IGNORED

Thank you Jamo

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Who is going to be first choice then- or who would have been 

Bird is, will be good but still has it to prove.

The shape is flawed, we're going nowhere fast.

So the shape is wrong

What shape would you play and why

Just now, Maltshoveller said:

So the shape is wrong

What shape would you play and why

4-3-3 ish. 

I'm slightly biased towards it as a setup, it is more clearly defined, more cover in wide areas and the middle, we clearly played towards and were built towards it between January and end of October last year.

One of my critiques is that a back 3 with wingbacks if you can pin them back then the side are bang in trouble.

We have changed shape seemingly after all the stuff of last October.

16 hours ago, JAWS said:

I think most people who say we should've re-signed him are stuck in non-ambitious mode because that is what we are used to and it's difficult to imagine an ambitious Bristol City.

If we want promotion like the lansdowns say we do then, as others have said above, I don't think he's a player that a top six side would sign.  

HOWEVER, despite what the hierarchy say I don't believe we are ambitious and I don't believe we will have a top six side come August.

Happy to be proved wrong, just basing my pessimism on the past evidence.

So maybe we should've signed him for another year. :laugh:

Do you think that West Brom weren't showing ambition when they signed Weimann?

Or just smart?

47 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

4-3-3 ish. 

I'm slightly biased towards it as a setup, it is more clearly defined, more cover in wide areas and the middle, we clearly played towards and were built towards it between January and end of October last year.

One of my critiques is that a back 3 with wingbacks if you can pin them back then the side are bang in trouble.

We have changed shape seemingly after all the stuff of last October.

I’ve never understood how fans, who I assume don’t have coaching badges, who don’t see the players week in week out, and don’t know the specifics of what actually goes on in the club can say, with such confidence, the formation they would play. Find it bizzare.

18 minutes ago, Jobi said:

I’ve never understood how fans, who I assume don’t have coaching badges, who don’t see the players week in week out, and don’t know the specifics of what actually goes on in the club can say, with such confidence, the formation they would play. Find it bizzare.

Because just like a pro manager, they have their own thoughts and philosophies on how they’d play the game, or how they’d play the game with the players they have available to them.

Mr P isn’t gonna rock up at the HPC tomorrow and get the chance to implement his thoughts, but he can be as bullish as he wants about his thoughts on OTIB (or any other platform).  It’s kinda the point of OTIB, etc, isn’t it.  You carry on @Mr Popodopolous with your 433.  One day, one day! 😉

And sometimes football is so insular, it can miss the obvious, or it can get a fresh perspective on things from the outside world, it doesn’t have to be “if you’ve not played the game” Danny Murphy type bollocks.

To be honest, our current head-coach thinks it’s a good idea to play Mark Sykes at LWB, how does that ratify his skills? Slightly tongue in cheek, but a semblance of WTAF also.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

Just now, Davefevs said:

Because just like a pro manager, they have their own thoughts and philosophies on how they’d play the game, or how they’d play the game with the players they have available to them.

Mr P isn’t gonna rock up at the HPC tomorrow and get the chance to implement his thoughts, but he can be as bullish as he wants about his thoughts on OTIB (or any other platform).  It’s kinda the point of OTIB, etc, isn’t it.  You carry on @Mr Popodopolous with your 433.  One day, one day! 😉

And sometimes football is so insular, it can miss the obvious, or it can get a fresh perspective on things from the outside world, it doesn’t have to be “if you’ve not played the game” Danny Murphy type bollocks.

To be honest, our current head-coach thinks it’s a good idea to play Mark Sykes at LWB, how does that ratify his skills? Slightly tongue in cheek, but a semblance of WTAF also.

You for manager @Davefevs I reckon..only if Manning goes of course but your scouting, use of data off your own bat- well it would be intriguing.

36 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Coaching badges are one thing but okay and players are another but a basic reading..

3-5-2 vs 4-3-3.

Your 2 v 1 can really pin baxk the wingbacks. Wide forward plus attacking fullback.

3 v 3 in central areas.

If you can get the service to the 2 strikers, 2 CBs can match up- if an attacking mid one can drop back but 2 CBs can assist v the lone striker.

Wingbacks are intetgal often to the 3-5-2.

Pulling across to even the score 2 v 1 wise can leave 3 v 2 in the centre and exposed again.

Overloading, flooding key areas.

3-4-3 vs 4-3-3

2 v 1 in wide areas is less of a concern but 2 v 3 in central areas can also become 6 v 5 or 4 v 5 and unless the spare man is very good another tactical dilemma.

Wide man or wide striker tucks in, you then have 2 v 1 to exploit on one flank and a possible imbalance to boot.

Coaching badges? No. I watch or have watched a lot of football however, as we all have- not just English League but other Leagues- there is no perfect setup but I have reservations about the back 3 as it stands.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You for manager @Davefevs I reckon..only if Manning goes of course but your scouting, use of data off your own bat- well it would be intriguing.

