IGNORED

Junior Premier League (JPL) / Grassroots - Children’s Football

Has anyone had their child play in the JPL? It’s early days, but my son might get involved in it. Saturday matches instead of grassroots’ traditional Sunday is what I’m told.

Maybe the training and coaches approach might be different also?!

For those who have a son/daughter playing football in the JPL and may have previously been in grassroots, what experiences and opinions do you guys have as parents/carers? 

Any comparisons between both the JPL and grassroots?

I’m new to all this as my son will be playing matches as he enters Year 2 from September and has played for a club since he was about 3 years old.

JPL is in between club Academies and grassroots like Ashton, Whitchurch Sports etc.  

My son was involved in BICADC which is probably now called something else.  It was before they joined the league but he got to travel to exotic locations like Ludlow, Walsall and Barnwood to play equivalents sides, some of who were linked to league sides.

Coaching was decent.  There were a lot of deluded parents though.  Occasionally some kids would be picked up by an Academy but in the most part the kids were good but not quite outstanding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

Has anyone had their child play in the JPL? It’s early days, but my son might get involved in it. Saturday matches instead of grassroots’ traditional Sunday is what I’m told.

For those who have a son/daughter playing football in the JPL and may have previously been in grassroots, what experiences and opinions do you guys have as parents/carers? 

I’m new to all this as my son will be playing matches as he enters Year 2 from September and has played for a club since he was about 3 years old.

My son played for BIC. I found the parents to be a lot worse than Sunday morning football.  They seemed to think their kids were going to make it. The coaching is much better though especially if they are training twice a week. Quick improvements but quite drill based which put my son off.  The games do get scouted quite a lot by City, Rovers, FGR, Cheltenham, Cardiff.  

Overall I’d say if your child just loves anything football then it’s great. If they just want to play matches in training then it’s not for them. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I have had a Son play in the JPL and,  ahem I was a coach at a development centre playing in the JPL.

Opinion. It is beneficial to look at all development centres, one size, one development centre does not fit all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

I thought JPL football runs alongside grassroots football? I mean they’ll be playing JPL on a Saturday and grassroots for their club on a Sunday, that’s the impression I get at South Glos and that’s what they expect.
My girl has playing for them this season and hopefully will move up into JPL with them next season , she plays for her club on a Sunday as well .They don’t start JPL with the girls until u13. With these RTC centres like south glos the training is good and they are training with players of their ability rather than mixed ability which means they push on quicker .It is quite a lot more expensive than grassroots football though and more travelling in the JPL although it is more regional now from what I understand. Great bunch of parents in my daughters group and she really enjoys it. I say if they really like playing football then give them every opportunity you can if time and money allow. 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2024 at 19:18, Pickle Rick said:

As a generalisation, Rick, every kind of competitive game that a child plays puts them in the shop window for (especially) local football club scouts who are  looking for recruits to their Academies.

I may be wrong but i believe that children can, and do, play in the JPL on a Saturday and then their Club team on a Sunday.

• Like 1