IGNORED

Cornick I do not get it

Redminer

I cannot see how he plays for BCFC. Unless I'm missing something he offers nothing. If he has time to think he never delivers, cannot head, cannot win a ball and passing in general is woeful. Today I watch in disbelief and the guys on the bench must think what have I done wrong to be behind him. I never like to single people out but I'm sorry I cannot see how he's stealing a living from us.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Redminer said:

I cannot see how he plays for BCFC. Unless I'm missing something he offers nothing. If he has time to think he never delivers, cannot head, cannot win a ball and passing in general is woeful. Today I watch in disbelief and the guys on the bench must think what have I done wrong to be behind him. I never like to single people out but I'm sorry I cannot see how he's stealing a living from us.......

True, you don’t. But you’ve started two threads in your time on OTIB and the other was…ummm…

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

10 minutes ago, Redminer said:

Also appears to be unable to assess where to position himself as a blocker. Their left back was just behind their winger, when they had possession, yet Cornick positioned himself higher than that line and gave the full back as an out every time the ball came out on the left side of their defence.

He was poor today but one of our better players in midweek.

If we can find a taker I won’t be surprised if he moves on in the summer but someone has to offer him similar money for that to happen.

• Like 5

Signed on the back of a solid few seasons at Luton, where he played upfront, alongside a “big man” 

Came here, and has been lumbered out wide, and never given a run through the middle, as a 2. 

Not defending his performances, BUT it’s like signing Kal Naismith who’s been exceptional as a left sided Center back and playing him in a 2….oh wait  I’ll get my coat  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Dante you ain't wrong my other post was about him, but that doesn't mean I'm on a witch hunt. Nothing more than I see him as sub standard for a city player in my opinion. I stand by all our players week in and and week out home and sometimes away. I wish he was good but for all our sake but for me he weakens us more often than not when he's on the pitch. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redminer said:

Dante you ain't wrong my other post was about him, but that doesn't mean I'm on a witch hunt. Nothing more than I see him as sub standard for a city player in my opinion. I stand by all our players week in and and week out home and sometimes away. I wish he was good but for all our sake but for me he weakens us more often than not when he's on the pitch. 

He's played much better than today.

But what if he was deployed alongside TC, and Knight reverted to midfield?

Then we'd prolly need to tinker a bit and start Sykes yadda yadda yadda, but is it an impossible ask to play players in positions that utilise then properly?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Redminer said:

Said it on another thread but he is what you get when you give a manager peanuts to spend. 

You could argue that for the money we paid his CV and particularly at this level was fairly decent. 

Obviously not worked out for him here thus far admittedly however you can certainly see why Pearson took a punt on him especially when the board backed him into a corner with such limited funds to spend.

• Like 4

I have not been impressed previously , when he first came in I was quite loud in questioning his place in the team. But recently he has been good. He started changing my mind with some really good performances from the bench. Not stunning play maybe, but important niggley efforts where he upset the opposition . Then in the last couple of starts he has looked good, I was disappointed he had to come off the other day, how things have changed. Today he was poor, but he wasn't the only one . Because of his recent efforts I was happy to cut him some slack, which I didn't think I would a while back.  Just never got going , or couldn't get into the game today. 
Still bags more effort than Mehmeti .

Poor today and poor nearly every game since the board were persuaded to spend money on him - we all know who did that. Te same person who wanted that Wizzard from Wycombe who was going to make all the difference by being such a maverick - think those were Pearson's words. Both have failed but both played ok at Ipswich and Anis did as much or more than any other forward player today , so who knows. Next season we have bird and Stokes to come in and presumably some money for Liam so build his attacking team around Twine. As has been said many times, what LM inherited as a striking threat was so light weight. Reinforcements already lined up so August should be more entertaining.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

He's played much better than today.

But what if he was deployed alongside TC, and Knight reverted to midfield?

Then we'd prolly need to tinker a bit and start Sykes yadda yadda yadda, but is it an impossible ask to play players in positions that utilise then properly?

