IGNORED

Season Ticket Renewal!

REDOXO

I will renew as I support Bristol City and currently I can afford a season ticket and I am able to get to the games (albeit evening matches are harder because of where I live and work). I will renew early as I want to try to win the free ticket! I still enjoy watching my team. Like pretty much every season, we’ve had some really good performances plus some poor ones so I never expect perfection. The Championship is a really good competitive league to watch. I’ve certainly seen some worse periods in our history (been watching for 50 years).  I hope Manning and the players (and Tinnion!) will be successful next season and while they are here they will have my support. I will not boo or abuse them as my view is (unsurprisingly) that negativity negatively impacts their performance - football is very much a confidence game - so doing that would be counterproductive to what I want to see (cutting my nose off to spite my face). I do feel that the way we both set up and performed especially in the first half v Swansea was influenced by some of the negativity around. I also understand that others will have their own personal reasons for not renewing and that is their choice (there have been periods in my life when I have not had a season ticket). 

• Like 3
  • Robin 3

10 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

The club really should address how KO times will be affected by the TV deal. I know someone has already broached the subject with Jerry but the club should make an announcement before people start purchasing STs

Don’t think they will know any more than EFL/Sky have published at present (as mentioned earlier on this thread). Link here:

https://efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-and-sky-sports-broadcast-rights-agreement/

Edited by eardun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thank you. I don't think a lot of people know that it could become issue though.

Yes it’s bound to have an impact. Likely that we’ll be on TV 23 times (home and away) so it will easier for people to decide to watch at home rather than attend (if they have access to Sky). As for Sat 3pm KO times changing, there is also a risk of that although we’ve already seen that on a number occasions this season so I’m not yet sure how much more of that we are talking about. I don’t think we’ll know until the fixtures are published (for the Aug to start Jan period anyway). 

• Like 1

Just now, eardun said:

Yes it’s bound to have an impact. Likely that we’ll be on TV 23 times (home and away) so it will easier for people to decide to watch at home rather than attend (if they have access to Sky). As for Sat 3pm KO times changing, there is also a risk of that although we’ve already seen that on a number occasions this season so I’m not yet sure how much more of that we are talking about. I don’t think we’ll know until the fixtures are published (for the Aug to start Jan period anyway). 

Yes but some people don't know there is a TV deal (I'd completely forgotten about it until it was mentioned on here)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eardun said:

The obvious point there is away attendance will almost certainly be hit. Something else clubs need to factor in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The obvious point there is away attendance will almost certainly be hit. Something else clubs need to factor in.

Putting aside City specific, EFL are clearly relatively confident that it won't notably hit attendances. We'll see..

Screenshot_20240315-130143_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4569e7992df35da302406ffbeeebf1ce.jpg

Hopefully the above is correct but if it isn't, then the TV deal on the face of it, doesn't seem a great uplift set against the possible disruption.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Putting aside City specific, EFL are clearly relatively confident that it won't notably hit attendances. We'll see..

Screenshot_20240315-130143_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4569e7992df35da302406ffbeeebf1ce.jpg

Hopefully the above is correct but if it isn't, then the TV deal on the face of it, doesn't seem a great uplift set against the possible disruption.

But the EFL are full of shit, of course they are going to say that. I don't really believe the spin. As you say, we'll see…

Surely it will impact children going? Unless of a certain age (for Friday nights), Monday night is a school night, plus those who play on a Sunday? 

Friday and Monday will most likely be a no go for me. 

Edited by exAtyeoMax
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Why should people on benefits get discounted tickets? Isn't football a hobby? No matter how you sugar coat this it's not a necessity.

Benefits from my understanding should only cover basic needs, food, warmth, transport. Not fags, booze, drugs, betting and Sky TV, and now football???!!! If people on benefits want those things they work for them or save up like everyone else!

Blimey. I was asked directly how we can make it affordable for those who need financial support to enable them attend. It was just a suggestion.

Not everyone is on benefits by choice. It seems you are pandering to the Daily Mail trope that anyone on benefits is lazy and spend it all on booze and fags. Many are disabled and unable to work. Many have learning difficulties. Some have had to give up work to become a carer. Others have suffered mental trauma. Are you saying we should do NOTHING to make football more accessible to such people?

I have already argued on this thread against OAP discount as an outdated notion based on wealth distribution across the UK. There are no easy answers, but I was simply arguing for a way to make football accessible to as many people as possible, based on need rather than crude age-based discount. You might not like the suggestion, but I stand by that as well intentioned, and your attack is completely disproportionate and unnecessary.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes I’m expecting it to have an impact - unless of course we are pushing for promotion! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well the efl would say that wouldnt they..

