IGNORED

Roberts or JD?

I was sorry to see the footballing skills of Jay move to Coventry where he and Palmer have become two of the more consistent Sky Blues team. But yesterday's ball skills of Roberts makes me think this lad could be a real star for us next season. How much did he cost and do you see him playing in front or behind Pring?

• Like 3

I see Roberts playing where he has in the last 7 matches - left centre back in a 3. CB is his preferred position. Of course if, say, Pring is injured and we have other LCBs available Roberts could also play LWB. 

What an astute signing . It wasn’t working out for the lad but now he looks class . Technically very gifted and uses his body well . Lots of room to improve loads more which will only benefit us . Super just super 

• Like 3

Roberts for me. But you know what, i was really impressed with the pace of their left back (Bramall) Lightening quick acceleration and pace. Might be one to keep an eye on, especially if was to Pring move on over the summer. 

Sorry for going off topic.

• Like 3

I think he’s found his ‘home’ position now and it means we can play him & Cam together, which is a real bonus. 

Was a total free I think, as Brighton didn’t offer him a deal. Maybe Wimbledon playing proper hard ball for Currie was a bit of a blessing in the end. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cole Not Gas said:

I was sorry to see the footballing skills of Jay move to Coventry where he and Palmer have become two of the more consistent Sky Blues team. But yesterday's ball skills of Roberts makes me think this lad could be a real star for us next season. How much did he cost and do you see him playing in front or behind Pring?

The thing I like is that they can interchange . If Roberts bombs on, it's straight forward for Pring to sit. If we are in the position to, they link up well to give real width down the left. I really like their balance . 

Not sure the fee , I guess it was compensation as I think he was OOC but under 24 . Others might know more about how that works. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Roberts for me. But you know what, i was really impressed with the pace of their left back (Bramall) Lightening quick acceleration and pace. Might be one to keep an eye on, especially if was to Pring move on over the summer. 

I’ve always liked Bramhall (Lincoln days) but at 28 I think he’s probably the wrong age for us. Although as a Tommy Rowe type free you could see some sense.  At their place he caused us huge problems.  Yesterday, like last week versus McCallum, McCrorie did a job on him.  McCrorie may not be easy on the eye, but he’s a team player.  He completely constipated their left side! 

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I think he’s found his ‘home’ position now and it means we can play him & Cam together, which is a real bonus. 

Was a total free I think, as Brighton didn’t offer him a deal. Maybe Wimbledon playing proper hard ball silly buggers for Currie was a bit of a blessing in the end. 

Fixed

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Not sure ive seen a player that quick before. Would give Kyle Walker a run for his money too. 
Seemed a decent enough player but that pace is a huge asset if he was used, ( or able ) to play LWB. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Not sure ive seen a player that quick before. Would give Kyle Walker a run for his money too. 
Seemed a decent enough player but that pace is a huge asset if he was used, ( or able ) to play LWB. 

Yeah he was seriously quick. As my dad would say, "like shit off a shovel".

Roberts class yesterday , when he brought the ball down and lobbed it over the strikers head for himself to bring down was taking the piss.

One of those players that seems to have an extra couple of seconds than more than most on the pitch because of his touch.

• Like 6

Iirc when we signed him reports from Derby indicated that he was a very good left sided centre back, but a lot of us thought he would be best suited to the wing back slot due to his not being tall enough for a traditional central defender. 

However, given a run of games in his seemingly favoured position we can now see that the Derby fans were correct in their assessment about his capabilities as a central defender. He is classy and it shows that reading a game and using what's upstairs can more than compensate for a perceived deficiency. Just look at the great Bobby Moore. He lacked pace but more than made up for that with footballing nous. We look the biz with Roberts in his preferred position. 

• Like 2

I liked JD as an attacking wing back but defensively he was targeted due to his height. Roberts can play in a number of positions, is technically as good and more importantly has the physical build to defend 

Money well spent and a player who will only improve us going forward 

Hopefully Atkinson will be fit for the new season as I think we have some excellent young defensive players with the experience of Dickie & Naismith 

Our midfield next season is going to look pretty impressive with Bird coming in

If Twine is our target for No10 and we get a striker in who provides that pace & physicality then I’m fairly happy with what we could have in the squad for the new season 

4 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Roberts class yesterday , when he brought the ball down and lobbed it over the strikers head for himself to bring down was taking the piss.

One of those players that seems to have an extra couple of seconds than more than most on the pitch because of his touch.

He was indeed, excellent yesterday.

He even found some time & space for some showboating 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, INCRED said:

I liked JD as an attacking wing back but defensively he was targeted due to his height. Roberts can play in a number of positions, is technically as good and more importantly has the physical build to defend 

Money well spent and a player who will only improve us going forward 

Hopefully Atkinson will be fit for the new season as I think we have some excellent young defensive players with the experience of Dickie & Naismith 

Our midfield next season is going to look pretty impressive with Bird coming in

If Twine is our target for No10 and we get a striker in who provides that pace & physicality then I’m fairly happy with what we could have in the squad for the new season 

Until half the squad are injured 3 weeks not pre season 

10 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Roberts has really stepped up after some rather tentative early performances. You'd want him keeping his place next 

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

He looks to be a very astute signing, Pearson certainly had an eye for a player that is for sure 👏

Apart from cronick he brought some great players in

3 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Under Nige did not play much but also got a knock quite early on...he reminds me very much of Des Walker in his playing style... I am sure older members of the forum will remember him from Forest.  He is going to be a big player for us next season..

Whilst I was a fan of Nige I think he got it wrong with Roberts. He impressed me from the outset & I thought was harshly treated which nearly culminated in him leaving in January. I couldn't see a reason why we couldn't play him & Pring together & now they are. Credit to LM for restoring faith.

Roberts over JD all day long. The latter was a tidy/clever player but Roberts has more ability from what I've seen &, harsh as it might sound, JD's size will always restrict his progress.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

I was actually thinking the same! Was very impressed with him! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Never rated JD, too small so no good defensively, OK going forward

I would like to see Pring & Roberts switched, as I think Cam is the better defender and Roberts is better going forward, its a nice problem to have

Never rated him? He's a very decent footballer, but all about opinions I guess.

On 28/04/2024 at 11:15, shelts said:

What an astute signing . It wasn’t working out for the lad but now he looks class . Technically very gifted and uses his body well . Lots of room to improve loads more which will only benefit us . Super just super 

Reminds me of Geoff Merrick at his age