IGNORED

Formations v framework

Red Skin

I've posted links to these a few times.

Very interesting discussion from about 14 mins on how the full back role has changed between Gary Neville's day and how TAA plays the role now.  

TAA talks about the framework - as opposed to formation - that Liverpool play to that has structure but allows flexibility for him to move into midfield or push up wide dynamically as the game demands. 

What's clear is the team need to work as one, with players reading the game reacting to what's happens in game to maintain some of the principles Klopp want them to play to - in this instance the need to keep 4 players in midfield at all times.  

It highlights some of the decision making and understanding players now need in addition to technical ability and fitness to perform at the highest level.   You need ability, coachability and intelligence. 

Obviously lots to reflect on for us in terms of how Manning is changing the way we play.  I'm not suggesting he attempting to play heavy metal football here, but the work it must take imbedding his principles into the team so it becomes instinctive for everyone on the pitch to act as one.  It also highlights the attributes that we need to look for when recruiting players. 

AA comes across really well.  Very humble and thankful for how Klopp has helped as a player and a person. 

The interview with Anthony Gordon is a great one too.  He is one dedicated individual and went up in my estimation after listening to him talk about his preparation and dedication. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, I haven't yet watched this but I watched the Gordon one and like you was very impressed.

What you have to say brings me back to the view that the modern game is much less about positions and more about roles. E.g. the right backs available to England all have different profiles.

It's not quite the simple game people claim. If it ever was!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Thanks, I haven't yet watched this but I watched the Gordon one and like you was very impressed.

What you have to say brings me back to the view that the modern game is much less about positions and more about roles. E.g. the right backs available to England all have different profiles.

It's not quite the simple game people claim. If it ever was!

Yes, it is a very different game.  Neville basically admits he'd be hard pressed to play the role these days.

• Like 1