IGNORED

From where did football club names come?

May be an interesting listen.

On Radio 4 at half three today (Thursday) for half an hour.

Sounds link below for after broadcast.

Football Club Names

Word of Mouth

Dominic Fifield explains how football clubs got their names, uncovering a fascinating social history behind the Wanderers, Wednesdays and Villas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001yxl3

Don't blame me if it's terrible, I haven't heard it either!

Though Word of Mouth is consistently good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)

Decent listen.

One of which I wasn't aware was that Welsh side Total Net Solutions had to change its name, because it could no longer be named after a company, and picked The New Saints.

They won the Welsh Premier league by an enormous margin this year, I wonder why they don't apply for the English league.

Edit: I wasn't aware quite how many many names have an unclear origin, such as why Plymouth picked Argyle, this was a new team set up by two Cornish men as a rival to the existing Plymouth City (I think that's what they said) and various names were considered before selecting Argyle.

Edited by Eddie Hitler
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Decent listen.

One of which I wasn't aware was that Welsh side Total Net Solutions had to change its name, because it could no longer be named after a company, and picked The New Saints.

They won the Welsh Premier league by an enormous margin this year, I wonder why they don't apply for the English league.

Edit: I wasn't aware quite how many many names have an unclear origin, such as why Plymouth picked Argyle, this was a new team set up by two Cornish men as a rival to the existing Plymouth City (I think that's what they said) and various names were considered before selecting Argyle.

There’s a bit of audio from a English reporter , when tns won the league he said there be dancing in the streets of tns tonight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Glen hump said:

There’s a bit of audio from a English reporter , when tns won the league he said there be dancing in the streets of tns tonight.

That was Jeff Stelling if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Why Port Vale when they are so far away from any “Port” ?

Isn't the Trent navigable up to Stoke? I think there possibly was a port somewhere near there at some point in time. Like how there were once ports down on the levels on Somerset.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Why Port Vale when they are so far away from any “Port” ?

It's something to do with the house where the original directors formed the club , it was called Port Vale house. A bit like Fairport Convention were formed in Simon Nicol's house named Fairport Lodge ( not sure who was formed first, mind 😄).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

It's something to do with the house where the original directors formed the club , it was called Port Vale house. A bit like Fairport Convention were formed in Simon Nicol's house named Fairport Lodge ( not sure who was formed first, mind 😄).

Bloody hell Slarti , if you're turning this thread into a Fairport history this could run for ages!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

Bloody hell Slarti , if you're turning this thread into a Fairport history this could run for ages!!!

Certainly could, it was Simon Nicol's parents house in Muswell Hill, N London. Up for sale last year for around £6 million.

A little known fact is that Richard Thompson went to school in the same area with Hugh Cornwell of Stranglers fame and they were in a band together pre Fairport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Enclosure Old Timer said:

I think it will run forever…. In fact “who knows where the time goes” when you disappear into an OTIB rabbit hole. 

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

May be an interesting listen.

On Radio 4 at half three today (Thursday) for half an hour.

Sounds link below for after broadcast.

Football Club Names

Word of Mouth

Dominic Fifield explains how football clubs got their names, uncovering a fascinating social history behind the Wanderers, Wednesdays and Villas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001yxl3

Don't blame me if it's terrible, I haven't heard it either!

Though Word of Mouth is consistently good.

Thanks for sharing. OTIB goes all Radio 4, I love it!!  I often listen to Word of Mouth. Michael Rosen is an excellent writer, poet, presenter. Worth listening to a few more, if you enjoyed this one (IMO!). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Certainly could, it was Simon Nicol's parents house in Muswell Hill, N London. Up for sale last year for around £6 million.

A little known fact is that Richard Thompson went to school in the same area with Hugh Cornwell of Stranglers fame and they were in a band together pre Fairport.

Still for sale, been reduced to £4.3m 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/137254526?utm_campaign=property-details&utm_content=buying&utm_medium=sharing&utm_source=copytoclipboard#/&channel=RES_BUY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

just sorted the loose change in my pocket and might go for this 🤑

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Fairport Trivia #2

i used to see a lot of bands at Essex University in the late 1960s - The Who, Pink Floyd, Bluesbreakers etc, one was Fairport Convention and I read years later that while they were waiting to go on they drew on a blackboard in the room they were using as their dressing room. The next day they hurriedly sent a photographer there before it got rubbed off and it appeared as the cover of What We Did On Our Holidays.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Richard Head said:

Fairport Trivia #2

i used to see a lot of bands at Essex University in the late 1960s - The Who, Pink Floyd, Bluesbreakers etc, one was Fairport Convention and I read years later that while they were waiting to go on they drew on a blackboard in the room they were using as their dressing room. The next day they hurriedly sent a photographer there before it got rubbed off and it appeared as the cover of What We Did On Our Holidays.

Wow, that's pretty damn good for a doodle.

fairport-convention.jpeg

Also Fairport were the band "Metamorphoses" in the free concert in the church during Who Dares Win, the Lewis Collins film.

• Like 4