IGNORED

SL in the Times-made I laugh

In the Times today interview with Harry Thacker Bristol Bears hooker. No further comment necessary

‘Bristol’s transformation can be credited to a frank changing-room discussion….Steven Lansdown, the club’s billionaire owner, made it clear he was “bored with rugby”…….

Lansdown wanted Bristol to cast off the shackles, urging them to prioritise excitement over results.’

Why interfere. 
He just doesn’t learn does he. 
“I pay your wages and you are boring me. You need to play the way I tell you to and give me some excitement”. 

You can imagine him as one of those Roman emperors, Stevus Lansdownius at the coliseum giving the thumbs up or down. 
“are you not entertained” 

*edit. Not the one on Redcliffe Hill 🍺 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

I think it transformed their performances mind, from serial losers to winners. 

Suspect the same happened on the football side in Spring too.

I think the vast majority of fans on both the rugby and football side agreed with him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stortfordred said:

In the Times today interview with Harry Thacker Bristol Bears hooker. No further comment necessary

‘Bristol’s transformation can be credited to a frank changing-room discussion….Steven Lansdown, the club’s billionaire owner, made it clear he was “bored with rugby”…….

Lansdown wanted Bristol to cast off the shackles, urging them to prioritise excitement over results.’

Nice one Harry. His ego just expanded ten fold! 

Further evidence of his interference & overall control. 

The blokes a narcissist 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I think it transformed their performances mind, from serial losers to winners. 

Suspect the same happened on the football side in Spring too.

I think the vast majority of fans on both the rugby and football side agreed with him.

Thing is I don't think Lam can coach defensive rugby. ( I'm no rugby expert mind) 

May be the best advice Lansdown has given!

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Am I right in thinking Pat Lam said openly that SL was in the changing room earlier this season, telling him what style of rugby he thought was best to play?

Yes Pat has admitted that during the horrendous run around Christmas SL had a chat with him urging him to go back to "the bears way"

• Haha 1

To be fair, I don't mind the owner telling a coach what we all think of the 'entertainment' offered by the team. On the one hand people moan about Manningball being boring and on the other they rail against the Lansdowns for having the arrogance to interfere.

I don't mind having owners who expect our teams to deliver something more than boredom to spectators. Maybe it's just me though.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

To be fair, I don't mind the owner telling a coach what we all think of the 'entertainment' offered by the team. On the one hand people moan about Manningball being boring and on the other they rail against the Lansdowns for having the arrogance to interfere.

I don't mind having owners who expect our teams to deliver something more than boredom to spectators. Maybe it's just me though.

Because it’s not the owners job to tell the manager how to play. 
It’s up to the owner to make the right decisions to put the people in place who will create the entertainment (if that’s what he’s after - personally I prefer winning over entertainment).

It’s not SL’s job to be in the dressing room and tell the players what to do. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

15 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Nor me.  But that should be done via the chain of command, not the Owner going into the dressing room.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

If Steve felt ok with telling Pat Lam ( someone SL himself referred to as the Rugby equivalent of Pep Guardiola)  how to play, you can see why crayon boy felt entitled enough to criticise Nige several times - League position, fitness, conditioning . The Lansdowns have interfered during every manager's tenure, those that resist it don't last long .. Coppell,SOD, Cotts, Nige.

And that’s one of several main reasons, IMO, why their departures cannot come soon enough. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, tin said:

And that’s one of several main reasons, IMO, why their departures cannot come soon enough. 

Yeah, but I wonder who’ll pay all the bills to keep us in the Championship for the next ten years. I presume you’ve got someone in mind who’ll do that. 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 4

4 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Yeah, but I wonder who’ll pay all the bills to keep us in the Championship for the next ten years. I presume you’ve got someone in mind who’ll do that. 

He’s not the only owner who can keep a team in the championship for 10 years. See Preston North End, and they finish above us every season at a fraction of the cost. 

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 10

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

He’s not the only owner who can keep a team in the championship for 10 years. See Preston North End, and they finish above us every season at a fraction of the cost. 

Spot on. Add Millwall, Luton, Brentford, Coventry, Plymouth etc - plenty of examples out there. But don’t worry, based on more than two decades of evidence SL and his boy know everything about what it takes to get to the PL and keep us there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

The "bills" / debts are mostly of his own making, we had very little debt when he became Chairman/ Majority shareholder - his choice to throw money at both Johnson's ( LJ signed 74 players for example) was SL's , there is another way as stated above clubs like PNE and Millwall have comparable records in the Championship and spend much less, and therefore have less "bills". 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

11 minutes ago, tin said:

Spot on. Add Millwall, Luton, Brentford, Coventry, Plymouth etc - plenty of examples out there. But don’t worry, based on more than two decades of evidence SL and his boy know everything about what it takes to get to the PL and keep us there. 

Add Birmingham as well, oh hang on a minute

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

My thoughts also but if the owner feels that he knows more than the coach/manager then he should employ someone like NP (who has forgotten more than SL knows) & let him get on with the job without interference.

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

56 minutes ago, tin said:

54 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The "bills" / debts are mostly of his own making, we had very little debt when he became Chairman/ Majority shareholder - his choice to throw money at both Johnson's ( LJ signed 74 players for example) was SL's , there is another way as stated above clubs like PNE and Millwall have comparable records in the Championship and spend much less, and therefore have less "bills". 

Honestly think it is a bit of A and a bit of B.

They all need equity/cash injections, it just varies. Our trading model was somewhat flawed, as was backing the wrong horse in Lee Johnson.

They also have a much lower commercial income which reduces both cost and income, likewise Depreciation which indicates less expensive Infrastructure.

However the Championship is a moneypit for many, a matter of degree but I don't see what makes the Lansdowns so special in respect of being the only ones who could pay the bills.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Why interfere. 
He just doesn’t learn does he. 
“I pay your wages and you are boring me. You need to play the way I tell you to and give me some excitement”. 

You can imagine him as one of those Roman emperors, Stevus Lansdownius at the coliseum giving the thumbs up or down. 
“are you not entertained” 

*edit. Not the one on Redcliffe Hill 🍺 

Ably accompanied by his son and heir Maximus Bellendus.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, stortfordred said:

And to a certain extent it has worked for the last four or five months. But yesterday against the Kicking in the air, Grinding pack and continual vocal pressure on the referee, the financial cheating Saracens, Bristol Rugby lost.

So now I realise that all Lansdown wants from rugby AND FOOTBALL, is entertainment. To an extent that is what we all want but the prime objective in sport is TO WIN THE MATCH. 

So City don't stand a chance of getting to, and staying there, the Premier League.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

And to a certain extent it has worked for the last four or five months. But yesterday against the Kicking in the air, Grinding pack and continual vocal pressure on the referee, the financial cheating Saracens, Bristol Rugby lost.

So now I realise that all Lansdown wants from rugby AND FOOTBALL, is entertainment. To an extent that is what we all want but the prime objective in sport is TO WIN THE MATCH. 

So City don't stand a chance of getting to, and staying there, the Premier League.

He must be hating our miserly defence 

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I personally don’t want to stay in the prem shit league and VAR, would prefer to become a yo-yo club to keep us competitive in the championship a far better league.

• Hmmm 1