IGNORED

Malta

Big Red Rich

Hi BRR.

I've been a few times, fags were very cheap, but it wasn't in the EEC then, I don't know if it now. Food and drink are quite cheap as well, as long as you like CISK lager or pale ale (now what's an anagram of CISK?). Some bars sold Woodpecker cider :)

If you go early in the new year, it'll probably be quite quiet as you'll be in the off season. I've been told April's a good time to go, because it's the only time of year when the island greens up.

I went there last year. If you like to dabble with scuba diving then Malta and the adjacent island Gozo are superb. To be honest, I wouldn't go back there. Not that there is anything wrong with it, just that it is one of those places where once you have done everything it has to offer there isn't really much to tempt you back. It has these bizarre, brightly coloured buses zipping about the island that have been kept running since decades ago and are one of the islands trademarks. Everything was pretty cheap there and the staple grub is rabbit (didn't fancy it myself, kept picturing the missus' rabbit back home and got a pang of guilt). It has a very strong Catholic community and there are apparently 365 catholic churches on the island (1 for each day of the year they say). The island is a bit of a building site, something to do with tax avoidance and leaving buildings unfinished apparently so isn't the pretiest you'll see. A bit of history regarding it's role in the second world war and the ancient walled city Valetta are worth a look. There's also a catamaran that goes across to Sicily that is probably worth doing while you are out there if your stomach can stand 90 minutes of being hurled about. The locals were polite without ever being friendly and all spoke English pretty well.

If you are looking for big nights out every night then I would advise against Malta though. It does have a party district but it isn't exactly jumping except on weekends.

Hope that helps.

Archived