IGNORED

Roberts or JD?

3 hours ago, 2015 said:

Never rated him? He's a very decent footballer, but all about opinions I guess.

Absolutely he is. He used to be great linking up with the midfield around the half way line. Very tidy footballer…

But unfortunately he had flaws going forward. I’m not going to say who is better, but I think Roberts will go on to have a better career.

It’s still early days, but that’s just a hunch from me.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Absolutely he is. He used to be great linking up with the midfield around the half way line. Very tidy footballer…

But unfortunately he had flaws going forward. I’m not going to say who is better, but I think Roberts will go on to have a better career.

It’s still early days, but that’s just a hunch from me.

Just astonishes me someone can watch JD with how tidy he is on the ball and says 'dont rate him' each to their own I guess. Good footballer, sadly physicality never helped him which isn't even his fault.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Never rated JD, too small so no good defensively, OK going forward

I would like to see Pring & Roberts switched, as I think Cam is the better defender and Roberts is better going forward, its a nice problem to have

Genuine question, but how often did a winger ever get the beating of Dasilva? Very good defensively, read the game incredibly well and produced plenty of interceptions! The height element we largely counteracted by reacting to the second ball but think you do him a big disservice by saying 'no good defensively'.

In terms of Roberts, he seems perfect for left of a 3 or orthodox LB in a back 4, doesn't have the explosiveness to play wingback but certainly has everything else in his locker to play across the whole back line. His over/underlapping runs last few weeks have reminded me of a higher level version of Derrick Williams in our league 1 promotion season.

Think next season could be a big year for him and think we'll see him more at CB than LB personally as his defensive game evolves.

• Like 4

Different type of players but I really like the look of Roberts, his attitude too seems great, a real winner. Jay was good too, I think he suits Coventry well, ironically he would suit Manning too!

Tanner on the other side is very good as well, not as talented with the ball but an excellent defender and very good 1 on 1 defender too, just goes about his business, never shows much emotion other than a professional poker face. Great to have 2 young lads like that for Free and £300k respectively. 

If we can get Atkinson fit, then with Vyner and Dickie we are sorted at the back for years. 

7 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

Genuine question, but how often did a winger ever get the beating of Dasilva? Very good defensively, read the game incredibly well and produced plenty of interceptions! The height element we largely counteracted by reacting to the second ball but think you do him a big disservice by saying 'no good defensively'.

In terms of Roberts, he seems perfect for left of a 3 or orthodox LB in a back 4, doesn't have the explosiveness to play wingback but certainly has everything else in his locker to play across the whole back line. His over/underlapping runs last few weeks have reminded me of a higher level version of Derrick Williams in our league 1 promotion season.

Think next season could be a big year for him and think we'll see him more at CB than LB personally as his defensive game evolves.

He was forever getting targeted by taller wingers and beaten and cost us a number of times. Was much quicker before the injury, was ok going forward, but no way a defender. Sorry it has to be more than just having a good song to be a good player

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

He was forever getting targeted by taller wingers and beaten and cost us a number of times. Was much quicker before the injury, was ok going forward, but no way a defender. Sorry it has to be more than just having a good song to be a good player

If this was forever happening and cost us there must be loads of examples then?

The height thing is constantly chucked around in relation to Dasilva and think so much of it is unwarranted and just lazy. He was also never particularly 'quick' whilst sprinting and did his best work in tight spaces as had good acceleration rather than out wide as a LWB and a greater reliance on speed. Until this season (where Pring has developed so much) Dasilva was far better defensively than Pring who did offer a lot more going forward as well as that explosiveness we needed at LB/LWB

Ultimately, like Roberts has shown, you don't need to be overly aerially dominant to play defence in this league and both players have shown great awareness to find ways to mitigate their weaknesses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, hinsleburg said:

If this was forever happening and cost us there must be loads of examples then?

The height thing is constantly chucked around in relation to Dasilva and think so much of it is unwarranted and just lazy. He was also never particularly 'quick' whilst sprinting and did his best work in tight spaces as had good acceleration rather than out wide as a LWB and a greater reliance on speed. Until this season (where Pring has developed so much) Dasilva was far better defensively than Pring who did offer a lot more going forward as well as that explosiveness we needed at LB/LWB

Ultimately, like Roberts has shown, you don't need to be overly aerially dominant to play defence in this league and both players have shown great awareness to find ways to mitigate their weaknesses. 

Agree by and large.  Might’ve been targeted but used his body well to put his opponent off.  Defended his back post well aerially, good awareness.

I do think his second shin-splints costs him half a yard of pace.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

reminded me of a higher level version of Derrick Williams in our league 1 promotion season.

I was thinking about Derrick Williams too at the weekend; the make-up of that back 3 generally reminded me of the make-up on Saturday - different skill sets of course but the fact that that you just have one big/true CB in the middle with a different type of player either side. For Ayling (who also played a lot at RB), read Tanner. 

On 28/04/2024 at 11:56, nickolas said:

Not sure ive seen a player that quick before. Would give Kyle Walker a run for his money too. 
Seemed a decent enough player but that pace is a huge asset if he was used, ( or able ) to play LWB. 

Also has a really interesting back story as Bramall came up through non-league rather than an academy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohen_Bramall

Super quick and as much as @Davefevs says McCrorie negated him, the reverse was also true. He was still running strong right up to the end and was the one player in that Rotherham team that looked capable at Championship level.

13 minutes ago, eardun said:

I was thinking about Derrick Williams too at the weekend; the make-up of that back 3 generally reminded me of the make-up on Saturday - different skill sets of course but the fact that that you just have one big/true CB in the middle with a different type of player either side. For Ayling (who also played a lot at RB), read Tanner. 

Sorry but George Tanner is no Luke Aylimg. One is an attacking full back who scores goals and the other is Tanner, who seems to be at risk of a nosebleed every time he crosses the halfway line.

As for Roberts, a truly classy player, who is short for a central defender but much like Geoff Merrick (or for a left back Jay Dasilva) it doesn’t seem to affect his performance. So assured on the ball, generally good passes (although a couple of wayward forward passes on Saturday - channelling his inner Zak Vyner?!) and already scored a goal with his feet, taken like a centre forward. Much to admire, especially considering how young he is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Sorry but George Tanner is no Luke Aylimg. One is an attacking full back who scores goals and the other is Tanner, who seems to be at risk of a nosebleed every time he crosses the halfway line.

That’s why I said different skill sets. The point was a full back playing at CB, and successfully at that. 

43 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Super quick and as much as @Davefevs says McCrorie negated him, the reverse was also true. He was still running strong right up to the end and was the one player in that Rotherham team that looked capable at Championship level.

Yep, stalemate.  Agreed.

Which was a far better “result” that Bramhall tearing down the left side at NYS in October.