IGNORED

Brian Tinnion - Podcast (filmed early Feb)

Davefevs

• The title was changed to Brian Tinnion - Podcast (filmed early Feb)

Definitely worth a listen.

Tinnion comes across as the right person to be in charge of the Academy structure & his point about how our overall recruitment has improved is spot on, but you have to be blind to think he’s qualified to be a Technical Director, really unprofessional in some of his comments & can’t help himself in revealing fees we’ve paid.

Completely innumerate too, as his comment on the 2 Coventry signings shows.

Last point, he says on numerous occasions that we’re bringing in “one or two” this summer, so even if TC’s possible departure changes that, it will only be slightly, there clearly won’t be a large number of arrivals.

45 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Definitely worth a listen.

Tinnion comes across as the right person to be in charge of the Academy structure & his point about how our overall recruitment has improved is spot on, but you have to be blind to think he’s qualified to be a Technical Director, really unprofessional in some of his comments & can’t help himself in revealing fees we’ve paid.

Completely innumerate too, as his comment on the 2 Coventry signings shows.

Last point, he says on numerous occasions that we’re bringing in “one or two” this summer, so even if TC’s possible departure changes that, it will only be slightly, there clearly won’t be a large number of arrivals.

He talks with great passion and depth about the academy doesn’t he?  From a first team point of view, it’s a bit more “we’ve got a plan” without really going into much depth about what the plan entails.  Some of that I put down to the two interviewers, they didn’t ask questions to allow / offer Tins the chance to expand.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He talks with great passion and depth about the academy doesn’t he?  From a first team point of view, it’s a bit more “we’ve got a plan” without really going into much depth about what the plan entails.  Some of that I put down to the two interviewers, they didn’t ask questions to allow / offer Tins the chance to expand.

At least he didn't say 'cunning plan'. Although that might be more in keeping with some views of him.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The “plan” clearly involves “young, hungry” players.

He says the same thing about six times..

Certainly makes the point that we won’t be signing “31 year olds looking for a last big payday”.

This is a very simplistic answer, the likes of Wilbraham & Wade Elliott show that you can get real value from older players.

Dismisses the question about the value of King & James very swiftly, too..

54 minutes ago, Henry said:

Is this the Tony Wilkins one? Find it really strange he’d make to be associated with him. 

Is that real?

Christ.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Certainly makes the point that we won’t be signing “31 year olds looking for a last big payday”.

This is a very simplistic answer, the likes of Wilbraham & Wade Elliott show that you can get real value from older players.

Is that real?

Christ.

As much as young & hungry is said I don't think an older 'hungry' player would be dismissed if they have the quality & still pull the physical levels we require, more then just a case of are they the right fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

This is exactly why I’ve decided not to renew my season ticket. There doesn’t appear to be an appetite to reinvest in the squad and I don’t think we are anywhere near being top six.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

As much as young & hungry is said I don't think an older 'hungry' player would be dismissed if they have the quality & still pull the physical levels we require, more then just a case of are they the right fit. 

Hope so, but not how it came across.

26 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Is that real?

Christ.

It is. I haven’t listened to it so won’t pass full judgement.

But considering his (Wilkins, not Tinnion) views on immigration, feels a bit odd considering Anis Mehmeti’s background.

17 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I’m sorry, am I reading this correctly? 

The Technical Director has appeared on a podcast hosted by.. Tony Wilkins?! 

That is such a Bristol Rovers move that my little brain can’t even comprehend it.

Yep. Currently retweeting stuff by Braverman, Patel and Tice.

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

I’m sorry, am I reading this correctly? 

The Technical Director has appeared on a podcast hosted by.. Tony Wilkins?! 

That is such a Bristol Rovers move that my little brain can’t even comprehend it.

I haven’t listened to TW’s pod, but I believe it is about sobriety.

So. (just reading comments)

Dont invest in the squad to push on with proven quality players. Only young , "hungry - and much to learn.

The best of academy players/younger crop sold within a year. (as always)

The rest stay here : we'll forever be one or two away if get the August window right.(every year)

4-9 points off playoffs.

All the academy statistics , amount of goals , etc etc are useless, when the academy IS the team.

Academy cream players are meant to compliment what you've bought in to push on.

It's almost like, they've registered how fans like home grown players , will be more patient , so let's over load and push that. It's a great way to become self sustaining, fans will lap it up.

Who needs a promotion push when their all one of our owm - or at least own made.

You need experience for the dog days of the season, to maintain standards and discipline.

You need quality to push the club forward and for the youngsters to aspire to

And you need youth to keep it fresh, to give keep the club connected to fans.

It's not as hard as they are trying to make it. But it's their version of identity , their obsession to do it the way not done before. Until the next change of direction that is.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The turtle said:

So. (just reading comments)

Dont invest in the squad to push on with proven quality players. Only young , "hungry - and much to learn.

