IGNORED

Bayer Leverkusen

15 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

After a very late stoppage time equaliser at Dortmund, Leverkusen remain on course to become the 1st team in Bundesliga history to go through a season unbeaten. Under Alonso they have now gone 45 games unbeaten in all competitions and scored an incredible 26 goals after the 80th minute in games. 

It is remarkable. Sign of a good team of course, but so many late late goals by them this season.

Has a team in Europe’s ‘big 5’ leagues ever had an unbeaten season in every competition before? Or in any league for that matter. If they do a treble with 0 losses… wow. Just defies imagination. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Has a team in Europe’s ‘big 5’ leagues ever had an unbeaten season in every competition before? Or in any league for that matter. If they do a treble with 0 losses… wow. Just defies imagination. 

Celtic 16-17 under Brendan Rodgers were unbeaten in all domestic competitions completing the treble.

Other than that can't think of any recent examples. 

12 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Celtic 16-17 under Brendan Rodgers were unbeaten in all domestic competitions completing the treble.

Fair play. Struggled more in Europe I assume. The day Celtic or Rangers go unbeaten in Europe will be confusing 🤣 then again I guess Rangers didn't lose much in their Europa league run!

I mean agreed in some ways albeit Bayer Leverkusen did reach a CL final in the early 2000s, did reach 2nd in the Bundesliga at least once..they were known as Neverkusen until now.

Blackburn are a historic club, in modern times bot so much but a strong history so I'm not sure any of the 3 are that alike. Albeit in the very modern context of the last saw years I can see some similarity.

• Like 1

Just checked briefly.. 

In 2001-02, they finished 2nd in the Bundesliga, CL and German Cup.

In addition, they also came 2nd in 1996-97, 1998-99, 1999-2000...Plus 2010-11 but that period of late 1990s to early 2000s especially.

A major feat don't get me wrong but by certain metrics a decent sized club or have been.

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Managed all that in a season where they lost to "Lincoln Red Imps" and "Hapoel Be'er Sheva" haha

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Bayer Leverkusen, the Leicester City or Blackburn Rovers of Germany Bundesliga. A small club getting a League title against all the giants and possibly unlikely to ever get so close again?

Hi Cidered, sadly not particularly romantic though, much as Jack Walker funded Blackburn, Bayer Leverkusen are owned by a multi billion euro, multinational company Bayer who have their HQ in Leverkusen. Seem to remember a few years back they were hated by other clubs/fans in Germany for not following the fan owned model. Perhaps People are happy to see Bayern not win though.