IGNORED

Sammy Szmodics due on talksport now

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I can't imagine he's got much love for Bristol City. 

He probably thinks he dodged a bullet 😂

If he was still here now then he wouldn’t be getting 20 goals a season with our current style.

But in all fairness he drops off into the space between midfield and his fellow strikers to pick up the ball.

He does exactly what Twine was brought in to do 

Without doubt he is having a great season scoring wise but the obsession is unreal.

Apart from this season his scoring stats (which everyone is obsessed with) are either OK or not great.

I really don't blame the club for not playing him. It wasn't like he was head and shoulders above pato or Palmer at the time

1 hour ago, Littlesh*t said:

Without doubt he is having a great season scoring wise but the obsession is unreal.

Apart from this season his scoring stats (which everyone is obsessed with) are either OK or not great.

I really don't blame the club for not playing him. It wasn't like he was head and shoulders above pato or Palmer at the time

Whilst he was here when he got his opportunities he blew them. He looked miles off it. 
I seem to recall coaching staff comments about him being a bit of a clown so I doubt there was much support to keep the lad over others in his position. I am sure his experience here has helped him become the player he is today. 
Perhaps Tinnion will take the credit …

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Will he mention his time here?  Could be worth a listen, amazing to think we binned him off and he's now top scorer.

He is 28. This is the first season he has got over 20 goals. His previous returns were:

Good on him, but he clearly wasnt showing the form he is in when he was here.

Am I the only one who sees this Szmodic obsession (maybe the wrong word) as a little bit OTT?

The majority of the comments I read on here reads like he left us at the end of last season and he's suddenly tearing it up straight after he's left us. He left over 4 years ago, his record up until this season hasn't been exceptional whatsoever, and there is a strong possibility he wouldn't even be here now regardless.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Am I the only one who sees this Szmodic obsession (maybe the wrong word) as a little bit OTT?

The majority of the comments I read on here reads like he left us at the end of last season and he's suddenly tearing it up straight after he's left us. He left over 4 years ago, his record up until this season hasn't been exceptional whatsoever, and there is a strong possibility he wouldn't even be here now regardless.

It's revisionism. He wasn't good enough here.

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

He is 28. This is the first season he has got over 20 goals. His previous returns were:

Good on him, but he clearly wasnt showing the form he is in when he was here.

This is something that I think we as fans forget. It’s all well and good labelling ex players as ‘another one that got away’ but let’s be fair it’s taken him 5/6 seasons to start performing at a good level and actually we didn’t have the time to wait or games to give him to get him where is now. Similar thing with Wes Burns, we knew he was a good player but he needed a few seasons in league one where he could get 40plus games on spin to be considered a consistent decent player in this league. Even look at Kane Wilson now made over 40 appearances for Derby who are very likely to be playing us next season.

For what it’s worth I think Sammie could have added some value quicker if we gave him more of a chance but we know there was too much competition for him, shame really.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Goals and Assists both count, given he isn't a pure striker 30 in a season is remarkable but I reckon his all-round contribution has been solid enough in recent times even before this 

22/23 - 34 games, 5 goals, 2 assists
21/22 - 36 games, 6 goals, 1 assist
20/21 - 42 games, 15 goals, 8 assists (League one)

I reckon a few people would have moaned if we signed him in the last couple of years, yet he's being talked of now that we let some World beater go who has been doing it week in week out the moment he left us. He's having an amazing season, everything seems to have clicked, good luck to him, but it all seems a bit odd on here blaming whoever they can for letting him go.

46 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Does seem a little OTT he is having a great season no doubt about it, I felt he was not given a fair crack at city tbh, but as others have said not like he has tore it up since he has left us, He would need to do it again next season for me to really think he's a top player seems to me similar to when Weimann had his goal scoring season. on another note don't know about other people but i always like to see ex city players doing well (not when they play us obviously ). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mattredrobin said:

Does seem a little OTT he is having a great season no doubt about it, I felt he was not given a fair crack at city tbh, but as others have said not like he has tore it up since he has left us, He would need to do it again next season for me to really think he's a top player seems to me similar to when Weimann had his goal scoring season. on another note don't know about other people but i always like to see ex city players doing well (not when they play us obviously ). 

i was going to say the same thing but use bobby reid instead of weimann. blackburn have got lucky this season,found a way that works and stuck by it. could happen with anyone, well,sort of.

Rather than many with rose tinted glasses pining for him & thinking we messed up by letting him go, he didn't exactly set the world alight when he was here and rather it was an opportunity HE missed.

Good luck to him, sometimes it just doesn't work out. I would like to think that he used the disappointing experience he gained here to re double his efforts elsewhere. It certainly should make for a lucrative transfer for him this summer.

• Like 3

• Admin
4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Will he mention his time here?  Could be worth a listen, amazing to think we binned him off and he's now top scorer.

On the basis he only played 4 games for us, he'd do well to remember a game he played for us

2 minutes ago, Swede said:

Rather than many with rose tinted glasses pining for him & thinking we messed up by letting him go, he didn't exactly set the world alight when he was here and rather it was an opportunity HE missed.

Good luck to him, sometimes it just doesn't work out. I would like to think that he used the disappointing experience he gained here to re double his efforts elsewhere. It certainly should make for a lucrative transfer for him this summer.

Exactly this, I am amazed so many don't realise he was a different player when passing through

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

i was going to say the same thing but use bobby reid instead of weimann. blackburn have got lucky this season,found a way that works and stuck by it. could happen with anyone, well,sort of.

Yes sometimes certain players just click with certain managers get a bit of confidence and start firing.