The best of academy players/younger crop sold within a year. (as always)

The rest stay here : we'll forever be one or two away if get the August window right.(every year)

4-9 points off playoffs.

All the academy statistics , amount of goals , etc etc are useless, when the academy IS the team.

Academy cream players are meant to compliment what you've bought in to push on.

It's almost like, they've registered how fans like home grown players , will be more patient , so let's over load and push that. It's a great way to become self sustaining, fans will lap it up.

Who needs a promotion push when their all one of our owm - or at least own made.

You need experience for the dog days of the season, to maintain standards and discipline.

You need quality to push the club forward and for the youngsters to aspire to

And you need youth to keep it fresh, to give keep the club connected to fans.

It's not as hard as they are trying to make it. But it's their version of identity , their obsession to do it the way not done before. Until the next change of direction that is.

The only good thing about any of this is that we know they aren't professional enough to be able to execute a plan. Even a half baked, ill conceived, hair-brained one. Luckily for us, the Dream Team weren't around in 1945. "Boats, you say ..."

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I haven’t listened to TW’s pod, but I believe it is about sobriety.

It is. I find Wilkins an absolute moron both on Radio Bristol and Twitter when it comes to his knowledge/views of football, but I would never knock his podcast considering the subject and the likely challenges he’s gone through and continues to go through. I see Tinnion being on that more in the community sphere and it might be an interesting listen if they touch on the footballing drinking culture that was prevalent when Tinnion was a player.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

What happens when the young hungry players aren't quite good enough and you've let go of your experienced players ?

There's definitely a risk there.

The thing for me is that we might fill our squad with players that will be great in 2028, but until then we won't go anywhere, and those players won't even stay that long.

At the moment we have players like Williams, Pring, Dickie, O'Leary and  Vyner all in or approaching their prime years, and few a couple of years behind, but we do need to be careful that we don't lose the nous, maturity and character that older players can bring.

20 hours ago, Graham76 said:

This is exactly why I’ve decided not to renew my season ticket. There doesn’t appear to be an appetite to reinvest in the squad and I don’t think we are anywhere near being top six.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate a little here. Whilst there's plenty of good reasons to be sceptical of the board's willingness to spend, bringing in "one or two" doesn't automatically equate to spending less.

The "one or two" are presumably a striker and a permanent solution to the Twine loan (i.e. either Twine or a player who can play the same role). Strikers and attacking midfielders are the two most expensive positions to sign and there is a valid argument for saying "let's concentrate all our resources on those two positions" rather than spreading the budget thinly and therefore spending less of the budget - whatever that budget is - on the two key positions.

With Bird coming in and if no departures, I honestly think that our defence, full backs and midfield are not in urgent need of signings and - whilst there is certainly a case for competition for Max O'Leary, I think O'Leary is good enough as a goalkeeper. Everyone is upgradeable of course but I'd be relaxed going into next season with our current defence, our current goalkeeping options and our current midfield (plus Bird, less one of James or Williams, with a possibility Murphy or Stokes will be ready to compete for a place).

However I think we need to get the striker and attacking midfielder correct and I think doing that is far more important than several signings. Obviously all this depends on how much the board are actually providing as a budget and if it is sufficient but I'm going to judge the club on how much we're prepared to spend rather than how many players we're prepared to spend it on. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'm going to play Devil's advocate a little here. Whilst there's plenty of good reasons to be sceptical of the board's willingness to spend, bringing in "one or two" doesn't automatically equate to spending less.

The "one or two" are presumably a striker and a permanent solution to the Twine loan (i.e. either Twine or a player who can play the same role). Strikers and attacking midfielders are the two most expensive positions to sign and there is a valid argument for saying "let's concentrate all our resources on those two positions" rather than spreading the budget thinly and therefore spending less of the budget - whatever that budget is - on the two key positions.

With Bird coming in and if no departures, I honestly think that our defence, full backs and midfield are not in urgent need of signings and - whilst there is certainly a case for competition for Max O'Leary, I think O'Leary is good enough as a goalkeeper. Everyone is upgradeable of course but I'd be relaxed going into next season with our current defence, our current goalkeeping options and our current midfield (plus Bird, less one of James or Williams, with a possibility Murphy or Stokes will be ready to compete for a place).

However I think we need to get the striker and attacking midfielder correct and I think doing that is far more important than several signings. Obviously all this depends on how much the board are actually providing as a budget and if it is sufficient but I'm going to judge the club on how much we're prepared to spend rather than how many players we're prepared to spend it on. 

Spot on assessment 👏

46 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agree.

In summary if we pick up cover for Max (almost certainly an out of contract keeper with Championship/L1 experience), a number 10 and a striker at circa £3m each, that’s our summer business done unless Conway leaves or the likes of Cornick or even Naismith are moved on.

Nothing like the fanciful £15m-£18m mentioned on a podcast but enough to strengthen us in the obvious areas.

• Like 3