Edited by Natchfever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eardun said:

I will renew as I support Bristol City and currently I can afford a season ticket and I am able to get to the games (albeit evening matches are harder because of where I live and work). I will renew early as I want to try to win the free ticket! I still enjoy watching my team. Like pretty much every season, we’ve had some really good performances plus some poor ones so I never expect perfection. The Championship is a really good competitive league to watch. I’ve certainly seen some worse periods in our history (been watching for 50 years).  I hope Manning and the players (and Tinnion!) will be successful next season and while they are here they will have my support. I will not boo or abuse them as my view is (unsurprisingly) that negativity negatively impacts their performance - football is very much a confidence game - so doing that would be counterproductive to what I want to see (cutting my nose off to spite my face). I do feel that the way we both set up and performed especially in the first half v Swansea was influenced by some of the negativity around. I also understand that others will have their own personal reasons for not renewing and that is their choice (there have been periods in my life when I have not had a season ticket). 

negativity negatively”

Fair play for using those two words consecutively in a post.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I do concur with you all, they're hardly going to say otherwise.

Let's hope it is correct but my main point was, is the financial recompense worth the potential disruption? I'm not sure. £2-2.5m for a Championship club if that is what they mean by a 50% uplift.

What do they mean by that? How does it work out for L1 & L2

Do people actually want to watch? 

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Blimey. I was asked directly how we can make it affordable for those who need financial support to enable them attend. It was just a suggestion.

Not everyone is on benefits by choice. It seems you are pandering to the Daily Mail trope that anyone on benefits is lazy and spend it all on booze and fags. Many are disabled and unable to work. Many have learning difficulties. Some have had to give up work to become a carer. Others have suffered mental trauma. Are you saying we should do NOTHING to make football more accessible to such people?

I have already argued on this thread against OAP discount as an outdated notion based on wealth distribution across the UK. There are no easy answers, but I was simply arguing for a way to make football accessible to as many people as possible, based on need rather than crude age-based discount. You might not like the suggestion, but I stand by that as well intentioned, and your attack is completely disproportionate and unnecessary.

Great Post 

The reason I've not been to AG in 6 years is the removal (and shameful way they tried to remove it) of lower rates for disabled fans. I appreciate that disability is a very broad brush, and many who qualify for that rate choose to not take it, especially if they are still able to work. However if you are unable to work, and rely on the state or family, you should get a reduced rate.

If you asked everyone at AG to describe football in one word, I'm sure the word 'family' would feature highly. It is that idea of family, and belonging, which means we should make AG as inclusive as possible, not an exclusive club for Jacks.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Your response to this is a LAUGH emoji @RedM?! Seriously? You think that’s a grown up and appropriate response to the points being made?

Good grief.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Great Post 

The reason I've not been to AG in 6 years is the removal (and shameful way they tried to remove it) of lower rates for disabled fans. I appreciate that disability is a very broad brush, and many who qualify for that rate choose to not take it, especially if they are still able to work. However if you are unable to work, and rely on the state or family, you should get a reduced rate.

If you asked everyone at AG to describe football in one word, I'm sure the word 'family' would feature highly. It is that idea of family, and belonging, which means we should make AG as inclusive as possible, not an exclusive club for Jacks.

I wasn’t aware there was no discount for the disabled, that’s very disappointing.

It says so much about our country that giving a discount based solely on age, to statistically the wealthiest age group in society, is just accepted without question. But the well intentioned idea of trying to balance discounts across the fanbase based on need is met with outrage and lazy tropes about booze and fags. The Daily Mail has a lot to answer for.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wasn’t aware there was no discount for the disabled, that’s very disappointing.

It says so much about our country that giving a discount based solely on age, to statistically the wealthiest age group in society, is just accepted without question. But the well intentioned idea of trying to balance discounts across the fanbase based on need is met with outrage and lazy tropes about booze and fags. The Daily Mail has a lot to answer for.

Didn't Ashton take it away when they "forced" children up to the Lansdown?

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thank you. I don't think a lot of people know that it could become issue though.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes but some people don't know there is a TV deal (I'd completely forgotten about it until it was mentioned on here)

I think it was your tweet to City that I piggy-backed on with a couple of screenshots of the TV deal FAQs.

I think it’s remiss of the club to not mention the tv deal.  I appreciate it’s probably not in their best interests as I’m sure some would factor this into their decision to purchase, but would’ve been good PR / could’ve been spun to their advantage.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

What do they mean by that? How does it work out for L1 & L2

Do people actually want to watch? 

Not looked into it as much as so many FFP stories in recent months but yeah based on the reporting what clubs get in the basic award now ie I assume TV Revenue plus Central Awards will be 50% higher, yes it'll be split as per the division.

That is where I get my rough £2-2.5m uplift extrapolation per Championship club from.

Not sure of the distribution in L1 and 2 but presumably the rising tide will lift their boats too, by the same %.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1