IGNORED

Sunderland away match thread

1 minute ago, mozo said:

I don't think it would do any good for Manning to stand there and say, "Our boys were pathetic today. Pring looked like he was already on the beach, Twine's got no chance of a transfer, Jamo I'm going to call Lame-o from now on. You spend all week talking to them about 'shape' and they go put there and look as organised as a nursery nativity play. The worst bit is, on OTIB they'll all be blaming me, not these chances that I have to choose from week in, week out!!" [Throws mic to the floor and storms off]

If I was on the verge of the sack (Liam isn’t obviously) and didn’t need the dough that would be very tempting!!

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought Tanner & Vyner stuck at it & Pring (who took a very heavy knock early on from a clear foul that the ref chose to ignore) certainly improved.

Beyond that we certainly weren’t great, Wells fed on absolute scraps & even James wasn’t at his usual standard.

Take the point, 3rd clean sheet & move on.

Yeah, tbf I thought Vyner was good for 75% and Tanner was steady.

That was an obvious foul , but as usual I thought we got the short straw on decisions. I would have gone 2 up top and subbed Twine, but he won’t do that . 
Not optimistic for a good game Wednesday.

• Like 1
Just now, 1960maaan said:

Yeah, tbf I thought Vyner was good for 75% and Tanner was steady.

That was an obvious foul , but as usual I thought we got the short straw on decisions. I would have gone 2 up top and subbed Twine, but he won’t do that . 
Not optimistic for a good game Wednesday.

Yeah Vyner had a couple of dodgy moments but was good otherwise. He even tried to press forward a bit more in the second half.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RedJim said:

It's the total lack of attacking intent and quality on show. Are you enjoying this football under Manning? It's turgid.

We don’t have good attacking talent. Nige knew that too. Maybe Manning gave this team more credit than it deserved that it could adapt to his playstyle and thus we had a poor run in there. Idk but we need to revamp the forward players massively. Something that would have needed done under either manager. 

He has seemingly stabalised a bad situation. Think that is growth from him. He hasn’t perfected his craft yet. That is ok. He should be looked at the same way as a new 19 year old midfielder we would be looked at. Plenty of promise but may need to understand some bumps in the road. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
45 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

"A Difficult Place To Come".

Where isn't? I hate that bloody statement, means bugger all if you say it about absolutely everywhere.

"They're a good side," says 98% of managers and coaches after almost every game, either to explain a disappointing draw or loss, or to buff a win. In the 70s, managers (although not Alan Dicks) were big gob gobshites rubbishing anyone and everyone, like they were Muhammed Ali. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Four clean sheets in five games is very impressive. Well done Liam and the boys

Defence hasn't been a problem for over 12 months. How many goals have we scored in those 5 games ?

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I'm pleased for you that you are happy with the performances and the lies you've been told.

If as your name implies you were at Coventry in 77. So was I and we lived through some dark times in the years after that. The football was never so utterly boring in those years. The management and team were united as was the fanbase.

Personally over the past 6 months or so I have never felt so disconnected from the club.

It will be my perogative to continue to voice my concerns. If you don't like it you know where the ignore button is.

To be honest, it's quite rarely been exciting down Ashton Gate since we've been back in the Championship

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You and others may disagree and I totally respect that but to me the intent at half time was to shut up shop and play for the point. 

maybe, but we we showed better (low bar) attacking intent second half.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

"They're a good side," says 98% of managers and coaches after almost every game, either to explain a disappointing draw or loss, or to buff a win. In the 70s, managers (although not Alan Dicks) were big gob gobshites rubbishing anyone and everyone, like they were Muhammed Ali. 

Another stock phrase, used today, we "showed a different side to us". Filler when little good to say.

Just now, Sir Geoff said:

Defence hasn't been a problem for over 12 months. How many goals have we scored in those 5 games ?

That’s exactly why City a decent CF - on the summer shopping list apparently…….I’ll believe it hen it’s announced on the OS………….:cool2:

6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

We don’t have good attacking talent. Nige knew that too. Maybe Manning gave this team more credit than it deserved that it could adapt to his playstyle and thus we had a poor run in there. Idk but we need to revamp the forward players massively. Something that would have needed done under either manager. 

He has seemingly stabalised a bad situation. Think that is growth from him. He hasn’t perfected his craft yet. That is ok. He should be looked at the same way as a new 19 year old midfielder we would be looked at. Plenty of promise but may need to understand some bumps in the road. 

If I went in to work and created a bad situation but then stabilised that bad situation, I'm not sure my client would be giving me any credit! 

Why should we accept having a head coach that is learning? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3
12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Some good points there. But (and I know it's been done to death) we were sold a pup by the chairman and Tinnion with this front foot bollocks. 

And do you think our owners will be investing enough to buy these quality forward players that we so clearly need?

I have very little faith in seeing a marked improvement next season. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The floor of baseline performance has totally been worst post the change.

Generally our intent taken as an average was better or felt it.

Bar Leicester away, I don't recall us setting up not to lose early season.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought Tanner & Vyner stuck at it & Pring (who took a very heavy knock early on from a clear foul that the ref chose to ignore) certainly improved.

Beyond that we certainly weren’t great, Wells fed on absolute scraps & even James wasn’t at his usual standard.

Take the point, 3rd clean sheet & move on.

I would normally, at this time of the season with us safe in mid table, agree with your last sentence.

But I believe that what many of us see now and in the coming weeks will decide whether we renew or not.

At present I'm not sure I can put up with this sort of dross again next season.

How many others are the same?

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

They're not the club though, are they mate? They're just ships that pass in the night, so to speak. It's, er, us, we're the club. Can you get enthusiastic about us?

Enthusiastic about our fans? We've got a good loyal core support, but we aren't the decision makers are we? 

I'd like to see some real progress on the pitch, some serious ambition and investment in the playing squad from our owners. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s exactly why City a decent CF - on the summer shopping list apparently…….I’ll believe it hen it’s announced on the OS………….:cool2:

Exactly. I don't believe for one minute that we are signing the type of striker Tinnion indicated from a foreign club.

13 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Top six, I thought.

Did you really? I didn't. All that tells me is that the hierarchy needs a revamp.

The Manager? Well, as it's clear he isn't going anywhere, whether you agree with it or not, he needs to produce something to give those who are dithering on season tickets a reason that makes them renew. If Liam had achieved his 33 points in 26 games with a better spread of performances I wouldn't be bothered. Had a certain ex-Manager produced his results we would be seeing words like "streaky" bandied about. In particular he has a real issue beating and even avoiding defeat against lower end teams in the division and look what we have on the horizon, a very comfortable run-in in terms of opposition league position bar Norwich away. So for me he's got to produce performances against this type of team now to show people he can do something more than tread water or worse next season.

• Like 8