stuff from family, like blinds that didn’t quite fit the windows!!

I had some old saucepans from the lady across the road, and bedding from somewhere. yes lots of scrounging for stuff and making do.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

suspect that as a country we could (mostly all) work a little harder than we currently do. Be a tad more productive. 

I mean, just take this place, Monday to Friday 9 - 5, for starters ....

But it is work for some Bristol Sport employees.  Allegedly 😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

In reality that's why the club are blase about losing a few season ticket holders and so not bothered about the reaction to the prices and clearly on the wind-up with certain marketing material issued. They (or more specifically Steve and Jon) aren't that bothered AT THE MOMENT. However if they end up losing thousands rather than hundreds of ST Holders they will panic then.............taking the piss out of a sizeable section of your fanbase, whether some club apologists think it is justified or not, is not a clever thing to do long term.

Once you lose a customer it's mighty hard to entice them back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elhombrecito said:

Do you actually believe that? Jesus. 

The figures no , I plucked them from the air . It is a fact though that there are a large number feckless in this country that can’t be bothered to get off their asses. Mainly young uns . It was on the news last week. Vast majority white British as well. This country has been a soft touch for too long . If somebody is able bodied but not looking for work then they should get nothing . The work ethic has diminished massively in modern society . 

• Like 1

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That isn't correct - what they are doing is not allowing any new OAP tickets to be sold

Those already in the OAP category are staying in it

This is because they have a very large number of their supporters in this category, so those now moving into the OAP category are expected to stay in the adult price range

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Regarding the substantial increase in the SS, I can see why the club have done it. They have gambled on people paying the £105 (?)and not bringing their kid for much of the season, so empty 'blocked' seats.

Or/ they are hoping people don't want the seat at that price which then frees it up to be sold for a POTD price of around £30 a go. 

No the seats might not be sold every match, but as they are the cheapest in the stadium for POTD they most likely will be the first to be sold. So a seat will only have to be sold around 3 or 4 times (to an adult) and it would generate the same income as a kids ST.

As for the benefits thing, I'm bored of this now and has taken the thread way off topic. I still stand by my belief that if you want anything above the human right basics then you have to work for it or fund it yourself somehow, whether that is hobbies, holidays, fancy foods, days out, whatever.

Thats my final word. If you don't agree, I'm fine with that.

• Facepalm 1