IGNORED

Larry Lloyd - RIP

Davefevs

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Former Bristol Boy has passed away.

I posted on a thread in the ‘General’ forum how the Bristolian, ex Liverpool centre back had passed away.

Isn’t it funny how people’s memories work.

For me, Larry Lloyd was the ex Bristol Rovers player who signed for Bob Shankly’s Liverpool.

Nevertheless, I am sure most people probably remember him as the Nottingham Forest centre back, who won the European Cup.

Was he just a little bit before your time following Liverpool?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Former Bristol Boy has passed away.

I posted on a thread in the ‘General’ forum how the Bristolian, ex Liverpool centre back had passed away.

For me, Larry Lloyd was the ex Bristol Rovers player who signed for Bob Shankly’s Liverpool.

Nevertheless, I am sure most people probably remember him as the Nottingham Forest centre back, who won the European Cup.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Was he just a little bit before your time following Liverpool?

Not weird. I always think of the Gas and Liverpool when thinking of Larry Lloyd. Actually forgot he played for Forest.

Little known fact. His brother was a Bristol copper.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

He played in that cup replay I mentioned in 68 on another thread, we wo 2-1.

Him and Stuart Taylor were known as the Twin Towers !

Stuart Taylor was a real gentleman.

I never met Larry Lloyd, but I met Stuart Taylor several times and, together with Graham Day, another Rovers centre back stalwart who I knew quite well, they were both really nice men.

Sadly, all three of the aforementioned Rovers centre backs have now passed away. 

I saw Larry play for Rovers, I think against City in the FA cup mentioned in a very recent thread. He came from the Manor Farm area near Horfield common.

I met his brother several times when I lived in Shrewsbury. He had a pub just a minutes walk from the Gay Meadow and as I went to Shrews games when they didn't clash with City's, I'd go in his pub for an after match refresher. He was pure Gas so lots of banter. After City's last minute win in the Joe Jordan promotion year, he was at the front door holding a full pint when I arrived and he held it out for me to take and then threw the beer at me. We both nearly wet ourselves laughing and it was one of the evenings when I got a cab home instead of walking. Boy was he proud of his younger brother, Larry.

RIP Larry even if you are Gas.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Are we counting Anglo-Scotch cup?

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Gloucester Cup more like.

I stand corrected.

Larry never won the Gloucester Cup. Loser. Shankly, Ramsey and Clough rated him, though. And Fred Ford. And you can't knock that.

Also, I'm amazed to discover the Anglo-Scotch cup actually is on Cloughie's CV.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Stuart Taylor was a real gentleman.

I never met Larry Lloyd, but I met Stuart Taylor several times and, together with Graham Day, another Rovers centre back stalwart who I knew quite well, they were both really nice men.

Sadly, all three of the aforementioned Rovers centre backs have now passed away. 

I remember LL had a very sort of high pitched voice for a big bloke !

(put me in mind of Dave Davis ( Kinks) voice )

Edited by slartibartfast

See he was an ex Henbury Old Boy. Pity he crossed to the dark side.

Good player, who realised his full potential and then some with the support of a couple of the best managers this Country has seen.

Rest easy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I remember LL had a very sort of high pitched voice for a big bloke !

(put me in mind of Dave Davis ( Kinks) voice )

Are you suggesting that La La La La Larry was a bit of an apeman?

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sglosbcfc said:

Larry Lloyd won more trophies than him surely.

Hapgood won 5 league titles and 2 FA Cups with Arsenal.

Lloyd won 2 League titles, 2 European Cups, a UEFA cup, a European Super Cup and 2 League Cups.

If think it’s fair to say both had illustrious careers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malago said:

Hapgood won 5 league titles and 2 FA Cups with Arsenal.

Lloyd won 2 League titles, 2 European Cups, a UEFA cup, a European Super Cup and 2 League Cups.

If think it’s fair to say both had illustrious careers.

Larry also picked up a medal when losing the 1971 Cup Final to Arsenal. I think he might just be the most medalled Bristolian footballer. Those European medals are going to take some beating by any future Bristol kiddies playing the game

• Like 1