No ta…there’s some nasty people on OTIB, and I’m a sensitive soul! 🤣

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Coaching badges are one thing but okay and players are another but a basic reading..

3-5-2 vs 4-3-3.

Your 2 v 1 can really pin baxk the wingbacks. Wide forward plus attacking fullback.

3 v 3 in central areas.

If you can get the service to the 2 strikers, 2 CBs can match up- if an attacking mid one can drop back but 2 CBs can assist v the lone striker.

Wingbacks are intetgal often to the 3-5-2.

Pulling across to even the score 2 v 1 wise can leave 3 v 2 in the centre and exposed again.

Overloading, flooding key areas.

3-4-3 vs 4-3-3

2 v 1 in wide areas is less of a concern but 2 v 3 in central areas can also become 6 v 5 or 4 v 5 and unless the spare man is very good another tactical dilemma.

Wide man or wide striker tucks in, you then have 2 v 1 to exploit on one flank and a possible imbalance to boot.

Coaching badges? No. I watch or have watched a lot of football however, as we all have- not just English League but other Leagues- there is no perfect setup but I have reservations about the back 3 as it stands.

Pros and cons to every formation. 

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When we played Cardiff Nige played Sykes LWB. I know we had player availability issues. But he still played him there. 

5 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

When we played Cardiff Nige played Sykes LWB. I know we had player availability issues. But he still played him there. 

It was LB, but yes he did.

image.thumb.jpeg.974cbe1ad066625f7e296841733ad06d.jpeg

Not quite the same as:

image.thumb.png.9cea77473e80ba676d57d0f75fa824c1.png

But the point I’m making is that fans can have a valid point of debate, they don’t have to have coaching badges, etc…especially on a forum, or other social media platforms.

• Flames 1

58 minutes ago, Jobi said:

Yeah agree to a point

Bit like me watching 1000s of planes land and take off from Bristol airport

and thinking i could just jump into the cock pit and fly one

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No ta…there’s some nasty people on OTIB, and I’m a sensitive soul! 🤣

yoom more suited to the teknikul deckchair role anyway. first skills test for pops tho will be chucking waxolas at a dartboard, see if he can make them stick👍

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just let Liam Kelly go, might be looking to replace with a senior player?

Hence why I thought of them - along with him knowing the club from his loan spell before we signed him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It was LB, but yes he did.

image.thumb.jpeg.974cbe1ad066625f7e296841733ad06d.jpeg

Not quite the same as:

image.thumb.png.9cea77473e80ba676d57d0f75fa824c1.png

But the point I’m making is that fans can have a valid point of debate, they don’t have to have coaching badges, etc…especially on a forum, or other social media platforms.

One thing I can guarantee is that LJ, NP, LM and all those before, understand football far better than anyone on OTIB! 

2 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Player availability issues is glossing over just how fecked we were..just checked.

Tanner, McCrorie

Vyner, Atkinson

Roberts

Naismith, Williams, James, King

Benarous

Wells

We had Pring at CB, Sykes at LB and J.James at RB.

Sykes as LWB at Stoke was just shoe horning by comparison.

Perhaps we start JKL to keep Pring at LB, Sykes in favoured RWish but we are really struggling.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

44 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Player availability issues is glossing over just how fecked we were..just checked.

Tanner, McCrorie

Vyner, Atkinson

Roberts

Naismith, Williams, James, King

Benarous

Wells

We had Pring at CB, Sykes at LB and J.James at RB.

Sykes as LWB at Stoke was just shoe horning by comparison.

Perhaps we start JKL to keep Pring at LB, Sykes in favoured RWish but we are really struggling.

that funny manager bloke at man u said this tonight.

"You need players who have confidence to play there, we have players playing in positions who are not used to them and then you make mistakes.

"At a high level you are punished. Or you have to play players who are not fit. That's the situation we are in."

cardiff and stoke spring to mind although i do think  stoke had a smidge of on the beach aswell

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

Do you think that West Brom weren't showing ambition when they signed Weimann?

Or just smart?

Just Smart. I would've kept Weimann. We didn't use him effectively (Nige included) 

3 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

that funny manager bloke at man u said this tonight.

"You need players who have confidence to play there, we have players playing in positions who are not used to them and then you make mistakes.

"At a high level you are punished. Or you have to play players who are not fit. That's the situation we are in."

cardiff and stoke spring to mind although i do think  stoke had a smidge of on the beach aswell

Yep, agreed. One out of position you can get away with, multiple as we had- yeah but problems. Having to shuffle round positions, or playing players at LB, CB, or deeper midfielder or CB- it can wreck continuity.

Agreed on both albeit the situation seemed worse at Stoke relative to the greater availability. We had at 6 out..Atkinson, Pring, Naismith, James, Benarous and Bell- Vyner not fully fit hence the bench.

A bit on the beach but Sykes at LWB when a mere 6 or 7 at worst out..feels a bit far.

• Like 1