IGNORED

Bird next season?

reddogkev

What will next season hold for this guy?  Is he gonna be ready to make a difference straight away or is he going to take a while to adapt?

TBH, I don't know much about him, but with all the talk of signing Twine, will they both fit into the team?  Do we need them both?

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What will next season hold for this guy?  Is he gonna be ready to make a difference straight away or is he going to take a while to adapt?

TBH, I don't know much about him, but with all the talk of signing Twine, will they both fit into the team?  Do we need them both?

Scored a nice goal for Derby yesterday 

• Like 1

Really good question but i liked his goal for Derby yesterday and any Ram you speak to thinks highly of him. Under, Liam we have seen Twine shine and Anis pose a real threat with goals and assists. We also have Knight and Skyes who can play attacking roles from midfield forwards with Bell still to come back from injury.

A lot of permutations and i dont know but this is one of the most exciting conundrums for the management to resolve over the summer. Great question

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

He’s played 100 times in the championship already…he will be expected to go right off the bat.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering what yesterday would've been like for him.  Achieved promotion and then out celebrating with your team mates when you know you won't be playing alongside them next year.  Must've been a bit odd.  

I guess it proves the value in the deal Derby struck.  Would they have got promoted had he not stayed there until the end of the season?

18 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Is Bird not the likely replacement of James?

‘Central 3’ of Bird, Knight and Twine (possibly)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Skin said:

I was wondering what yesterday would've been like for him.  Achieved promotion and then out celebrating with your team mates when you know you won't be playing alongside them next year.  Must've been a bit odd.  

I guess it proves the value in the deal Derby struck.  Would they have got promoted had he not stayed there until the end of the season?

Yeah was thinking that also, bet there's a part of him wishing he was staying for their campaign next season.  Derby's season might have crumbled without him!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alessandro said:

Is Bird not the likely replacement of James?

‘Central 3’ of Bird, Knight and Twine (possibly)

Wow, if those 3 all linked up well, we could be taking teams apart for fun next season

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

He is a very different player to Twine, and I think he will excel under Manning far more than Warne. Paul Warne sides are very direct, and some Derby fans have been frustrated with this and feel it negates the strengths of Bird. A completely different style of football to Manning.

Whilst Bird isn’t the same player as James they are similar, he seems like an obvious replacement and in my view an upgrade. He is more mobile a better passer and a bigger goal threat - James does have greater experience and nouse though.

i think he will be an excellent signing, and im suprised we managed to get him…. A rotating 4 of Bird Knight Williams and TGH is really good at this level. For all his faults one thing BT has improved is recruitment of players. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Yeah was thinking that also, bet there's a part of him wishing he was staying for their campaign next season.  Derby's season might have crumbled without him!

Think Derby lost only one game whilst he was injured, so I'm not sure about how absolutely crucial he was for their season.

I'm excited to see him with us. He and Knight were just about the best part of Derby's horror Wayne Rooney/financial turmoil/relegation period. Reuniting them at Ashton Gate, 3 years older and more experienced could be really exciting.

• Like 5

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Hope he comes in with a positive happy to be here attitude. Not sure.

Seems a good player of our level but I was a little concerned when Knight said in the week that Bird is a very similar player to him

Why wouldn’t he come here positive and happy? I haven’t heard the interview and the specifics he was referring to, but they are clearly very different types of players. 

He is a great signing and with all of the continued negativety towards the hierarchy one thing they must have huge credit for is the astute recruitment. Getting Bird and TGH for example for peanuts represents great business, very impressive and very "un Bristol City like" The big test is the summer recruitment and the big No.9.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Swede said:

He is a great signing and with all of the continued negativety towards the hierarchy one thing they must have huge credit for is the astute recruitment. Getting Bird and TGH for example for peanuts represents great business, very impressive and very "un Bristol City like" The big test is the summer recruitment and the big No.9.

After the scattergun approach pre-Covid, it really had no plan, covid then tied Holden’s hands (just Williams recruited with a fee), to frugal squad building / trimming by Nige against a solid profiling of players.  That sensible approach appears to have been continued.

There is also less churn too.  No loans having to go back…in fact the opposite, two loans coming in (Bird / Stokes).

People seem unable to divorce individual elements of criticism, and therefore if you’ve made your bed on someone then you’ve got to lie in it for everything.  That’s crazy.  You can dislike the way the hierarchy go about one thing, but have a different view on how they do something else, e.g. recruitment.  The same happens with praise, just the other way around.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

Who's to say he's the only Derby player to be off over the summer? It might look a different team and not many of his mates might be there come the new season. Plus he has Knight here too. Who knows, might not be as bad for him 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Swede said:

Interesting you mention TGH. I’m not sold on him as yet. Big season coming up for him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Who's to say he's the only Derby player to be off over the summer? It might look a different team and not many of his mates might be there come the new season. Plus he has Knight here too. Who knows, might not be as bad for him 🤷‍♂️

He’ll know Roberts well too (he was at Derby last season on a season long loan) 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

After the scattergun approach pre-Covid, it really had no plan, covid then tied Holden’s hands (just Williams recruited with a fee), to frugal squad building / trimming by Nige against a solid profiling of players.  That sensible approach appears to have been continued.

