IGNORED

Phillips Is Poor

buanryoh

No one can doubt Phillips' shot stopping capability, but as soon as a ball goes into the box he's a lost man. 2 Against Bournemouth 2 against Swindon. Its not good enough. Phillips weakness is even more obvious now as we have no tall centre backs, such as Butler. IMO we need at least 2 defenders and A goalkeeper. Sort it out Tins, there is hope!

Everyone knows that we have been poor on set pieces for years now, now we know who's mostly to blame.

Guest Levster

absoulute ########!!

phillips is quality, its just that we cannot cope with defending set pieces, phillips did all he could today to push the ball away becasue no defenders was defending properly!

###### knows why he took robbo off he was playing awsome :cool:

absoulute ########!!

phillips is quality, its just that we cannot cope with defending set pieces, phillips did all he could today to push the ball away becasue no defenders was defending properly!

###### knows why he took robbo off he was playing awsome  :cool:

Phillips was shocking today both goals i think he should of done better with the first one he could of pushed it around rather than in and the 2nd one he should of come and claimed it was in the air for ages.

absoulute ########!!

###### knows why he took robbo off he was playing awsome  :cool:

Quality shot stopper yes, everytime the ball went in to our box phillips waited for about aminute before going for the ball, too dodgy. A good keeper commands his defense.

Goalkeeper is one area of the team which is OK.

The team selection was awefull today.

Swindon have two big strikers. It was crying out for Fortune playing today. Matt Hill was incapeable of marking his man.

The delivery for both Swindon goals was excellent. Stop knocking Philips our defenders are supposed to be marking and making things difficult for the attackers.

Why can't i knock our keeper when time after time we concede goals about 2 yards out, yes we got poo defense, yes Phillips is a brilliant shot stopper, the best in the Div perhaps, if u cant agree phillips is poor on balls in then area then ok, everyones got an opinion. I just cant help thinking if Phillips wasnt a Bristol boy he would be out by now, or at least challenged for his position.

Guest Neilio

At the end of the day we all know Phillips shot stoppin ability so there is no need for us to go on saying well hes good at it becuase its somthing we all know just like him not coming for crosses is his flaw.

But you have to ask yourself is shot stopping alone good enough for this standard?

Maybe it is but I think iv had enough of phillips scared to come out for the ball. I dont just blame him obvoiusly the defence has to do their job .

I wouldn't agree with the above statement that he is only there becuase hes from Bristol thats slgihtly harsh but i think maybe we do need someone presuring him for his posistion.

Its a hard one to call really...

If you have a game with loads of long shots and few crosses then we can come out of it really positive saying yes he saved us many of times on that match but then if your facing a team who just flood the box with crosses and Steve doesn't claim them, then we will all be moaning.

Every team in the division must know he doesn't come for crosses and are probrally instructed to put more crosses in than usuall...

Its a touch decision but I wouldn't say he should be left out of the team but we do need someone who can stand on his heels ...

The things is though, that i have to keep mentioning he is a class shot stopper because people like levster seem to think Phillips job is just to stop shots, not to claim anything in the box. Thats why they think i am actually critising his alround performance. Even though i say he is a good stopper levster and co dont seem to understance the role of a good keeper.

Granted he does need to command a lot more and i couldnt really see the 2nd goal from me seat in the atyeo so cant comment. First goal, terrible 'marking' if i can call it that and to be fair to him he couldnt do a lot else with it, if he pushes it out he puts it into the danger area and if he tries to put it over, as he did, we see what happens. Helpless on the first then.

What does annoy me is that everyone calls coles,hill,phillips etc. sh it. They are not, and this is shown by last season, sh it, they just have 2 main problems

1. they have no help at all from the kamikaze midfield, the lets all run forward for the ball mentality works at the park but not in league 1.

2. no-one knows where they are playing, obviously phillips knows hes in goal, the back 4 know where they play but not there roles or seemingly who/if to mark. The midfield, see above, and the front 2 static doesnt cover it, who would of thought we'd of missed Peacock but we do he'd run the channels and not stand still with his right arm raised (miller especially).

Everyone called for miller into the side but a combination of no service and lack of movement meant that i could of marked him and lita today on my own, and i play in goal!

I'm depressed and got a ticket for port vale before the game!!!!! Thank god i aint going tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted he does need to command a lot more and i couldnt really see the 2nd goal from me seat in the atyeo so cant comment. First goal, terrible 'marking' if i can call it that and to be fair to him he couldnt do a lot else with it, if he pushes it out he puts it into the danger area and if he tries to put it over, as he did, we see what happens. Helpless on the first then.

What does annoy me is that everyone calls coles,hill,phillips etc. sh it. They are not, and this is shown by last season, sh it, they just have 2 main problems

1. they have no help at all from the kamikaze midfield, the lets all run forward for the ball mentality works at the park but not in league 1.

