IGNORED

How long have you been on here?

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Ah!…….that makes sense. My profile also say October 2003 as well but it seems longer than that.

There have been several upgrades to otib over the years and I’d forgotten that we had to re-register all those years ago so I’m the same as you Nogbad - 20+ years

October 2003 was when the forum changed so it will be longer if you were on the old forum.

For instance I remember I'd decided not to go the Wembley final v Stoke in 2000 but the night before the match a couple of tickets were advertised on here and I thought I would take my then 9 year old son after all.

Drove across Bristol late in the evening to pick up the tickets and when I got home saw they had 'complimentary' stamped on them - didn't matter to me, especially as it turned out the seats were directly next to the Royal Box with a great view, and Mick McCarthy sat next to us!

So I was definitely on here in 2000, and I wasn't a 'newbie' then either. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This is a great forum but this, and the internet generally, had more joyful silliness back in the 90s, and I don't remember any trolls, WUMs, or relentlessly negative posters.

Though that could be just because there were fewer of us so you sort of knew everyone.

I think the trolls were still there, just different! 

I reckon people forget how hard it was to find anything on the internet back then. Search engines were crap so you got a lot less random or not interested people appearing. 

Lots of big communities into the 00s were around other sites rather than just a forum - fark, ebaums world, somethingawful (my account there is even older... And they charged you £10 to sign up!). 4chan is a pretty notable exception - but that came from somethingawful from memory 

It was a wild west though, it's very different now for sure.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

October 2003 was when the forum changed so it will be longer if you were on the old forum.

For instance I remember I'd decided not to go the Wembley final v Stoke in 2000 but the night before the match a couple of tickets were advertised on here and I thought I would take my then 9 year old son after all.

Drove across Bristol late in the evening to pick up the tickets and when I got home saw they had 'complimentary' stamped on them - didn't matter to me, especially as it turned out the seats were directly next to the Royal Box with a great view, and Mick McCarthy sat next to us!

I went to Stoke Wembley final as well - lost 1-0 iirc

i was on otib with the previous ‘old fashioned’ message board..

An old poster richieb introduced me to  this forum. He no longer posts - moved Scotland with his work I think.

Shame TomF no longer posts - I’m sure he’d have the history of this forum 

Bloody hell this is an interesting thread, makes for a fantastic Saturday morning read.

I'm sure i'm almost 20 years, first joined when I worked in the boring insurance call centres at RSA and this helped pass the hours!

I also worked in the same office then as Matt Withers!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I went to Stoke Wembley final as well - lost 1-0 iirc

i was on otib with the previous ‘old fashioned’ message board..

An old poster richieb introduced me to  this forum. He no longer posts - moved Scotland with his work I think.

Shame TomF no longer posts - I’m sure he’d have the history of this forum 

Yep that game was my first ever visit to Wembley, sad to have lost.

Ah, so moving to Scotland is one of the ways to escape the clutches of Otib! 

Another migrant from Ole’s wonderful forum some 17 years ago. 

Have 6,000+ posts and a 6,000+ ‘Community Reputation’ (whatever that is) so would seem to reflect the Club’s mediocracy perfectly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Another migrant from Ole’s wonderful forum some 17 years ago. 

Have 6,000+ posts and a 6,000+ ‘Community Reputation’ (whatever that is) so would seem to reflect the Club’s mediocracy perfectly.

I think it’s the number of reactions you’ve had. Dont know if it only counts the positive ones (ie you don’t get your reputation “enhanced” by facepalms).

There is a ranking system somewhere and I’m pretty sure Fevs has the highest reputation

24 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Bloody hell this is an interesting thread, makes for a fantastic Saturday morning read.

I'm sure i'm almost 20 years, first joined when I worked in the boring insurance call centres at RSA and this helped pass the hours!

Did Matt relentless support the management at RSA, even when they cut short lunch breaks, introduced mandatory overtime, didn’t perform in line with stock market expectations and generally gave a shit working environment? It’d be in character.

