IGNORED

Tonights Playoff games.

Evidently, Steve Lansdown has been in both dressing rooms at both Carrow Road and The Hawthorns saying that as a fan he wants to see the excitement of  penalty shoot outs to determine who contests the Championship Play Off Final at Wembley.

Edited by handsofclay

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

I get it but James who i think has been excellent for us is 33 in July and it’s a big ask to offer two years or more on his top wages which I think is what he would have wanted, we also don’t know what the internal discussions have been , eg James said two years at least and maybe has offers in the bag so never got beyond that 

33 years old is that old for a footballer still think James has two more years left in him avoiding injuries of course hence why he's looking for 2 years. Stays fit he will be a quality addition for someone.

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Play offs should be one off games.

5th at home to 6th, winner away to 4th, winner plays 3rd at Wembley.

I like that.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Lots of ifs, buts and maybes……you are right, we don’t know how conversations went or whether someone just wanted him out full stop and there were none. It’s one of those where I would have been happy if he stayed but wouldn’t break the bank to keep him either.

The point now is that Tinnion has some very decent wedge available to him to recruit players that will help Manning. Let’s see what we get instead of James, King and Andi……………..

My guess is:

• Bird for James
  • Murphy for King
  • Stokes for Weimann

All sorted! 👀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Street red said:

33 years old is that old for a footballer still think James has two more years left in him avoiding injuries of course hence why he's looking for 2 years. Stays fit he will be a quality addition for someone.

The compromise for me would’ve been a 1+1 deal, something like 25+ apps triggers the new deal (on players side).

Thats not to say he’d accept it.

Maybe that’s what we offered.  Maybe we offered him nothing - as Tinnion has been open re everything else, why would we think any differently?

Someone is gonna a get a good, senior pro next season, and I fully expect that to be a Championship club.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The compromise for me would’ve been a 1+1 deal, something like 25+ apps triggers the new deal (on players side).

Maybe that’s what we offered.  Maybe we offered him nothing - as Tinnion has been open re everything else, why would we think any differently?

Someone is gonna a get a good, senior pro next season, and I fully expect that to be a Championship club.

I honestly hope we offered him something but i do wonder if we actually offered him anything due to the fact bird is incoming. Like you say a 1+1 would be perfect obviously acceptance from the player but for the club itself would be ideal keeps the experience we need without costing alot.

I'm pretty sure it will be the championship for him next season and watch with interest to which club that will be. Best of luck to him but I'm also disappointed.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Two legs = Twice the revenue. 
This is why your excellent ideal will never come to pass. 

Quite agree, Major. I had that same idea back in the late 1980s when the play offs started as it is fairer to the teams with regards to where they finish in the league. The higher one finishes the more help in the play offs one receives.

However, in the 35+ years since I used to advocate that I have had much time to reflect and reach the conclusion that the set up we currently have is the best. It's why it has remained without being tweaked for so long. The only tweak occured after the first couple of years when the team in the lowest position just above the automatic relegation spots in the division above were no longer included.

If, for instance, the team finishing third automatically get to Wembley to play a one off winner takes all match against one who has triumphed over two others, it rewards failure. Missing out on automatic promotion should be gutting as in Leeds case this season but if the fans are then consoled by the fact they'll be going to Wembley and have about three weeks to prepare for that one match during which time their opponents might well have had to slog through two life or death matches to meet them, incurring possible injuries along the way they might actually think the jobs a good un and be sort of glad they did just miss out as they can now go up in one match at the home of football in a blaze of glory.

As the Major states, there would be fewer matches so less revenue and the play offs become a mini competition in which every team starts on a fairly equal footing (except the higher team play the home leg second so any extra time is at their place), thus the two winners are two teams who have won their way to the final not made it there simply by losing out on second spot on the final day of the season. Thus two teams that won ties against top sides to get there. Not two teams, one of which might in theory have lost its last 5 games to drop out of the top two. Hardly box office appeal stuff.

Just because the first two matches today were as dull as ditchwater it doesn't mean the play offs need an overhaul. Our first tie at Palace in our Championship play off season was an exciting 2-1 win for us and the second game was also an engrossing affair. Beware of swapping a winning formula for something a lot worse.

Edited by handsofclay

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That didn’t work well for Andi Weimann. I suspect Mr Tinnion Mr Lansdown and Mr Manning will have a problem selling that one again. 

• Like 2