IGNORED

Latest Football agents fees

phantom

27 minutes ago, Malago said:

A quick scan, but it would seem everyone except Blackburn, Millwall, Plymouth and Rotherham spent more on agents than us.

Yep, that’s partly down to us not doing many transfers, but not succumbing eith, I guess.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, that’s partly down to us not doing many transfers, but not succumbing eith, I guess.

But seems a little strange for a club with a "top 10 budget".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

33 minutes ago, Harry said:

Didn’t know Tanner had signed a new contract 

March 2023 (this report is 1st Feb 23 - 1st Feb 24)

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agent only represented the club. Knight didn't use an agent.

Tamas Byrne is Knight’s agent, guessing Knight didn’t need representing, nor to share the costs?

edit: Byrne might not be Knight’s agent….so you could well be right.  Apologies 

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, paignton red said:

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but they are agents for the players, so why arn't the bloody players paying the fees ?

Because often it’s the clubs that instigate the transfer, on either side.  There are some tax implications / benefit in kind where in most cases player and club split.  @ExiledAjax will probably know more.

This episode of Price of Football is good (24th March 2022):

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-price-of-football/id1482886394?i=1000555057183

30 mins onwards for whole interview.

42 mins re payment.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, paignton red said:

I'm probably being a bit thick here, but they are agents for the players, so why arn't the bloody players paying the fees ?

So basically it's because the industry has developed so that the players have the power...and historically they've told clubs that the club has to pay. Agents haven't protested that as they want to be paid. Agents hold the keys to the door that gets the club talking to the players. It's "market practice". As Fevs says there are tax reasons, beneficial to the players, for this set up as well.

Then if you look at the chart that @Davefevs posted you'll see that often the agent represents both the club and the player. Seems odd, and it is really, but it's allowed.

New regulations were supposed to come into force at the start of this season to change some of this, but the agents took the FA to court and won, so those reforms were delayed. They finally came into force in 1 Jan this year, but were watered down. Agents can continue representing multiple parties provided all parties provide prior written consent and have the opportunity to seek independent legal advice. Clubs can also pay more than 50% of the total service fee in dual representation arrangements.

Edit. You're not being thick at all. It's tricky, messy, and plenty of very clever people don't understand it fully either.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1