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

If we're playing Matt Withers top trumps, I went to school with him & worked at SunAlliance/RSA with him for 12 years.

• Haha 2

Like many October 2003, seem to remember we had a different forum before then, but maybe that's just age / mind playing tricks on me.

Whilst I do enjoy the forum and different view points and visit daily, I have been the closest I have ever been to closing my account and not bothering due to the bitching, negativity and certain people I know will facepalm my posts just because it me, but then realise I would miss it so stick with it.

Seems we loose track of we are all city fans and want the same thing!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You mean Prince Mick surely

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Like many October 2003, seem to remember we had a different forum before then, but maybe that's just age / mind playing tricks on me.

Whilst I do enjoy the forum and different view points and visit daily, I have been the closest I have ever been to closing my account and not bothering due to the bitching, negativity and certain people I know will facepalm my posts just because it me, but then realise I would miss it so stick with it.

Seems we loose track of we are all city fans and want the same thing!

Know the feeling.  If I get a facepalm I know who it is before even looking. Generally though I enjoy being on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Batman said:

Dr F. The token gashead. That is going back a long way. 

Barry_Manc was another.  Think he may still post under a different name.

• Like 1

I remember getting our first internet connection at home in late 1999, so signed up then - so my 25th anniversary coming up.  The main talk at the time was how poor we were under Pulis, and then him being headhunted by Portsmouth!   

I remember posters from that time included Percy Parrot, RedTop, Ted Pitman (now NTTDS) and Exiled in Watford. Not to mention Bristol Boy (Ian Gay IIRC). And Madger as per previous post.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember getting our first internet connection at home in late 1999, so signed up then - so my 25th anniversary coming up.  The main talk at the time was how poor we were under Pulis, and then him being headhunted by Portsmouth!   

I remember posters from that time included Percy Parrot, RedTop, Ted Pitman (now NTTDS) and Exiled in Watford. Not to mention Bristol Boy (Ian Gay IIRC). And Madger as per previous post.

MaloneFM was another. Then of course who will forget Giles and his love affair !!! (see "Hiya I'm new here" in archive)

Edited by BigTone

2 hours ago, TDarwall said:

If we're playing Matt Withers top trumps, I went to school with him & worked at SunAlliance/RSA with him for 12 years.

I probably saw you around from time to time!  I was there for ten years until the main office closed.  But alas, never went to school with him!

October 25th 2003, but I first started on an early version of OTIB around the time of Benny Lennartsson, so 1998/99. You didn't even have to sign in, just entered a user name every time.

Some may remember my friend Kustard, who was a prolific poster at that time but retired early as the forum was taking over her life! Still goes to City games though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I go back to Rivals, @Olé's excellent Netcentre, Adabilladaturfup, Ziderheads, Rivals, especially Two View, and I think the earliest was a CityRovers board on a BT address.

Oh and if course the great day when Ian someone proudly launched the official Rovers forum and it was absolutely inundated with people having a laugh because he failed to put any controls in place, "Dennis Bergkamp" was a prominent first day poster.

He became totally wound up by what had happened to his forum and posted "You stupid, stupid people".

Hilarious 😄

This is a great forum but this, and the internet generally, had more joyful silliness back in the 90s, and I don't remember any trolls, WUMs, or relentlessly negative posters.

Though that could be just because there were fewer of us so you sort of knew everyone.

I remember all of those, plus the excellent CybeReds. An even earlier forerunner of Two View was the imaginatively titled Second Division Message Board, which was one of many forums hosted on a site called InsideTheWeb. 

There was also a "Football Fans' Punk Rock Message Board" hosted by a Gillingham lad going by the name of London Calling. I was on there along with @harry may (known at the time as Red Alert) and probably where I invented my user name from the song Clash City Rockers. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I probably saw you around from time to time!  I was there for ten years until the main office closed.  But alas, never went to school with him!

I was at Kings Orchard from 1988 - 2000.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

How is The Giant Turnip these days ?