IGNORED

From where did football club names come?

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Dunno if its true, but a Blackpool fan told me the town coined the name, because the whole place was a black cess pitt of a pool, not much has changed I thought 

Blackpool is a fairly common place name, Dublin means the same in Irish as does Poldark (half Cornish pol = pool / half English dark) and the various versions of Lindow in Welsh and British (as opposed to English) generally.

Come on Mods how non-football do we need to go here? 🏐:farmer: 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

A team we crossed swords with fisher athletic were formed for the underprivileged youth of bermondsey, and went by the nickname the martyrs! Wouldn't have fancied playing them much

Played against them at their place in an FA cup qualifying round back in the early 80s when they were a formidable non league team.

Your right in saying you wouldn't have fancied playing them and we didn't!

As intimidating as their team was, it was nothing compared to their supporters who all appeared to be 6'+ 18 stone dockers.

I think we got out if our half 3/4 times all match and from one break unaccountably scored the winner.

I think it was the quickest we ever got out of the showers and into the coach!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Certainly could, it was Simon Nicol's parents house in Muswell Hill, N London. Up for sale last year for around £6 million.

Only a few hundred yards from the house Ray and Dave Davies grew up in. Also not far from the flat where the Incredible String Band lived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

There's a Blackpool Sands between Dartmouth and Slapton.

And when ambulance call centres were made central as part of some ill thought out economy drive by the government there were a couple of instances of them being sent to the Golden Mile when they should have been in South Devon. They soon changed it back to regional.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2024 at 00:27, fgrsimon said:

Certainly could, it was Simon Nicol's parents house in Muswell Hill, N London. Up for sale last year for around £6 million.

A little known fact is that Richard Thompson went to school in the same area with Hugh Cornwell of Stranglers fame and they were in a band together pre Fairport.

I knew that !

On 10/05/2024 at 01:00, Mendip City said:

Thanks for sharing. OTIB goes all Radio 4, I love it!!  I often listen to Word of Mouth. Michael Rosen is an excellent writer, poet, presenter. Worth listening to a few more, if you enjoyed this one (IMO!). 

You would have thought with a name like Rosen, he would have supported the other north London side ?

23 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Wow, that's pretty damn good for a doodle.

fairport-convention.jpeg

Also Fairport were the band "Metamorphoses" in the free concert in the church during Who Dares Win, the Lewis Collins film.

Enough already with the Fairport thing, you'll end up going down a rabbit hole with no escape, just ask Enclosure Oldtimer !

BTW, always loved the chalk drawing of Richard Thompson, done to a tee !

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, downendcity said:

Played against them at their place in an FA cup qualifying round back in the early 80s when they were a formidable non league team.

Your right in saying you wouldn't have fancied playing them and we didn't!

As intimidating as their team was, it was nothing compared to their supporters who all appeared to be 6'+ 18 stone dockers.

I think we got out if our half 3/4 times all match and from one break unaccountably scored the winner.

I think it was the quickest we ever got out of the showers and into the coach!

The most apprehensive I've ever been before a game. No away tickets were allowed ( Beryl got us about half a dozen). We remained silent through the whole game, think Jasper Carrot's first visit to Old Trafford........"Yep" !

They used to take the piss out of local rivals Millwall, "oh look, here they come mincing down the road"........they were THAT hard !:boxing:🤣