IGNORED

Arsenal v Porto

frenchred

I really hope the 3 Stooges watched tonight. Not the game but Rio Ferdinand at the end. Talking about a togetherness between club, players and fans at Arsenal and how you can never underestimate the collective force it is. He's never known it before but it's now noticeable how together everyone is.

Oh what could have been, I don't mean champions league

What have you done? Why?

Arsenal got it right with a brilliant Dir of Football in Edu and a manager who has galvanised the club. They will win the PL this season for sure, together and intense to watch. Best defence too, all this rubbish about them bottling it, they had some key injuries last season and Man C are not as good this year. 

• Hmmm 1

I think Arsenal are a poor comparison if the aim is to point out flaws in the club’s approach.

They appointed an ex player as Technical Director and then got rid of an experienced manager who had done well elsewhere to replace him with someone with coaching qualifications and back room experience but without comparable first team managerial experience. The fans did not take immediately but ultimately he won them over.

Arsenal may well be Mario to our Wario but ultimately they are an example our board and technical director could point to and say justifies their decision making and belief that Manning will prove us all wrong.

I don’t agree with that but trying to use Arsenal as evidence of our board’s fallacies feels like a mistake as they could just as easily be used to justify the board’s thinking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Good point. His first two seasons he finished 8th as well. Would us as a fanbase give an untried manager a third season after that?  Not sure we would. 

We’re not talking 8th from the bottom though are we…

7 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think Arsenal are a poor comparison if the aim is to point out flaws in the club’s approach.

They appointed an ex player as Technical Director and then got rid of an experienced manager who had done well elsewhere to replace him with someone with coaching qualifications and back room experience but without comparable first team managerial experience. The fans did not take immediately but ultimately he won them over.

Arsenal may well be Mario to our Wario but ultimately they are an example our board and technical director could point to and say justifies their decision making and belief that Manning will prove us all wrong.

I don’t agree with that but trying to use Arsenal as evidence of our board’s fallacies feels like a mistake as they could just as easily be used to justify the board’s thinking.

I was about to write exactly the same thing, so thanks for saving me 5 minutes. The fans wanted him out after the first season, but after being given time to implement his way of playing etc….. You know the rest.

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The point I was trying to make (maybe not very well) was how togetherness plays a part

We had it and didn't need to destroy it and now try and develop it again.

I only mentioned the game last night as it seemed apt that Ferdinand made a big deal about it

1 hour ago, Tim Monaghan said:

I was about to write exactly the same thing, so thanks for saving me 5 minutes. The fans wanted him out after the first season, but after being given time to implement his way of playing etc….. You know the rest.

Missing the actual point (again)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Arsenal got it right with a brilliant Dir of Football in Edu and a manager who has galvanised the club. They will win the PL this season for sure, together and intense to watch. Best defence too, all this rubbish about them bottling it, they had some key injuries last season and Man C are not as good this year. 

I wish I could share your optimism, I am really fond of Arsenal, I guess you could say they are my second team- but I have a horrible feeling they will Lose next up at the Etihad and that could be a psychological blow early in the run in.

They are very good to watch though, that pass to set trosaard up last night was sublime.

9 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

No idea how you can be so sure especially when there are 2 other teams competing and one of them is Man City. I think Arsenal have the toughest run in, I would give them more chance actually if they went out last night.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Good point. His first two seasons he finished 8th as well. Would us as a fanbase give an untried manager a third season after that?  Not sure we would. 

I think being an ex player and coming in after an unpopular one would have helped .

Plus they won a trophy not long after Arteta got the job .

And Arsenal have improved year on year .

Test now is to keep that momentum going .