IGNORED

Car insurance for young people

Daughter has just passed her test, she's 17, insurance seems to be an absolute minefield, we knew it wasn't going to be cheap but I cant find any rhyme or reason for pricing, I spent most of yesterday afternoon getting quotes online.

2018 Fiesta 1L  Just her fully comp £2.5k, with my wife on it £2.2k and 3rd party only £3k

With some other makes/models slightly cheaper.

Has anyone got any recommendations for companies/brokers?

TIA

To be honest I think it's just going to be crap for a while. Even passing in 2009 it was only sub-£2k if you got Pass Plus as well.

Biggest recommendations are to try all of the comparison sites (Compare the Market, Go Compare, Money Supermarket, Confused) - on all of them try with yourself as an added driver or your wife, or both (sometimes it's cheaper if you add both of you on!). Then if you have time just try to play with each filter, e.g. jobs can be quite subjective, some jobs could be described as Banking or Finance for example so try both and see which one comes out cheaper. Also sometimes car being parked on the road rather than on the drive can sometimes come out as inexplicably cheaper.

I tend not to do it now so much but when I was younger I'd muck about with all of those and some of those little things would shave £30 off or so here and there.

Edited by nebristolred

13 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Daughter has just passed her test, she's 17, insurance seems to be an absolute minefield, we knew it wasn't going to be cheap but I cant find any rhyme or reason for pricing, I spent most of yesterday afternoon getting quotes online.

2018 Fiesta 1L  Just her fully comp £2.5k, with my wife on it £2.2k and 3rd party only £3k

With some other makes/models slightly cheaper.

Has anyone got any recommendations for companies/brokers?

TIA

Does the price come down if you have a black box to monitor speed etc of the driving 

Car insurance is a racketeering con. 

All in league with one another and because it's a statutory cover, they can all hike across the board and claim it's "the market". 

As @nebristolredsays re the job. They were built in to systems many years ago. If you do any form of admin work, just put administration / administrator.