2. no-one knows where they are playing, obviously phillips knows hes in goal, the back 4 know where they play but not there roles or seemingly who/if to mark. The midfield, see above, and the front 2 static doesnt cover it, who would of thought we'd of missed Peacock but we do he'd run the channels and not stand still with his right arm raised (miller especially).

Everyone called for miller into the side but a combination of no service and lack of movement meant that i could of marked him and lita today on my own, and i play in goal!

I'm depressed and got a ticket for port vale before the game!!!!! Thank god i aint going tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think Coles is a good player, but does anyone think Hill might be a tad too small for a defender? Hill's alright, hoofs the ball in the air bit too much though. The main point of this post is really that i think Phillips needs competition and then perhaps he will improve with set pieces etc, I know out defense is alot to blaim as well, but most of the goals seem to be in the 6th yard box, not further out in the box.

I thought miller did an alright job today, he did what he coudl with the service i think. Keep miller in teh team.

The problem isnt the defence its the fact no one organises them in training/on the pitch.

Bring back butler, and we will still be the same just marginally better.

I'm not disagreeing but have u seen training with your own eyes and does this really happen? becuase i cant believe a league 1 team wouldnt practice this in training

I'm not disagreeing but have u seen training with your own eyes and does this really happen? becuase i cant believe a league 1 team wouldnt practice this in training

Fair point but how difficult is it to watch a man and follow him? if e beats you in the air then fair enough but to give him space be it 2 or 20 yards is unforgiveable as the first goal was today. Wilson used to harp on about how much work they did on organising at set pieces bu we didnt see that on the pitch.

I know people will hate this and the fans of smth will be out but we miss carey a lot. He gave us a good right bsck defensively and at times attacking wise.

Also i bet smith is on more money than carey was offered!

Used to support the right sided midfielder a lot better, hopefully that aspect will improve in future. Butler/Fortune will give you your towering ball winner in the air. Maybe limitations elsewhere, but ball winners never the less with Butler, an elderly gent spent 5 minutes glowing about Fortune and how the ball seems to come to him and his distribution etc.

Back on topic, yes, competition may be good, but no keeper is perfect and no keeper doesnt make mistakes.

Fair point but how difficult is it to watch a man and follow him? if e beats you in the air then fair enough but to give him space be it 2 or 20 yards is unforgiveable as the first goal was today. Wilson used to harp on about how much work they did on organising at set pieces bu we didnt see that on the pitch.

I know people will hate this and the fans of smth will be out but we miss carey a lot. He gave us a good right bsck defensively and at times attacking wise.

Also i bet smith is on more money than carey was offered!

I too feel the effects of the departure of Carey, i dont like to talk about ifs, but if carey had stayed i;m sure we would be alot safer at the back than we are, even though no of us would notice. I guess alot of people took carey for granted. I think we need to find away to get Fortune, Coles and Butler in defense. Possibly drop Hill.

I think we need to find away to get Fortune, Coles and Butler in defense. Possibly drop Hill.

Not sure if you went to Bournemouth but i went and thought fortune was woeful he looked scared to touch the ball and his positioning was terrible he is young and still learning yes but he cant learn in the first team in important games.

I rate hill yes he is small but he has pace and a desire to do well that few in the club do. I know passion doesnt make a player but he has improved and his distribution is getting slightly better.

Not sure if you went to Bournemouth but i went and thought fortune was woeful he looked scared to touch the ball and his positioning was terrible he is young and still learning yes but he cant learn in the first team in important games.

I rate hill yes he is small but he has pace and a desire to do well that few in the club do. I know passion doesnt make a player but he has improved and his distribution is getting slightly better.

Perhaps tinion is playing him in teh wrong position, wouldnt surprise me. Was he Central defense, i always though he best position would be a Viera type position, Defensive mid, but covering the whole of the pitch.

Centre back he isnt a viera type, wilson got carried away, he looks like an average player who happens to be 6 foot 7, so we notice him

Alot of people will probably feel the same, but he really impressed me against torquay, nice little touches, covered the pitch well, needs experience though. He'll be class one day I'm sure of it.

Guest dez_gimred
Phillips is poor

Show him the door

But please first get rid of

Bradley ######g Orr!

do you have a clue? umm no..

dont start coming on here singing ####

Listen to yourselves. Complaining and moaning about one of the best goalkeepers in our division and the best last season. The excellent saves he made at the Torquay game ensured that we walked away with a point and shows what quality he is.

Phillips was not personally responsible for letting in any of the goals, the whole team were. The team were dissorgansied and personally I thought Swindon today were the better of the two teams, they seemed to know what they were doing and where they were going.

Rooted to his line for the first goal when the ball was headed from about 4 to 5 yards from goal, he has to get out for any crosses in the 6 yd box, but he has always been very suspect on coming out to claim the ball when it is in the air. Had a very good view of the first from the Atyeo, and he should have gonefor the cross, 2nd goal no opinion as yet, will reserve judgement until l see it on the box.We have been looking for a big target man, Swindon signed one yesterday and he scored two goals today, where have we been looking? :grr:

Archived