IGNORED

Liam Rosenior Sacked

This feels a bit like LJ in 19/20.

Promised playoffs if he was allowed money.  Didn’t achieve.  Got sacked.

Don't get me wrong feels harsh, but that can be the nature of the business at some clubs.

In terms of Rosenior I don’t think he concentrated enough on defence.  I loved some of his attacking patterns, but we carved them apart twice this season at times, once with each manager.

• Like 3

Granted with the team he ended up with he probably should’ve made playoffs but the team they had first half of the season wasn’t as strong as that.

I think it’s harsh but maybe they’re looking at it as they’ll have a lot of money in for Philogene and Greaves, they possibly don’t trust him to spend that and get them where they want to be?

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Not surprised. Some big players there and not to make play offs must of been disappointing.

Wouldnt mind him down the gate in the future!

I wouldn’t want him back. He left in less than harmonious circumstances. Later a City manager (forget who it was) arranged for him to come to Ashton Gate to discuss re-signing and he just didn’t bother to turn up, but joked about it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

He underachieved with the resources available and knew his remit and the outcome if it didn't happen. Not necessarily promotion but play-offs minimum. Not to say it's all his fault because I think the owner is playing football manager with the recruitment. Spending big money on the big names which is risky and doesn't guarantee success in this league.

The talk about he'd be good here is strange. He's not done anything YET that would prove he'd be any good for us. He could be but I'm not convinced so far.

A bit of Devil's Advocate from me here but he's done far more than Liam Manning has or had done.

A bit of context could be factored in that he was at Derby during difficult times and took over at Hull when they were struggling. Then some money got chucked at the project and then finishing outside top 6 deemed not good enough. Football is a weird and wonderful business!

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Failed at a club who chucked money at promotion.

Did really well at Derby when they didn't have resources.

Think he's potentially a better "coach" than "manager"

Derby will have still had one of the bigger budgets at the level laat season, restricted due to their past disaster but level for level, up there for sure. He was possibly harshly sacked there.

Could have been a clash over budgets for this season as well as a perceived missing objective, probably varied factors at play.

18 minutes ago, Malago said:

Don’t like Rosenior, don’t like Hull, don’t really care.

Got to agree. Never really took to him.

Surprised how well thought of he seems to be on here, 20 odd games for City over 20 years ago in the 3rd tier and iirc left the club as soon as he could.

Seems to be an 'OK' manager, if a bit full of himself.

Wouldn't want him here.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

How are Hull doing with FFP compliance? @Mr Popodopolous

My own view fwiw was that their big crunch woukd be to 2025-26 as a) A low cost base was inherited b) Revenue would rise as excitement and tbh getting rid of the Allams kick in c) Selling Lewis-potter for £15-20m would minimise issues for next year and when that drops off there is a major hole.

That said their splurge in Janaury, Acun Ilicali the owner has seemed a man in a real hurry since Day One really. To say nothing of their income increasing by a few million in 2022-23 but wages by £11-12m?? Other costs probably up too.

Screenshot_20240507-171614_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.436cb15d95c2fb21d3f58ac912db47cb.jpgScreenshot_20240507-171558_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.d2f97472d8748095604291bfb79a8742.jpg

Then there is the matter of, new owners take note- of losses fall between £xm and £ym in 3 years, clubs must by 31st March submit their next 2 years Financial Forecasts to the League. Strongly suspect Hull would now be caught by this. Preventing a breach before it happens, which in practice means forward looking monitoring.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

He owed the club nothing imo.

Even "legends like Carey and Murray left the club at the time.

Can't blame him, he wanted to play in the Premier League.

He was never going to get that here as long as he had a hole in his you know where.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Can't blame him, he wanted to play in the Premier League.

He was never going to get that here as long as he had a hole in his you know where.

Yeah and as I recall the club forgot to offer terms in time to maximise the fee.

• Like 1

I like Liam Rosenior, he comes across as a very intelligent young man, always enjoyed listening to his analysis when he was a tv pundit. Could be wrong but I reckon he will have a good career as a coach. But ultimately Hull missed out on the playoffs and he’s paid the price. Brutal business 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Granted with the team he ended up with he probably should’ve made playoffs but the team they had first half of the season wasn’t as strong as that.

I think it’s harsh but maybe they’re looking at it as they’ll have a lot of money in for Philogene and Greaves, they possibly don’t trust him to spend that and get them where they want to be?

Odd choice to give him a new contract though if it was play-offs or bust?

Surely you'd wait till the end of the season.

Maybe money isn't a worry for the owner

10 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I like Liam Rosenior, he comes across as a very intelligent young man, always enjoyed listening to his analysis when he was a tv pundit. Could be wrong but I reckon he will have a good career as a coach. But ultimately Hull missed out on the playoffs and he’s paid the price. Brutal business 

He'd be more suited to the technical director role than Tinnion is. 

44 minutes ago, Markthehorn said:

Maybe money isn't a worry for the owner

Seems not to be, he has made a number of proclamations since buying Hull..

*He would spend double if he could.

*He wants to compete with Parachute clubs financially but FFP doesn't allow owners to.

*He doesn't mind losing/throwing away money since he used to have very little.

However this all kicks in against their FFP limit and the Fixed Asset loophole is no more, among some others.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Two questions really

Did he agree some stipulation of needing to hit play offs for funds in January

or

Did he have an owner who pushed players on him in January because the owner was obsessed about making play offs because he (owner) had pushed players on Rosenior with his determination to pump in funds and double the wage bill. 

Wonder what Tinnion and Rosenior's relationship is like having played together. If all is good between the pair I wouldn't be surprised down the line. Part of me wonders if Sunderland would take him if they haven't approached Will Still, also curious timing of Rosenior's sacking and Still's departure from Reims. 

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Yeah and as I recall the club forgot to offer terms in time to maximise the fee.

That's how I remember it. Looked a great prospect , scored the Pen at QPR to win a shoot out in the Johnsons Paint, then again in the Final . Not surprised he wasn't impressed as a youngster who must have thought he had done enough to warrant a new contract and be ignored ( forgotten) . More amateurish behaviour by the Club. 

I thought , when he was on TV even before his first Managers stint , he spoke well and had all the tools to be a Manager. I think you have a good point @Lrrr , we don't know if he wanted those particular players so for me he's another one I'd like to see more of before I'd say bring him here.