You could say that about quite a few of our players at the moment who are being played out of position and therefore struggling. As much as the style that Manning wants to play doesn’t suit the players, you could say that is also in large part part down to the formation that he sets up. Play Cornick with Conway or play Wells with Conway. in fact plsy any striker with Conway but not Jason Knight!

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Cole Not Gas said:

Poor today and poor nearly every game since the board were persuaded to spend money on him - we all know who did that. Te same person who wanted that Wizzard from Wycombe who was going to make all the difference by being such a maverick - think those were Pearson's words. Both have failed but both played ok at Ipswich and Anis did as much or more than any other forward player today , so who knows. Next season we have bird and Stokes to come in and presumably some money for Liam so build his attacking team around Twine. As has been said many times, what LM inherited as a striking threat was so light weight. Reinforcements already lined up so August should be more entertaining.

You really think Burnley will sell us Twine when they are relegated back to this division? Think again. Either that or they will want many millions, which given what he has contributed so far, you would also have to question.

19 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Still bags more effort than Mehmeti .

Mehmeti was still breaking forward in the 90th minute - you might criticise his decision making, but not effort.

As for Cornick I hoped it was confidence but having scored an excellent goal vs Saints, he is shot of it - the opportunity in the first half from the poor backpass needed a shot and he simply squared it without looking- unforgivable at this level.

And I’m ignoring the attempt at a cross later in the half. I’m not sure we can explain this away saying he was carrying a knock!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Mehmeti was still breaking forward in the 90th minute - you might criticise his decision making, but not effort.

As for Cornick I hoped it was confidence but having scored an excellent goal vs Saints, he is shot of it - the opportunity in the first half from the poor backpass needed a shot and he simply squared it without looking- unforgivable at this level.

And I’m ignoring the attempt at a cross later in the half. I’m not sure we can explain this away saying he was carrying a knock!

Not up to the standard required.....

A wage better spent elsewhere, but who will take him off our hands???

Only one place I can think of.... 🙂

I will say with great confidence that he would be an absolute nightmare to play against. I understand that he’s not had the most prolific of times here, but I don’t think he’s been utilised to his strengths, or had the people/formation around him that utilise his strengths.

I defended Chris Martin for the same reasons. The difference was, he had Weimann and Semenyo around him to benefit from the ugly stuff he was doing.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Pearson signed him as a squad player because we were short on numbers, but he rated him as effective to change things from the bench as he "makes things happen"

As with all signings under the current regime, NP was told you have £300k to spend on a forward and here are a few options in that bracket. Cornick was decent for Luton, but he ain’t the first striker to rock up at cosy Ashton Gate and regress, as a few of the current squad have under Manning. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Best time on left of a front 3 while at Luton. Think still carrying a knock today. 

His 45 minutes at Middlesbrough where he played on the left of three was by far his best performance this season, cutting inside on to his right he looked dangerous every time he had the ball. Perhaps there is something i don't see but why for the life of me does Manning , that one game apart, continually play him on the right where he is generally inaffective.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

You really think Burnley will sell us Twine when they are relegated back to this division? Think again. Either that or they will want many millions, which given what he has contributed so far, you would also have to question.

Agreed, I wouldn’t be busting to spend millions on twine at this point,,, shame, he was obviously the one the manning wanted, and lots of us did too, who knows how we might look now if he had been fit for the last month or 2!

4 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I will say with great confidence that he would be an absolute nightmare to play against. 

I think Swansea quite enjoyed playing against him yesterday - particularly as he gave them the ball so frequently. 

Yesterday was HC at his very worst. But of course playing wide and behind a front two is not his strength.

• Like 1

I do often struggle to see what he brings to the team. He has sproadic periods of good play (his goal against Southampton strongly suggests he has something in his locker).....more often than not (like Sat) he is anonymous. 

Clearly the coaching team are seeing something in him that we don't. For the life of me....I'll keep squinting to see if I can see it...

Edited by MelksRed