There is also less churn too.  No loans having to go back…in fact the opposite, two loans coming in (Bird / Stokes).

People seem unable to divorce individual elements of criticism, and therefore if you’ve made your bed on someone then you’ve got to lie in it for everything.  That’s crazy.  You can dislike the way the hierarchy go about one thing, but have a different view on how they do something else, e.g. recruitment.  The same happens with praise, just the other way around.

Good post and fair comment, the recruitment feels like it has, on the whole, improved.

We seem to have fewer misses - the churn is probably less on the pure fact we’ve signed less?

The lack of loans very much a NP thing, as he publicly said often he didn’t want pointless loans - then 2 loans as soon as he goes…

Twine has somewhat rescued what was a slightly underwhelming Jan IMO (in terms of for this season at least)

I’ve been critical of Tinnion, feel like you’ve mellowed - even warmed perhaps to him…!? Has he reached out to you too or just the results helped 😜

But joking aside, credit Tinnion and his team for some good signings.
Very solid, but not spectacular. No £1-2m’s looking like going for £10-15m plus yet..

I’m still interested to see how a larger sample over a longer period of windows pans out…especially as we won’t have the academy products at the same rate for at least a season or two…

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I’ve been critical of Tinnion, feel like you’ve mellowed - even warmed perhaps to him…!? Has he reached out to you too or just the results helped 😜

I’ve never had a problem with Tins, don’t resort to snake names, etc, always liked his passion for City, if somewhat too bullish at times.  I will be critical of throwaway soundbites from anyone like “front foot, high press….”.  I was in my City wilderness days in the Wilson Tinnion era, likewise the LJ nepotism years under GK, so I don’t carry the baggage / history of some.  So I just post what I think from what I see.  I don’t like Tins divulging sensitive info though.  But his part / growing part in recruitment in the past 2.5 years is something I’ve continually supported.  When “everyone” (sic) was saying “would you give Nige any money” I was supportive of the recruitment process / signings made.  That hasn’t changed.

+++++

On a slight asude, listening to FBC this morning, I see that players are no longer classed as injured in some cases - they’re “rehabbing”.  Makes I chuckle!!!

• Like 3

Our midfield looks promising , the big bit now is the No.10 . 
As it stands we have ;
Bird , Knight , TGH , Stokes , Murphy , Williams? James?

Defence when all fit looks decent too. 

Striker one short as it is, 2 if Conway goes . 

Who was it that did the squad depth thing ?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Our midfield looks promising , the big bit now is the No.10 . 
As it stands we have ;
Bird , Knight , TGH , Stokes , Murphy , Williams? James?

Defence when all fit looks decent too. 

Striker one short as it is, 2 if Conway goes . 

Who was it that did the squad depth thing ?

Stokes is a bit more of an attack minded player I thought?

Naismith can also slot into central midfield or deeper anyway, as well as CB in a back 4 and into a back 3. 

I hope we can retain Williams and James...

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve never had a problem with Tins, don’t resort to snake names, etc, always liked his passion for City, if somewhat too bullish at times.  I will be critical of throwaway soundbites from anyone like “front foot, high press….”.  I was in my City wilderness days in the Wilson Tinnion era, likewise the LJ nepotism years under GK, so I don’t carry the baggage / history of some.  So I just post what I think from what I see.  I don’t like Tins divulging sensitive info though.  But his part / growing part in recruitment in the past 2.5 years is something I’ve continually supported.  When “everyone” (sic) was saying “would you give Nige any money” I was supportive of the recruitment process / signings made.  That hasn’t changed.

+++++

On a slight asude, listening to FBC this morning, I see that players are no longer classed as injured in some cases - they’re “rehabbing”.  Makes I chuckle!!!

Out of likes today 👍 - as I say, one area trending in the right direction, solid if not spectacular. We’ll see if that’s good enough for the ultimate goal.

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Interesting you mention TGH. I’m not sold on him as yet. Big season coming up for him. 

He's technically a very good player who can play in a number of positions. Interestingly, much like Knight and Bird, he's welcomed a move away from his developing club to presumably shake the young "academy prospect" tag off once and for all. There's a lot more to come from him.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Stokes is a bit more of an attack minded player I thought?

Naismith can also slot into central midfield or deeper anyway, as well as CB in a back 4 and into a back 3. 

I hope we can retain Williams and James...

I don't see Naismith getting into that MF , unless we really need a deep sitting shield .

You're right about Stokes , I was on a role by then .